walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ingleborough

Ingleborough

Postby johnnyaztec » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:15 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Ingleborough, Simon Fell

Date walked: 19/02/2010

Time taken: 4

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 670m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It is nearly twenty years since i last visited the summit of Ingleborough it was on my Duke Of Edinburgh silver award 1991,it was also the second mountain that i had ever climbed,Pen y Ghent being the first the day previously.We were actually meant to climb Whernside as well that same day but being young and devious and somewhat lacking the necessary motivation by the time we had reached the bottom of it we decided upon an easier detour at valley level.
Unbeknown to us however our assessors were waiting at the summit trig on Whernside to make sure our map reading had gone to plan,which in truth it had to be said had gone exactly to plan, we were right where we wanted to be,making our way to the final checkpoint less 4 - 500 m of ascent.
Unfortunately however our very harsh assessors did not accept that we had passed over the top somewhere slightly lower down the summit area and that we had missed one another in the cloud that had enveloped the mountains upper reaches that day and they subsequently failed us.

Fast foward to 2010 and again i have omitted Whernside from my intended route although this time i was disappointed at having to do so,my route which shrank from 27km down to 15km was due in part to slightly thicker snow coverage than i had expected and a time consideration.

After a less than promising start at home which was experiencing rain and extensive cloud cover i was fearing the worst for the day, but travelling up the M6 the rain began to dissapate and some sunlight began to show itself in and out of the fog patches.The weather report for Yorkshire dales basically worked out as horrible and claggy in the morning ,with lots of sunshine in the afternoon.As it turned out the reversing of that forecast would have been more accurate.

I passed through Ingleton on my way to park to buy a map for the area,before carrying onto the Clapham road to park near to Cold Cotes.Start height for the walk was about 260m with only a dusting of snow underfoot,i made good progress upto the area of Boggarts roaring holes (had to include that name somewhere in the report)before the snow started to thicken up and the sweat started to trickle.Escaping from the valley the visibility improved with great views over towards Gragareth and Scales Moor.

P1000554.JPG
Looking Back,heading up!

P1000556.JPG
First Glimpse of Ingleborough

P1000555.JPG
Gragareth

After 50 mins of graft i reached Little Ingleborough which opened up the view of the eastern dales beyond to Pen y Ghent and Fountains Fell and to the last push for the summit,after ploughing through some undisturbed snow for a few minutes i hit what felt like the path and made good time for the summit about a Kilometre away.

P1000567.JPG
Pen y Ghent

P1000570.JPG
Looking back toward Little Ingleborough

P1000572.JPG
Ingleborough Summit

The cloud was starting to overcast the day by the time i reached the top but was staying well above the summits.After a good feed and water at the shelter i was on my way to claim my outlying Hewitt, Simon Fell ,dropping off the NE shoulder there were some fabulous views of the Ribblehead viaduct and of the Limestone pavement more immeadiately below,and good views of Whernside across the valley i carried on and made my way carefully down to the saddle and stretched out towards my next objective passing a few other people heading back towards Ingleborough along the way.The top of Simon Fell gave up the best view of Pen y Ghent i stayed only long enough to get some quick photos before retracing my steps back toward Ingleborough.

P1000575.JPG
Whernside with Ribblehead viaduct

P1000579.JPG
The Mighty Simon Fell

Reaching the saddle i turned and headed down the steep north slope towards the Limestone pavement, so steep was it in fact i seriously considered for a few minutes about breaking out the survival bag to sled down ,how grateful i was moments later as i felt all the large boulders beneath my feet that good sense had returned quickly,after a frantic five minutes of falling and sliding i reached the bottom of the slope with all limbs in tact and headed away for a short while on a good path before following a wall on my left hand side until i reached the limestone pavement and ventured onto it ,it was a little slippy with the snow coverage but seemed like playing a giant game of hopscotch crossing the gaps in it, sometimes quite large gaps. In the breaks between the stones i followed animal tracks in my direction of travel in the snow it seems they like to take the easiest line on the hill too,as i contoured with them round the side of Ingleborough.

P1000586.JPG
Steep Slope down

P1000594.JPG
Ingleborough and the Limestone Pavement

P1000596.JPG
Lonely tree

I eventually sidled upto the lonely tree after a good 40 mins of walking, sprouting up from the cracks in the limestone it looks like something out of a horror movie.Shortly after the tree the pavement ended and i descended a short but steep slope down to the main path near to Crina Bottom then turning and heading across fields towards Slatenber and the car taking in the last glimpses of Ingleborough along the way.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3356" rel="nofollow" rel="nofollow" rel="nofollow" rel="nofollow" rel="nofollow

P1000601.JPG

Ingleborough.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by johnnyaztec on Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
johnnyaztec
Mountain Walker

Munros:77   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Ingleborough

Postby CurlyWurly » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:35 pm

Great report. I really like the 'Ingleborough and the Limestone Pavement' photograph.

The Three Peaks is an amazing area, I love the approach to Ingleborough from Clapham passing Gaping Gill and over little Ingleborough. One of my favourite walks :)
CurlyWurly
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Fionas:17   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:50   

Postby johnnyaztec » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:25 pm

Yeah its an amazing area full of very odd stuff, Gaping Gill being a good example of that.hoping to be back in the dales again next month.
johnnyaztec
Mountain Walker

Postby mountain coward » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:18 pm

Ah - my local keep-fit stomping grounds - not been up in that much snow yet though strangely... Ingleborough summit plateau was where I once froze the capillaries in my arms due to stomping up in a t-shirt in snow and an icy wind but mistakely thinking I was warm!

Limestone pavement in snow always worries me - I always wonder where the grikes are under all that smooth covering and exactly when I'm going to break my ankle!

Some nice photos there!
mountain coward

Postby johnnyaztec » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:40 am

no frozen capillaries to speak of ,the grikes werent snowed over just a covering on the top of the stones,which were a little slippy here and there.
Your lucky to have that on your doorstep MC
johnnyaztec
Mountain Walker

Postby mountain coward » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:46 am

Well I have our moors on my doorstep and that's like a smaller version of Dartmoor so that's great (see my recent posts for snowy pics up there) - the tors are great. But the 3 peaks area is only around 20 miles away so I go there quite a bit - usually on the train - less hassle than the road. May be going that way on Wed this week...
mountain coward

Postby johnnyaztec » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:13 pm

Lucky you,im going nowhere this week except work,although were out on strike next week so i might have a trip back up your way then.

Ive often fancied getting the train to the start of a walk but it seems like too many changes coming from liverpool to make it a viable alternative to the car for a day trip,i must try it for a overnighter though.
johnnyaztec
Mountain Walker

Postby mountain coward » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:51 pm

Wow - a strike? haven't heard of one of those for quite some time - what do you do?

Was up Penyghent today - was funny as we didn't take 'spikes' of any kind as there was no snow around here - when we got there it was pretty snowy and quite a bit of ice. Luckily we were going up the south ridge and that had mainly cleared so we just went carefully up and back that way!
mountain coward

Postby johnnyaztec » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:10 am

I work on a military establishment,it turns out we wont be joining the aforementioned strike action after all, so no walkies for me next week.

Pen y ghent looked very snowed up last week.I opted for no spikes when i was up there the conditions were ok for it though.
Last edited by johnnyaztec on Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnnyaztec
Mountain Walker

Postby mountain coward » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:43 am

I'm ex military... We could have done a lot more on Penyghent yesterday if we'd had spikes so I wish we'd at least taken our microspikes...
mountain coward

Postby colgregg » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:35 am

Was on Ingleborough today (Sat) couldn't see a damned thing. Just my luck to pick today after several decent days!! At least I got 11 miles worth of exercise, saw Gaping Gill again, and Checked out the easy bits of Long churn cave. I'll make it a summer trip next time!!
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181

Postby johnnyaztec » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:08 pm

Bloody weather,very annoying,better luck next time!
johnnyaztec
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland