walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Dearg

Meall Dearg

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:08 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Meall Dearg

Date walked: 23/11/2013

Time taken: 1.8 hours

Distance: 5.6 km

Ascent: 385m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I read JC and Graeme D's reports on this hill last weekend then Rod added a report during the week so plenty info for me to digest beforehand.

There didn't seem to be much room to dump the car where Graeme D and Rod started from so I carried on towards Aberfeldy and parked in a lay by 100 yards short of a bridge (over the Cochill Burn) and the entrance to the windfarm.

Starting from the lay by I crossed the road and just walked directly towards Meall Dearg and General Wade's Military road. Some deep heather as well as some damp bits but at least the cold weather has firmed things up a bit.

1.jpg
Early morning sunlight

You would think I meant it, quite by chance I joined the General's road at the exact point where a small cairn marked the point to leave the road and head on up the hill through the heather.

It didn't take long for the gradient to steepen as I followed a burn heading directly up the hill. Sometimes there is some suggestion of a very narrow track but it's one of those you lose very easily.

2.jpg
First view of the summit

Once the summit was in view the gradient eased and it was a fairly easy walk to the summit.

3.jpg
Crossing a snow covered track

On reaching the peat hags below the summit there were a set of size 9 footprints to follow but the ground was fairly firm so no muddy ankles.

4.jpg
Trig point with some warm winter sunshine

5.jpg

6.jpg

A little bit of cloud around but still great views of all the surrounding hills with the higher one's looking like they had a decent covering of snow.

Heading back I just took more or less the same route with the exception of the bog I found as my left leg disappeared to just below the knee................cold!! :shock: :shock:

7.jpg
Meall Dearg from the main road

8.jpg
Nearly back at the car
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland