walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Zig Zags, broad gully and SCNL

Zig Zags, broad gully and SCNL

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:51 pm

Route description: Bidean nam Bian

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 24/11/2013

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Zig Zags and Broad Gully….

Having been struck down by the lurgy and even worse – possibly MANFLU!!!!! – I was feeling a little run down so we decided on a Sunday outing to give me an extra days rest in the hope my energy levels would be a little better come Sunday!!

We had been out in absolutely stunning conditions two weeks previously on Ben More which saw my friends first ascent after back surgery and today would be his first easy mountaineering route since the surgeries.

Over the last few years the Zig Zags have been mentioned as a first route when winter arrived but we always seemed to pick something else and not get up them. However today was different and we left the first car park and headed towards the Lost Valley and the Zig Zags. The snow level was not down as far as Gearr Aonach but there was plenty of water ice around which made things a little slippery, however the route was extremely enjoyable with lots of little bits and bobs of scrambling, I reckon I will visit here again and use this route in the years to come. Coming up and over the nose gave some slight exposure down into Glencoe and the views across the the Aonach Eagach were superb.

The snow level was reached on the ridge of Gearr Aonach and we stopped for a bite to eat with spectacular views over to Stob Coire na Lochan, which was looking wintery. There was broken cloud now, but it was above the summits and the winds were light (if any at all) – very pleasant. Feeling good we decided to have a look at Broad Gully after hoeing and humming about heading up the East Ridge…. The snow was good when we got there, so we took a bimble up broad gully (my first time up – been down it a few times but never ascended it!). Conditions were great and we took our time. SCNL was empty, quietest I think I have ever seen it. There were only three climbing teams that I could see, and hardly any walkers – very unusual for a weekend good weather day – didn’t complain though….

Feeling a little tired – we decided against heading up Bidean and took the eastern should half way down before descending into a snow gully and eventually picking our way back to the path down Coire nan Lochan. By now the clouds had nearly all cleared and we got great views to the Aonach Eagach. The sunset bon the way home was a cracker- all round – a nice wee day out ………..

wilkiemurray

Re: Zig Zags, broad gully and SCNL

Postby Collaciotach » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:31 pm

Gasta a bhalaich :clap: :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby peter tindal » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:36 pm

FAN BLOODY TASTIC ............................... and if thats not a word, it should be :clap: :clap:
peter tindal
Mountain Walker

Munros:231   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:2   Islands:10

Postby gaffr » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:20 am

Very useful view of the terrain in this area for folks to see and the with addition of the second camera gives a much more realistic idea of slope angles. :D Somehow with the continuous use of the head camera I felt that the terrain became seriously distorted. :) I like the 'speed-up' sections which helps with the control over time spent on the work on the snow. Very fine summit area panoramas. Keep up the good work. To me it all seems very professional....and how to manage not to damage your cameras perched on heads in what are quite vulnerable positions. 8)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby GillC » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:58 pm

Hey,,,,smashing pics there,,Im thinking about doing Sgreamhach this weekend,,straight up and down the Lost Valley,,has the bridge reopened there,,? was out last time i was on Bidean (last year)

Cheers
G
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby tweedledog » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:33 pm

Lovely stuff gentlemen. The video cheered up my morning!
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby gman » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:19 pm

Excellent, will have to try the Zig Zags the next time I'm up Bidean. Looks like you had a great day.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Meatball » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:48 pm

Have you ever tried walking in the clag? Lol.
Awesome as always!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby pigeon » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:56 pm

Superb!
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:57 am

Collaciotach wrote:Gasta a bhalaich :clap: :clap:

Thanks - not to sure what Gasta a bhalaich means but hoping its positive :D :lol: :lol:
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:57 am

peter tindal wrote:FAN BLOODY TASTIC ............................... and if thats not a word, it should be :clap: :clap:

Thanks Peter - much appreciated
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:01 am

gaffr wrote:Very useful view of the terrain in this area for folks to see and the with addition of the second camera gives a much more realistic idea of slope angles. :D Somehow with the continuous use of the head camera I felt that the terrain became seriously distorted. :) I like the 'speed-up' sections which helps with the control over time spent on the work on the snow. Very fine summit area panoramas. Keep up the good work. To me it all seems very professional....and how to manage not to damage your cameras perched on heads in what are quite vulnerable positions. 8)

Thanks Gaffr :D

On some more vertical climbs I do often whack te gopro against the rocks which results in damages - however usually a new lens protectoe can be bought to save buying a complete new housing.

The distortion seen with the head cam is probably one of two things - firth the go pro does give a slght fish eye effect and secondly usually the head cam is used when walking and you tube has "stabilisation software" which tries to correct a bumpy images but leave the footage looking somewhat distorted - this is probably the more likely reason for it...

P.S. I sometimes wish I could use a speed up section in situ for myself!! :lol: :lol:
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:02 am

GillC wrote:Hey,,,,smashing pics there,,Im thinking about doing Sgreamhach this weekend,,straight up and down the Lost Valley,,has the bridge reopened there,,? was out last time i was on Bidean (last year)

Cheers
G

Hi Gill- yes the bridge you see me crossing at start I think is the one you are referring too which will take you to the lost valley - some new metal steps down to it have been added (I think) and also fixed ropes on the other side- hope that helps :D
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:03 am

tweedledog wrote:Lovely stuff gentlemen. The video cheered up my morning!

:D :D :D
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:05 am

Meatball wrote:Have you ever tried walking in the clag? Lol.
Awesome as always!

:lol: I try not too :shock: Joke - just don't video much when claggy

Been really jammy onlast few trip - however long may thejammieness continue
wilkiemurray

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland