walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vane-3rd Successful attempt-Munro 15

Ben Vane-3rd Successful attempt-Munro 15

Postby DJG78 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:15 pm

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 03/03/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 915m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Good old Ben Vane. My 3rd attempt to climb this bad boy. This is the first time the weather had been decent so I was looking forward to reaching the summit after being foiled twice before. As I marched up the long winding road bored with its familiarity I was thinking that this would be an easy hike as its one of the smallest Munros and doesn’t look that big from the road in. I was also keen to experience the views over Beinn Narnain and Bienn Ime, which I had recently conquered!

The other reason for choosing this short and small Munro was the fact that I climbed Ben Cruachan and Stob Diamh yesterday and was knackered with very sore knee’s. I thought this would be a bit more manageable distance wise than An Caisteal which I had originally planned to climb.

After ascending over half way I was quite chuffed at my progress and seemed to be smoothly marching up without any problems. Yet the route I chose was quite steep so I was confused over how well I was handling it especially the state my legs were in from yesterday.

After quite a few false summits but some great climbing up the steep slopes and gully’s I stopped for some lunch. There was little sun today due to the hazy blanket of cloud but all summits were fog free so the views were fab. One thing that struck me was how high I was. For a small Munro I think it’s probably one of the steepest I’ve climbed so the view and distance back down to the road really surprised me.

I reached the fresh and icy cold summit after 2.5hrs with a big smile on my face as I really enjoyed this ascent. Considering the steepness it seemed to suit my walking pace. During ascent, as soon as I felt tired, it opened up to give me a small plateau in which to catch my breath, then when I recovered the hill kept presenting me with some good snow and ice to challenge the ice axe and crampons and some twisty gully paths with fun scrambling. I am glad I gave Ben Vane a 3rd shot as it’s a tough, steep, deceptively high entertaining Munro which I’d be happy to do again!!

SDC11873.JPG

SDC11870.JPG

SDC11871.JPG
DJG78
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Re: Ben Vane-3rd Successful attempt-Munro 15

Postby Milesy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:28 pm

Thought you were giving up winter hills? :lol:

Well Done on persevering with it. Worth it :D
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby monty » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:43 pm

Well done on your winter climb on Ben Vane. I done this one in the summer and loved it. Its deceptively tough with all those false summits. Love the picture with the ice axe on the summit :D
monty

Postby kevsbald » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:42 pm

The smaller ones are sometimes the ones you need to watch out for - 1800ft of 45 degree unrelenting slog - love it!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby DJG78 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:39 pm

Milesy wrote:Thought you were giving up winter hills? :lol:

Well Done on persevering with it. Worth it :D

Ha ha so did i mate but i'm a sucker for punishment. Plus i have some winter skills and a bit more experience now so it really makes all the difference. Cheers Milesy
DJG78
Mountain Walker

Postby DJG78 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:40 pm

kevsbald wrote:The smaller ones are sometimes the ones you need to watch out for - 1800ft of 45 degree unrelenting slog - love it!

Couldnt agree more mate......great fun! Cheers
DJG78
Mountain Walker

Postby DJG78 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:43 pm

monty wrote:Well done on your winter climb on Ben Vane. I done this one in the summer and loved it. Its deceptively tough with all those false summits. Love the picture with the ice axe on the summit :D

Cheers Monty...stuck the ice axe in to prove i'd done it. Plus i'd seen other similar photos which looked cool so i thought i'd copy!! I wish i was that original :D
DJG78
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland