walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hart Fell & co

Hart Fell & co

Postby rockhopper » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:26 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Hart Fell

Donalds included on this walk: Cape Law, Hart Fell, Swatte Fell, Under Saddle Yoke

Date walked: 15/12/2013

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 17.7 km

Ascent: 1130m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Corbett/Donald/New Donald: Hart Fell
Donalds/New Donalds: Under Saddle Yoke, Cape Law, Swatte Fell
New Donalds: Saddle Yoke, Din Law

Date: Sunday 15 December 2013
Time taken: 5hrs 35mins (including stops 45mins)
Distance: 17.7km approx
Ascent: 1,130m approx
Attendees: me

Around the Moffat area, although remaining windy, the forecast was for a dry morning with the rain not due to return until early afternoon. Main aim for this trip was the Hart Fell horseshoe. Weather and time permitting could firstly add on Cape Law/Din Law and secondly Whitehope Heights. Managed the former but decided against the latter due to the clag.

Parked in the wee parking space beside Blackshope cottage. Decided to go anti clockwise due to the possible additions to the route. Set off around 0800hrs, up the track past some cattle and on to the open hillside. Left the path a wee bit too early and had to follow the barbed wire fence back to another gate. Then up to the ridge which would take me to Saddle Yoke.

Looking into Black Hope

Up towards Saddle Yoke

Saddle Yoke cairn

Short walk to get up to Under Saddle Yoke. Strong wind so best not to get too close to the edge on this bit.

Sun trying to make an appearance

Up and along Under Saddle Yoke and decision time. The clag had cleared and I could see Cape law in the distance so decided to head for it.

Cape Law in the distance

Looking over Raven Craig towards White Coomb

A little marshy in places but plenty of fences to follow

Over Cape Law then a little drop with Din Law in the distance - Gameshope Loch off to the right

Fruid Reservoir from Din Law

From here headed initially south in a line towards Hartfell Rig to lose as little height as possible. Once over the stream, headed in more of a SW direction to get to the ridge west of Hartfell Rig.

North side of Hartfell Rig

Once up on the ridge the clag was back down with little visibility – fences again coming in very handy

Decided against the detour to Whitehope Heights (via Whitehope Knowe) – little point as I reckoned I wouldn’t see anything in the clag.

Arrived at the top of Hart Fell where the fences meet.

Waited a wee bit but no change in visibility so headed off SE then S towards Swatte Fell.

Had to take a wee detour along the fence to find the wee summit cairn

Then back to following the fence

Some steep drops to the east on the way back and a clearing view of Black Hope

Over to Saddle Yoke

The last section down by Hang Gill was steep and slippery in places. Got back to the car around 1330hrs and said hello to the guy in the cottage. Another car was parked behind me. Got changed and drove off – ten minutes later the heavy rain started so I’d managed to time it just right for once.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Hart Fell & co

Postby dooterbang » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 am

Timing is everything - nice to see you getting it right for a change!

Nice route, and some decent views too!

This is an area for those wild and short winter days.

Enjoyed your last triple corbett report, yet another good route for the shoprter days.

Cheers
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby PeteR » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:22 pm

Very enjoyable read. I'm a fan of the hills in this area. Was getting a battering on Coserine and the Rhinns of Kells the same day as you did this circuit (I was a late starter).

I did almost this same route as you (excluding Din Law) three weekends ago now. Never got round to posting a report though. Saw my first fog bow between Swatte Fell and Hart Fell :D I also discovered there's an electric fence after under saddle yolke (or before given the route you took). Got quite a shock when I grabbed it :lol: :shock:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:57 am

Nice photos. Did Hart Fell before i started bagging Donalds and never done the horseshoe due to the wind. Had considered this area on this day but opted to stay low with the winds that day. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby pigeon » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:59 pm

Nice one RH,weather has been crap recently so well done on getting out :wink:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby Collaciotach » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:23 pm

Queer names on these hills , must be a Southern thang :D

Nice one :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby weaselmaster » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:35 pm

Nice pics, RH
Tempted to head down this way at the weekend - seems to be the least bad weather :crazy:
Thought about going up hart fell then over to white coomb, rejoining the saddle yoke descent route
Did you notice if there was much in the way of suitable wild-camp areas near the start point?
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:196   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby rockhopper » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:21 pm

cheers all :D

PeteR wrote: I also discovered there's an electric fence after under saddle yoke (or before given the route you took). Got quite a shock when I grabbed it
yes - there was one on the way up saddle yoke and another on the other side but luckily they didn't seem to be on when I was going over them :)
DSCF3746 (Medium).JPG

weaselmaster wrote:Did you notice if there was much in the way of suitable wild-camp areas near the start point?
afraid I wasn't really looking but passed through some cattle at the start and at the end so you'd probably want to be further into the walk if you're looking at camping although that either means higher up or going more into Black Hope - there was quite a bit of flooding en route and there aren't many spaces to stop on the roadside but I think there were one or two forestry car parks
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby weaselmaster » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:36 pm

rockhopper wrote:
weaselmaster wrote:Did you notice if there was much in the way of suitable wild-camp areas near the start point?
afraid I wasn't really looking but passed through some cattle at the start and at the end so you'd probably want to be further into the walk if you're looking at camping although that either means higher up or going more into Black Hope - there was quite a bit of flooding en route and there aren't many spaces to stop on the roadside but I think there were one or two forestry car parks

Cheers - don't want to be trampled by coos during the night :(
Looks possible up by the parking area at the grey mare's tail from the map, might head there
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:196   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland