walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Challum Police Call

Ben Challum Police Call

Postby seamus0 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:40 pm

Route description: Ben Challum, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Ben Challum

Date walked: 23/11/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 13 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Challum is one of those hills I always fancied doing in the winter given that is has easy access from a road, is not that exposed, and requires minimal navigation as its a straight up and back down the same route. I camped out at Auchtertyre farm just near the railway bridge the night before as I had arrived quite late in the day. Little did I know this would involve a call from the police the day later!

IMGP1306_SMALL.jpg
Car Park Sign at farm

The next day I packed up after a relatively cozy night in my tent. I packed up and walked back to my car which was parked at the car park at the farm. I took my tent out and sprawled it on the back seat to dry, then headed off to climb Ben Challumn. The route was relatively simple to follow.
IMGP1307_SMALL.jpg
Start of walk

I walked through the Wigwam huts towards the railway bridge, following their signposted "sheep trail".

IMGP1311_SMALL.jpg
Walk through the wigwams

IMGP1319_SMALL.jpg
Railway bridge

Climbing over a fence I then headed up NE. The ground was quite 'hilly' for want of a better word, with small hillocks that require negotiation.

IMGP1320_SMALL.jpg
Hilly start

On the way up I got great views of the Crianlarich hills and Ben Lui in the distance.

dk_IMG_5607_SMALL.jpg
Ben Lui in background

I didn't hit the snow line until around 600m. The snow was quite soft and crampons weren't required, however there were several folks coming off the hill with them on. They confirmed it wasn't necessary.

On the way up I stopped to take several photos enjoying the surrounding scenery.

dk_IMG_5648_SMALL.jpg
Crianlarich Hills

Ben chillum is made of 2 tops. Upon reaching the top of the climb, you could be fooled to think you had reached the top as there is a cairn at 998m. however this is only the south top. The actual top is around 500m further North and another small climb up. All in all around 3 hrs to get there at a slow pace.

IMGP1328_SMALL.jpg
South Top

IMGP1330_SMALL.jpg
North Top in distance

dk_IMG_5699_SMALL.jpg
Fellow walkers making their way up

dk_IMG_5659_SMALL.jpg
Reaching the Top

ben_challum_SMALL.jpg
Ben Challum Panorama

After spending 15 mins enjoying the fantastic panorama, I came down the same route, and heard a beep beep from my phone. I took the time to listen to my messages one of which was from Police Scotland asking them to phone them as soon as possible, At this point I thought my car had been broken into or worse. After giving them a call I was informed the lady in the farm shop was worried that my car had been left overnight and was still there the next day in the car park. She had thought I had an accident in the hills and was about to phone the mountain rescue! Apparently the police had come to my car, saw my tent in the back seat, and guessed I was up the hill still. just as well! I wouldn't want to think the mountain rescue would be called out on an whim....

So when I got back down, I called into the farm shop and spoke to the lady. We did see the funny side of it, but at the same time she did say a similar instance happened a month ago where a chap did get lost in the hills. It does make you think. so I guess the moral of the story is if your car is going to be parked up overnight leave a note in the shop to let them know. Leaving a note in the car leaves it open to invitation! I did buy some stuff off her to say thanks for her concern.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

seamus0
Munro compleatist

Munros:138   Corbetts:2

Re: Ben Challum Police Call

Postby ballarat » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:37 pm

nice report and pics,well done to the lady in the shop
ballarat
Hill Bagger

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland