walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dalmally Pair - Beinn a'Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich

Dalmally Pair - Beinn a'Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich

Postby JimboJim » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:32 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chochuill & Beinn Eunaich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chochuill, Beinn Eunaich

Date walked: 30/05/2013

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1180m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With a good day forecast and few hills done this year, it was a difficult choice whether to go for the hills, or a good bike ride. Big Jesper was still working, so it gave me the chance to fly solo again and the attraction of two nearby hills, with limited navigational issues, proved too much to resist.
I left home early and about 8a.m, drove past the bridge where one starts, not paying enough attention, probably gazing at the hills too much. Five minutes later it clicked, I had gone too far and soon found the right spot to park, though it is a little inconspicuous at first, so just watch for that.
The track up to the farm, then left up the hill is straight forward enough. If wishing to tackle Beinn Eunaich first, keep your eye out for a wee cairn about two/three feet high on the right, which marks the path up a very steep slope. Not for me, I can tell you, though I did meet one rather mature chap, coming the opposite way, who had just done it and said, he was ready to do some running! Good luck, mate.
116_1067_800.JPG
Wee cairn by roadside.

Anyway, I carried on the track, to where it branches up to the right and as per the route described on the WH site, followed that up about another 100 yards before turning NW onto the hill proper, gradually finding a track, the higher up I went.
043_1140_800.JPG
On the ridge.
Once on the ridge proper, it was a fairly straightforward walk out to Beinn a'Chochuill, enjoying some good views towards Cruachan.
041_800_574.JPG
Mighty Cruachan.
048_1067_800.JPG
Snow still deep, 3'
050_800_568.JPG
Towards cruachan from Beinn a'Chochuill.
057_799_600.JPG
Ben Cruachan.
058_790_600.JPG
Westward to Connel Bridge.

After a quick snack, it was back along the same track, then a further drop down to Lairig Lanachan, with a good view of the track up Beinn Eunaich, which didn't take too long to reach.
070_1089_800.JPG
Route up Beinn Eunaich from Beinn a'Chochuill
081_1025_800.JPG
Cairn Beinn Eunaich.
087_1086_800.JPG
Beinn O'Chochuill from Beinn Eunaich.
075_1067_800.JPG
Kilchurn
105_800_551.JPG
Loch Awe & Kilchurn.

Visibility and the views were good, but I remember being surprised at the steep drop, not far to the east, which I thought might catch you out in poorer vis. From the top, I enjoyed a fairly hasty, but comfortable treck down the ridge towards Stob Maol, though the descent from here, back onto the road, as mentioned earlier, is very steep.
Back at the car in about four and a half hours. A braw day!
118_1081_800.JPG
Coire Chreachainn.
Attachments
083_1045_800.JPG
Ben Starav.
085_1097_800.JPG
Loch Etive.
093_1067_800.JPG
The Ben
107_1068_800.JPG
Ben Lui.
056_1149_800.JPG
Stob Diamh
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland