walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Some Donalds & a Graham called Andrew

Some Donalds & a Graham called Andrew

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:10 am

Fionas included on this walk: Andrewhinney Hill

Donalds included on this walk: Andrewhinney Hill, Bell Craig, Bodesbeck Law, Herman Law

Date walked: 03/11/2013

Time taken: 4.45 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I started the walk from Birkhill and headed up to Herman Law, the first Donald of the day. This initial climb up was the hardest part of the day and from here on the walk was fairly easy going along good firm gound with only a few boggy sections to negotiate. The only other problem encountered was the wind and i almost lost my shelter as i got in it to have lunch at Mid Rig. From Herman i then made my way over to Andrewhinney Hill, the Graham and from the over to the two other Donalds, Bell Craig and Bodesbeck Law. After reaching Bodesbeck Law i now had to get back to the car and the easiest way was to retrace my steps. I only went as far as Andrewhinney though before heading in a north east direction before crossing a burn and skirting round Trowgairn Middle and picking up a ATV track that led down to Birkihill. This route back gave me a good view of the Greymares Tail waterfall. I arrived back at the car 4hrs 45 mins after setting off.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

https://plus.google.com/photos/110051255472035874897/albums/5943816991260400721
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Some Donalds & a Graham called Andrew

Postby gmr82 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:30 pm

Nice photos JC, did this is Feb I think in cracking sunshine. You really need to give the nearby Donalds of the Ettrick Horseshoe a go, much better than this walk and there is nothing bad about this walk either. You also forgot to mention the Donalds called Herman and Mr.Craig :wink:
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Collaciotach » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:17 am

Wonder who Andrew Whinney was ? :?
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby rockhopper » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:36 am

All these grahams and donalds you do are becoming infectious - am hoping to get down here some time possibly over winter and will be consulting some of your TRs - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:38 am

gmr82 wrote:Nice photos JC, did this is Feb I think in cracking sunshine. You really need to give the nearby Donalds of the Ettrick Horseshoe a go, much better than this walk and there is nothing bad about this walk either. You also forgot to mention the Donalds called Herman and Mr.Craig :wink:
Hi gmr, yes i have plans to do that horseshoe, it looks a cracking route. Cheers :)
Collaciotach wrote:Wonder who Andrew Whinney was ? :?
With your knowledge of history you're tha man who would know :wink:
rockhopper wrote:All these grahams and donalds you do are becoming infectious - am hoping to get down here some time possibly over winter and will be consulting some of your TRs - cheers :)
Cheers, some of the walking down "south" is superb, nice and firm underfoot. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby meangarry » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:42 pm

I know the area was used as a hiding place for covenanters in the killing times, nearby watch knowe was used as a look out for the redcoats coming up from thier base in Moffat. Whats more interesting for me is the slightly welsh sounding Carrifran Gans on the other side of the valley. Where did that name come from?
Your route along the tops was originally the intended route for the southern upland way which now runs along the ettrick valley. It was changed so as not to disturb ground nesting birds and birds of prey along these tops.
meangarry

Munros:29   Corbetts:19
Fionas:15   Donalds:60
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:23   

Postby wjshaw2 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:49 pm

Whats more interesting for me is the slightly welsh sounding Carrifran Gans on the other side of the valley. Where did that name come from?

Well, Welsh was spoken around here at one point...
wjshaw2
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:64
Fionas:65   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:164   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:15   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland