walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Skye Walking

Skye Walking

Postby islayhawk » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:04 pm

Looking for ideas for walking in Skye next year - probably May - August . My Son will be 40yrs and he is wanting to go for a weekend walking in Skye . We are fairly experienced walkers and fitness will not be a problem. We are looking for two or three walks that we could do over two days. We are not looking for anything really challenging but something that will be scenic and and although not a challenge will offer a slight degree of difficulty.

islayhawk
islayhawk
Hill Bagger

Re: Skye Walking

Postby jmarkb » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:57 pm

jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:03 pm

I have a cracking wee book called Walks from Sligachan and Glen Brittle published by the Skye Rescue Team covers everything from low level walks to climbing Corbetts & Munros.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Boris_the_Bold » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:08 pm

The Quiraing
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/quiraing.shtml
is memorable and can be tackled in almost all weathers.

Also taking the boat from Elgol to Loch Coruisk and following the path from there along Glen Sigachan back to the Sligachan hotel is also good, though probably requires two cars - I don't see this one in the Walkhighlands list, but its probably about 12Km, without too much ascent - quite a few stream crossings though, so perhaps best avoided after heavy rain.

Hope this helps

Enjoy!

BtB
Boris_the_Bold
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:38
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   Islands:32

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:08 pm

DSCF2924 - view from the Quirang (2).jpg
View from the Quirang
DSCF2924 - view from the Quirang (2).jpg
View from the Quirang
islayhawk wrote:Looking for ideas for walking in Skye next year - probably May - August . My Son will be 40yrs and he is wanting to go for a weekend walking in Skye . We are fairly experienced walkers and fitness will not be a problem. We are looking for two or three walks that we could do over two days. We are not looking for anything really challenging but something that will be scenic and and although not a challenge will offer a slight degree of difficulty.

islayhawk

I can massively recommend the Quirang, and you can make your walk as long or as short as you want. And it's fantastic in wet or dry weather. And it's not physically heavy at all, but the views - weather permitting - are to die for.

[attachment=0]DSCF2924 - view from the Quirang (2).jpg]

Also I would agree that one of the non-technical tops on the Black Cuillin Ridge, or indeed Bla Bheinn - again for the amazing views if the weather is good.

Enjoy anyway

Alter Knacker
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby RicKamila » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:53 pm

Ben Tianavaig is a lovely walk from the Braes just south of Portree. Magnificent views of Trotternish, Portree and the Cuillins. We got stuck in a rainstorm which all of a sudden cleared and we saw a Sea Eagle harrassing a Golden Eagle before its partner appeared and chased the Sea Eagle away.

BenT.jpg

portree.jpg

Old Man of Storr is a nice walk too, although they have de-forested a lot of it. Go just to witness the crazy things people wear going up to the Old Man and the Needle... :lol:

Storr.jpg

Agree with the Quiraing, that one is stunning!! There is a small bit about 15 minutes into the walk if you do the WH route in reverse as we did where you have to scramble down and up some rocks (which will be near the end of the walk using WH's route description), but its fairly easy to do. Head up to the trig point on Meall a' Suiramach and you'll be rewarded on a clear day with some of the finest views of the Western Isles.

Staffin.jpg

There's also Rubha Huinish further up the Flodigarry road where you can see whales (or submarines!!) from. Fairy Pools down Glenbrittle way is stunning and the Coral Beach near Dunvegan Castle is a pleasant wander too.

coral.jpg
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby oldrayne75 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:54 am

Lots of good recommendations here. In addition you could consider one of MacLeod's Tables or the walk to Dunvegan Head if you are in the Dunvegan area at all. Routes for both on WH I think.
oldrayne75
Hill Bagger

Munros:235   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:14   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:7

Postby islayhawk » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:15 pm

Thanks everyone for advice. Some spectacular walks and views. They will give me something to mull over during the winter. Thanks once again

Islayhawk
islayhawk
Hill Bagger

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion