walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Postby JimboJim » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:12 pm

Route description: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers

Date walked: 20/09/2013

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 11.3 km

Ascent: 915m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Been a while since I did this one, but photo's remind me, it was not the most memorable of days, mainly due to a bit more cloud than predicted.
BL 001_1067_800.JPG
Beinn Ghlas
BL 002_1114_800.JPG
Killin.

I do remember being first in the car park, though when I got back, there must have been a dozen or more cars. Beinn Ghlas looked reasonably clear from low down, but alas wasn't to stay that way. I think my only moment of doubt on the way up, was whether to take the path left, or go ahead, having left the wooded area, facing the ridge of Beinn Ghlas. After a few false summits the mist came in and nothing could be seen from the summit cairn, reached in about an hour and twenty.
BL 009_1067_800.JPG
To Ben Lawers.
BL 005_1067_800.JPG
Down Allt a'Chobhair from bealach.
BL 003_1067_800.JPG
BG Cairn

Ben Lawers was well hidden too, but the well trodden path meant my weak navigation skills would not be put to the test and I was at the windy summit less than forty minutes later.
BL 014_1067_800.JPG
Ben Lawers summit.
BL 013_1067_800.JPG
BL 012_1067_800.JPG

A few photo's, some grub, then it was time to beat a hasty retreat, as it was quite windy and chilly.
I chose to come down the bypass path, from the bealach and heads round the north side of Beinn Ghlas.
BL 019_1067_800.JPG
An Stuc.
BL 017_1067_800.JPG
Heading down.
BL 020_1067_800.JPG
?Meall Corranaich.
It was soon after this my right foot started to ache from my new boots. Funny, I had done Ben More and Stob Binnein, not long before without a twinge! Anyway, hirpling a bit, I was back at the car in just over three and a quarter hours and things beginning to look much brighter again towards Ben Lawers. Typical.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Re: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Postby chompish » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:56 pm

looks like you had a decent day.

About the boots, i had the exact same issue. New boots were fine for the first few days then my right foot started hurting after a while. turned out they were too tight on the lower lacing, loosened them up and they were fine. Hope that helps :)
chompish
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:10   

Postby JimboJim » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:14 pm

Thanks, Chompish, I suppose weather could have been worse, much worse! Boots still nip a bit over a long hike, but 'getting there.' Had to do lot of stretching with various implements and tried different lace-ups, which maybe helped a bit.
Cheers.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby anxious-ambler » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:34 pm

Loved reading this report JimboJim!

Brought back memories of a very similar day I had on these hills last year (http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25255) - looked like it might clear, then got stuck in a cloud, by the time I was down it was starting to shift! looking back it was a great day though, thank you for bringing back those memories!
anxious-ambler

Munros:36   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   

Postby JimboJim » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:40 pm

Thank you, nervy one, though I think you will be getting more assured now, judging by number you've managed. Yes, conditions look similar to what you got. Enjoyed your report too. Can sense your emotion and know that feeling too.
Maybe catch you somewhere out there. Happy hiking and a Merry Christmas.
Jimmy

anxious-ambler wrote:Loved reading this report JimboJim!

Brought back memories of a very similar day I had on these hills last year (http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25255) - looked like it might clear, then got stuck in a cloud, by the time I was down it was starting to shift! looking back it was a great day though, thank you for bringing back those memories!
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Graeme D » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:27 pm

Looks like a pretty decent day out to me! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby anxious-ambler » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:59 pm

JimboJim wrote:Thank you, nervy one, though I think you will be getting more assured now, judging by number you've managed. Yes, conditions look similar to what you got. Enjoyed your report too. Can sense your emotion and know that feeling too.
Maybe catch you somewhere out there. Happy hiking and a Merry Christmas.
Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy! I recently reached number 20 on Beinn a'Chreachain - I'd hoped to get more in this year but it wasn't to be! Got a bit lazy at posting on WalkHighlands although one of my resolutions for next year is to post more Walk Reports! (I do write them on my blog: http://anxious-ambler.blogspot.co.uk/) I do really enjoy reading everyone else's reports :)
Indeed, maybe see you on the hills soon! Have a great Christmas yourself!
Helen :)
anxious-ambler

Munros:36   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   

Postby JimboJim » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:18 pm

Hi Helen, so it's a jumper for you for Christmas! Enjoyed wee look at your blog. Yes, Beinn a'Chreachain and Beinn Achaladair was a killer for me, too. We did it the opposite way. Must say though, I found the lochan most appealing and could have dived in!
Happy Hiking next year. I've just gone and done my back in!
Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy! I recently reached number 20 on Beinn a'Chreachain - I'd hoped to get more in this year but it wasn't to be! Got a bit lazy at posting on WalkHighlands although one of my resolutions for next year is to post more Walk Reports! (I do write them on my blog: http://anxious-ambler.blogspot.co.uk/) I do really enjoy reading everyone else's reports :)
Indeed, maybe see you on the hills soon! Have a great Christmas yourself!
Helen :)[/quote]
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland