walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

South Wales

South Wales

Postby wurzel » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:14 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Cribyn, Pen y Fan

Date walked: 02/03/2010

Time taken: 5

Distance: 15 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'll keep the text short with this first attempt at a walk report. I took this route earlier in the week when the conditions were perfect for photographs. It takes the popular route from the Storey Arms across the south side of Yr Gyrn, down into the little valley, then up to Corn Du and Pen Y Fan. The walk carries on to Cribyn then to Fan Y Big, continuing on another 400m or so south along the ridge. The return is NW down the side of Fan Y Big to the col before ascending again, slowly, along the south flanks of Cribyn to near the top of Pen Y Fan, along the south side of Corn Du, before returning to the Storey Arms layby. This gives over 1000m of ascent, which I was quite pleased with, although for the dedicated munro baggers here I realise that is just a light leg stretch. Since starting this hill walking I've been keen to find out exactly what my limits are so that I'm confident to tackle something more demanding in the summer. 15km with 1000m of ascent over reasonable ground seems ok for me, although my legs were aching a bit... well quite a lot, actually... at the end. The next one I've got planned is 22km with the same ascent -- it should be painful.
01.JPG
View back to the west from the base of Corn Du. Fan Fawr is top left.

02.JPG
The last part of the ascent to Corn Du. The top part of the path was frozen, and kahtoola microspikes made things easier.

03.JPG
Looking down to Llyn Cwm Llwch.

04.JPG
Pen Y Fan viewed from Corn Du.

05.JPG
Cribyn viewed from Pen Y Fan.

06.JPG
Fan Y Big (top right).

07.JPG
The Fan Y Big diving board.

08.JPG
Looking back from Fan Y Big to Cribyn, Pen Y Fan and Corn Du. Corn Du is classified as a Nutall.

09.JPG
Upper Neuadd Reservoir to the south viewed on my return along the side of Cribyn. An alternative horseshoe walk can be started from below the reservoir.
wurzel

Munros:5   
Hewitts:48

Re: South Wales

Postby johnnyaztec » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:33 am

looks like you had a nice day for it,i was in the area last week unfortunately it was quite blowy which took the shine off it a little.I did the walk from the Upper Neuadd last year that you mentioned in your report and its a great route well worth doing if your round that way again.
johnnyaztec
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   Donalds:5
Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:214   

Postby mountain coward » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:41 am

Nice first report and photos - I like those hills but have only been to them twice. Love the way the snow picks out the striations in both directions on the fronts!
mountain coward

Postby skuk007 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:14 pm

Good report and nice photos. I am hoping to get there myself this Monday.
A bit like yourself, I use these hills as training before setting off on any Munro trips.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby PauloUK77 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:25 pm

The diving board on Fan y Big looks scary,some great photos i now want to go there.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

Postby wurzel » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:59 pm

johnnyaztec wrote:... did the walk from the Upper Neuadd last year that you mentioned in your report and its a great route well worth doing if your round that way again.

I'll certainly try that some time.
skuk007 wrote:...bit like yourself, I use these hills as training before setting off on any Munro trips

I've walked most of the Nuttalls in South Wales now and I think this particular area (around Pen y Fan) is the one I'll keep coming back to if i want something reasonably close to home to keep in shape. The scenery is great, when you can see it. Have you done the Carmarthen Fan, the route with 5 Nuttalls from Glyntawe out to Garreg Las and back? Those are the only ones I've got left to do in South Wales and was wondering what the ground was like, as from the map it looks like it may be a bit boggy.
PauloUK77 wrote:...The diving board on Fan y Big looks scary...

I saw a photo somewhere of someone stood on it as if they were about to dive off... I haven't quite got that sort of head for heights. Having said that, I read the other night somewhere that there's only a short drop immediately below it. When I was there that didn't seem the case from where I was stood.
wurzel

Postby skuk007 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:56 am

wurzel wrote:Have you done the Carmarthen Fan, the route with 5 Nuttalls from Glyntawe out to Garreg Las and back?

I haven't done these I'm afraid. Done a few long low level walks around the Pembrokeshire coast. Very pretty there.

Pic of the diving board. Not too scary, although wife didn't like me standing there!
IMG_0290.jpg
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby john923 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:40 pm

Enjoyed your photos. We did the circuit from the Lower Neuadd reservoir September before last and the tops were really crowded. Looks like you had a quieter time and the better for it.
john923

Munros:16   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:187   Islands:5

Postby wurzel » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:53 pm

It gets very busy on weekends. Best to go midweek, if you can. Even then I still saw about 20 people, but they were mostly between Storey Arms and Pen Y Fan.
wurzel

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland