walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pen Y Ghent and Plover Hill from HIR

Pen Y Ghent and Plover Hill from HIR

Postby MunroMad » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:45 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Pen-y-ghent, Plover Hill

Date walked: 30/01/2010

Time taken: 7

Distance: 24 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was a walk done a while ago. Set off from HIR car park and had to meet a mate in Clapham for my lift home. A challenge indeed. I managed to walk along the track from the main road all the way up to the ridge in about an hour. The ridge was extremely icy and I regretted not bringing crampons, as did the people coming down! Made it to the summit by about 10. From the Summit, I proceeded down moorland to Plover Hill, there is really no cairn here or point establishing position, however, there is a bump near to where the 3 walls converge on the hill that I reckon is the true summit and thus proceeded there. It is such a broad hill though, anywhere within 50cm could have been the top.

The track to Plover is not really well marked, the path seems to be on the left hand side of the wall (the side facing Whernside) rather than the side facing Fountain's Fell. However, They all linked up at the top again.

From Plover Hill, I walked back up to the top of Pen Y Ghent for the 2nd time before running off the end down the crag, which is not a lot of fun when completely frozen over in ice and snow. I then walked to Dale Head where I contemplated my walk up Darnbrook and Fountain Fell, however, I had to be in Clapham at 5, so I head back up to the top before taking the long track back to Helwith Bridge. I then followed the road as far as far end before coming off the road and heading up to the woods, at wood end, lovely area and recommend it if starting from Austwick or Helwith, not taxing and views of Ingleborough become apparent nearer the Austwick side. When I reached Austwick I powered my way through the town stopping at a bench for a quick 5 mins by the river. I eventually arrived into Clapham at 5, and was in the pub until 8 waiting for my mate, who went caving in Gaping Gill and took a little longer than anticipated. Regardless, 15 miles later and 6 pints I was ready to go home!
Attachments
IMG_6200.JPG
Start of the walk
IMG_6204.JPG
Ingleborough and sheep!
IMG_6206.JPG
Sheep!!
IMG_6209.JPG
IMG_6216.JPG
Pen Y Ghent
IMG_6228.JPG
View toward the Northern Dales
IMG_6224.JPG
Ingleborough from Pen Y Ghent
IMG_6240.JPG
DarnBrook Fell and Fountains Fell from Plover Hill
IMG_6266.JPG
Pen Y Ghent from the Long track to Helwith Bridge
IMG_6272.JPG
Pen Y Ghent from Helwith Bridge
IMG_6276.JPG
Ingleborough from Wood End

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

MunroMad
Munro compleatist

Munros:7   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:35   

Re: Pen Y Ghent and Plover Hill from HIR

Postby mountain coward » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:38 am

That seems like quite some walk. I love that track which goes down to Helwith Bridge - quite like the food in the pub too! :D I was up Penyghent yesterday and you should see the snow on the summit now (I'll probably put out a report when I eventually send off my photos and scan them). The wall top is only showing the topstones - the rest is buried both sides! The signpost on the summit only has a couple of feet of it stuck out of the top of a drift. It's pretty well frozen too - great fun just now!
mountain coward

Re: Pen Y Ghent and Plover Hill from HIR

Postby mountain coward » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:58 am

I was up Penyghent again today - beautiful day but still plenty of ice and extremely frozen snow all the way down the western flank - but I took my spikes this time so I could descend it... One guy shot off down it to the front of me and another girl shot off down towards me from above... and that was in 5 minutes... would probably have been a worthwhile spot to sit and watch this afternoon! :lol: I think people don't think you're allowed to wear spikes in the Dales!
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland