walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Froggat Edge

Froggat Edge

Postby PauloUK77 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:07 pm

Date walked: 02/10/2007

Time taken: 5

Distance: 15 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is one of my favourite walks in the Peak district,the main attraction being the gritstone escarpment of Froggat Edge but the rest of the walk has some interesting points too.
The starting point is the Fox House Inn on the A6187 heading into the Longshaw Estate,not long after Froggat Edge is reached and you follow this to a minor road leading into Curbar.
A right turn at the Mill takes you along the River Derwent for a couple of miles before reaching the B6521,follow this up the hill to Grindleford Station passing the Totley tunnel which was once Britains longest.
A punishing uphill through woods and next to the Burbage Brook brings you back to the attractive Longshaw Estate before finishing with a pint at the Fox House Inn.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Picture 200.jpg
Looking down towards Froggat and River Derwent from the Edge.

Picture 201.jpg
The Edge is popular with Rock Climbers

Picture 202.jpg
On Froggat Edge

Picture 204.jpg
Gritstone rock formations are great for a little scramble.

Picture 206.jpg

Picture 212.jpg
Froggat Edge from the Derwent valley

Picture 237.jpg
Our Route
Last edited by PauloUK77 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

Re: Froggat Edge

Postby mountain coward » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:34 pm

Looks just like Crookrise on our moor! I like scrambling on that type of rock - even in the wet it's grippy! :)

Have you walked through the tunnel at all? As kids we used to walk through our 110 yard tunnel - I sometimes still do... and once in Wales the whole family walked through a 1 mile tunnel - that was pretty scary!
mountain coward

Postby PauloUK77 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:43 pm

I wouldn' t dare the speed the trains come out of there lol.I have been through it several times on my way from Sheffield to Manchester and it takes what seems like forever at a great speed.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

Postby mountain coward » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:47 pm

Fair point - our trains are slow goods trains... probably take a long time to stop though as they're 26 wagons on limestone! :lol:
mountain coward

Postby midgebite » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:10 pm

mountain coward wrote:
Have you walked through the tunnel at all?

I would'nt recommend it, the tunnel is 6230yds long, around 3.5 miles and is on the main Sheffield to Manchester rail link.
midgebite
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland