walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blood and snotters - Damhain done, Fhudhair failed

Blood and snotters - Damhain done, Fhudhair failed

Postby Graeme D » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Damhain

Date walked: 14/12/2013

Time taken: 3.8 hours

Distance: 10.7 km

Ascent: 740m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The phrase "blood and snotters" was used during a piece on the BBC Radio Scotland Outdoor show which I was listening to this morning en route to this walk. Little did I know then that it would be a very apt title for my walk on a very wet and wild Saturday. :roll:

I had originally planned one of my bogey hills for this weekend - Beinn Mheadhoin. I planned to walk in on the Friday evening to the Hutchison Hut before claiming the pesky hill in the morning. In fact, I had originally scheduled it for last weekend, but then something else came up and put paid to that. Then Kev and I had planned a walk for next Saturday before my wife informed me that I was going through to Paisley that day to pick up my niece and bring her through to Perth. So it had to be this weekend, and Mheadhoin was back on. I mentioned it to Kev and he was interested. However a few days later he had to pull out so it was just me. Then the weather forecast for the weekend suggested the weather was going to turn pants. In the meantime however my mother-in-law had made arrangements to have Ailsa this weekend, and with Debbie at a work Christmas do on the Friday night and then out on Saturday for a boozy afternoon with some other mums, it looked like the ideal opportunity for me to get out. If only the forecast wasn't crap. :twisted:

Before I knew the forecast, I had already scrapped the Beinn Mheadhoin idea and had formed a notion of driving up on the Saturday morning to do Spidean Mialach and Gleouraich. The forecast then put paid to that, and any notions of a similar scale. By Friday evening when I was checking various weather sites and watching forecasts on TV, I was on the verge of packing it in altogether, but given the open goalmouth, so to speak, I had to get out somehow. I hadn't been out since the Kinlochleven meet in early November and the last week or two at work had been hard, with a huge workload ahead of the home straight to the Christmas holidays, so I really needed a hill fix. :wink:

I packed, looked out a few maps to give me some options, and set the alarm for 6.30 - the forecasts had suggested that the day would start better than it would later become. As it was, I was awake a little before that. Looking outside all looked calm. I had breakfast and made the decision to go for Meall an Fhudhair and Beinn Damhain.

An uneventful journey had me up at the start in Glen Falloch by 9 o'clock and off up the track 10 minutes later with Lucy in tow. A landrover passed us just before the railway bridge but that was all the human life I saw until I got back down almost to the car nearly 4 hours later. Strange! :eh:

Anyway, as for the title, well it was fairly obvious from the outset that today would be an ongoing and ultimately losing battle against the snotters. As for the blood, there were a couple of blood loss incidents to provide distraction from the drenching. :lol:

IMG_0181.JPG
Start in Glen Falloch

IMG_0182.JPG
Up through the trees towards the railway

IMG_0185.JPG
Glimpse of a railway bridge

IMG_0186.JPG
Crossing the railway

IMG_0187.JPG
Rail tracks from the bridge

IMG_0190.JPG
Loch Lomond coming into view

IMG_0193.JPG
The Troisgeach ridge from the junction in the track

IMG_0194.JPG
Across Glen Falloch

Just before the junction in the track the rain came on and the waterproofs came out. From then on it was a real drenching. I quickly decided to give the Corbett a miss today and just get the Graham under my belt. Frankly I couldn't be arsed doing the tricky looking Troisgeach ridge in these conditions! :crazy:

IMG_0196.JPG
The Troisgeach ridge again

IMG_0197.JPG
Beinglas Farm and Beinn a'Chabhair

IMG_0198.JPG
The Troisgeach ridge again - won't be getting up there today!

IMG_0199.JPG
Zip slide to Loch Lomond

IMG_0201.JPG
Beinn Damhain ahead

IMG_0202.JPG
Troisgeach and small dam

IMG_0203.JPG
River crossing (would be more of a challenge on the walk back out)

The wind wasn't quite as bad as some of the more eye-watering forecasts of gusts approaching and indeed exceeding 100mph, but once I got above about 600 metres it started to really wind up. There were one or two exposed stretches where I was really glad that I wasn't on an exposed ridge or the Cairngorm plateau. :shock:

IMG_0204.JPG
Meall an Fhudhair

IMG_0205.JPG
Beinn Damhain

IMG_0206.JPG
Nearing the summit - just one more dip and then the final climb

Just before the summit came the first blood loss incident - a slip on a sodden scrambling section (I had taken my Sealskinz gloves off to get a better handhold and besides, even they had completely waterlogged in the downpour) - resulting in a gash on the palm of my left hand. :(

IMG_0207.JPG
Lochan Beinn Damhain from the summit

IMG_0208.JPG
Bedraggled summit selfie

I didn't linger at the summit before taking a more direct line back down into the glen for the walk back through what could only be described as a swamp to the little dam at the start of the track. Just by the dam came the second blood loss incident of the day when I suddenly tasted blood in my mouth before realising that I had a nose bleed. It was quickly stemmed and I resumed my walk back along the track below Troisgeach. It was frightening how the water courses had swollen. Torrents of water were now rushing off the slopes and into the ditches by the track. These were now not coping and the track was beginning to flood in places.

I was back at the car in just under four hours and Lucy seemed very pleased to be able to jump up into the back of the car and stretch out. I did what I could to dry out before heading to the Londis store in Crianlarich to pick up some beer and then negotiating the surface water on the roads back to Perth for a well deserved hot shower. :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Blood and snotters - Damhain done, Fhudhair failed

Postby PeteR » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:31 pm

Good effort in getting out Graeme :clap: I'm suffering from a similar hill fever at the moment and (currently :lol: ) fully intend to venture out somewhere myself tomorrow :roll:

Despite the weather you had today there were still some good views to be had by the looks of it. Shame you didn't get the opportunity for the Corbett though, as it's a good little hill in my view. Still, you can return when the weather is fairer :D Same as you will be able to do with Mheadhoin one day.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:52 pm

Well done Mr D :thumbup:

Hard to believe that you didn't see anyone out on the hills today, where was everyone??? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PS very nice selfie :D :D :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:54 pm

Well done on still getting out there today Graeme,you're a braver (or more foolhardy) man than me. Still some decent views by the looks of it despite the grim weather.
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:43   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:28

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:21 am

Good on you on getting out! :) that looked pretty horrible, yet early in the morning it wasn't so bad in Carnoustie, then the wind picked up, and I was glad I was doing DIY :lol: Well done though, bet that hot bath felt good! :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:14 pm

Rather you than me, that looked miserable. I settled for the footie on the radio yesterday and a quick walk this morning when the weather had improved.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby pigeon » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:47 pm

Aye it's been a grim weekend Graeme,you did well to brave the elements :lol: Here's hoping for some decent days over the hols.
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:132
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:21 pm

You :crazy: man. Good to see you doing something tougher than the Rannoch Moor Marilyn :thumbup:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:04 pm

You did well a'bhalaich , you would not have managed to stand over here at sea level such was the wind :crazy:

Aye need a fix myself , early November as well
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby Graeme D » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:37 pm

Cheers folks!

pollyh33 wrote:PS very nice selfie

Hmmm, yeah, not sure I'll be updating my avatar or FB profile pic with this one any time soon! :lol:

The Rodmiester wrote:Well done though, bet that hot bath felt good!

It was bliss, and the cold beer afterwards wasn't too shabby either! :wink:

Johnny Corbett wrote:You :crazy: man. Good to see you doing something tougher than the Rannoch Moor Marilyn :thumbup:

Yeah JC, I just couldn't bring myself to do the Rannoch Moor Marilyns! :shock:
Graeme D

Postby kevsbald » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:34 pm

Well done - it's a good wee hill. Sorry we never got Mheadhoin done - maybe January 17th?
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Graeme D » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:55 pm

kevsbald wrote:Well done - it's a good wee hill. Sorry we never got Mheadhoin done - maybe January 17th?

Sounds like a plan worthy of some serious consideration! 8)
Graeme D

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland