walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First of the Year Ben Tirran

First of the Year Ben Tirran

Postby Ian Bayne » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:52 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Tirran

Date walked: 04/01/2014

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 15.2 km

Ascent: 808m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Because of the weather reports The Pigeon says go east so Ben Tirnan was our target . With Charlie working Stevie busy and Kev suffering so it was just me the bold jake and the Pigeon.
Met at the Glen Clova car park and off for 0820hrs . From the hotel to the flatish stretch leading to Loch Brandy boy was that a killer 2 weeks of over indulgence was taking its toll. Well Mwis was up to its normal correct self NOT the loch and everything was shrouded in clag views nil.
Had our first break at the foot of the Snub thought we were going to take the easy route no such luck Pigeon is now doing the Tops ( kev and the rest of the gang take note) . The wind picked up on our slog up the Snub but it was suprisingly mild and dry got to the cairn then followed the the line of the craigs around to the 870 point on green hill . Clag yes views no . We were now in the snow with the clag white out conditions so we took a bearing and made our way over to the 857 point the onto the Goat staying to righthand side of stoney loch which was out there somewhere .
This was the hardest part deep snow in some areas iced over which made heavy going up to the Goet When we got to the trig point clag no views no point in hingin aboot made our way to the cairn where we put on the spikey foot wear . With the heavy built up snow we changed our route slightly and made our way off to the right dropping slightly and then heading south above the loch till we were out of the snow field .
Had a wee break off with the spikey things then it started snowing . If anyone said to me 3years ago that I would be on the side of a big hill on a big rock in the middle of the highlands in a snow storm saying |I was as happy as a pig in S**T . I would have said £?*&!"£$*&^% . Once we found the path it was easy going till we got to the stream at the head of the wood where the 6ft 4in pigeon just stepped over it and the rest of us normal short a****s would need to be olympic long jumpers so I wimped out went further up the stream found a ford then caught up with Dave down tothe road for the 2mile jaunt back to the cars and a well earned new year pint in the hotel GRAND.
Attachments
006.JPG
are we right in the head
009.JPG
into the clag
011.JPG
the snub
012.JPG
theres a loch down there
014.JPG
Into the unknown
018.JPG
watch the fence
015.JPG
green hill
020.JPG
and this is fun
021.JPG
the goet
023.JPG
The pigeon
026.JPG
a view
028.JPG
030.JPG
the path back
031.JPG
Ian Bayne
Mountain Walker

Munros:184   Corbetts:39
Fionas:13   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:12   

Re: First of the Year Ben Tirran

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:26 pm

Nice one ,good to see another dog out in the Winter :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Ian Bayne » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:59 pm

Collaciotach wrote:Nice one ,good to see another dog out in the Winter :D

Its hard to keep jake in hes done everything so far the highlands is nothing but a big playground to him
Ian Bayne
Mountain Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:15 pm

Nice one. That large cairn makes a great shelter, howling wind when i did this one, not much cope though when it's full of snow. :crazy:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Ian Bayne » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:52 am

Johnny Corbett wrote:Nice one. That large cairn makes a great shelter, howling wind when i did this one, not much cope though when it's full of snow. :crazy:

Thats why we never stayed long good walk though
Ian Bayne
Mountain Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:34 am

A fine walk in normal conditions, but that stuff! Not nice, at least you were out. Pity about the conditions, both overhead and underfoot, as you say hard going after a wee break! :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland