walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A quick one from the rear of Beinn na Lap (Moy Side)

A quick one from the rear of Beinn na Lap (Moy Side)

Postby scottishkennyg » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:30 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn na Lap

Date walked: 09/01/2014

Time taken: 6 hours

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The wet weather over the festive break drowned any plans for hitting the hills to compleate the final dozen. Must have been bad as the house was empty of any Christmas chocolates including the bare toffees in quality street. Still the DIY, or break it yourself, to do list was reduced. At last a window emerged, Thursday’s weather prediction suggested low rain so it was time to get outdoors.
I decided on a short outing and opted for Beinn na Lap in Glean Spean. I chose to climb from the back end rather than the more frequented front end at Courour. Clearly approaching from the front side is more direct and can easily be done between train times and is the favoured route of many.
After an 89 mile drive I set off at 0940 on the bike from the layby adjacent to the bridge at Luiblea. The road surface was fine and not too moist so it was good going. I had cycled in recently in December so knew it would take about an hour in. After passing the security camera the forest ends and the landscape opens to grand views of the surrounding hills.
Just beyond Strathossian House
Beinnalapp 156 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
I left the bike at the bank next to the wee bridge at 3987300.
Beinnalapp 151 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
Beinn na Lapp had a visible patchy covering of snow on the lower north ridge.
Beinnalapp 157 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
I decided to take full winter gear anyway and besides I was keen to try the home made anti balling devices on the crampons.
It was a fairly straightforward walk along the river side to reach the start of the ridge
Beinnalapp 027 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
then it was basically up over a series of broad ledges for 4km to the summit. Higher up the ridge the ground was covered in snow and ice providing good walking terrain.
Beinnalapp 042 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
Quick view back down to start of walk from 600m
Beinnalapp 043 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
View upwards and couple of wee holes in snow.
Beinnalapp 046 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

A view from a wee cairn up to next section.
Beinnalapp 054 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
The old calf muscles were rusty on the uphill sections.

The views around were grand
A look over toward the Grey Corries
Beinnalapp 058 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
A close up.
Beinnalapp 060 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
Views over to Meal Garbh and Chno Dearg..
Beinnalapp 071 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

Beinnalapp 123 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

Beinnalapp 124 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

some spindrift blowing off Meal garbh
Beinnalapp 144 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

and it was good to see the summits of the hills across loch Ossian. (Carn Dearg, Sgor Ghaibre, Sgor Choinnich)
Beinnalapp 080 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
Sgor Choinnich close up
Beinnalapp 082 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

I came across a wee section of snow and ice that was clearly splitting and looked like it was due to slide down the wee steep slope. So I put the crampons on and tried them out. Then when I took the snow goggles off the slope looked fairly benign and much closer must have been the yellow rose tinted glasses. After the wee slope it was a gentle rise up to the summit cairn at 1250.

Beinnalapp 129 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

Beinnalapp 120 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

Beinnalapp 086 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

Summit Cairn looking SW
Beinnalapp 089 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
As I sat there the eyes played tricks again and suggested that the other wee bump was higher than this top.
Beinnalapp 094 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
I checked the Etrex 10 gadget, which I am still trying to get accustomed to, and it said done. Of course I left the gear and wandered over to see for myself..the gadget showed it was lower by 7m and when I looked back through the powdery snow I could see that it was obvious from here.
It was cold and windy up on the summit plateau but not icy enough to freeze the Lucozade. The clouds were swirling making views of the surrounding hills intermittent, but very rewarding.
Over to Stob Coire Easian
Beinnalapp 105 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

Beinnalapp 114 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

Beinnalapp 141 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

The descent was fine with just a few tumbles and subsequent teenage mutant ninja turtle impersonations in the softer sections of snow. Thankfully there was no damage to man or kit.

Image looking back down ridge with sky forming a pair of evil looking eyes..

Beinnalapp 112 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

A view west toward Beinn Eibhinn and Ben Alder
Beinnalapp 146 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

The inward cycle was a lot easier than the previous visit (no falls!!). Well until I met a massive truck on the road and it was clear to all that I was struggling up the gradient and he had a layby before the bridge. Did he pullover and let me pass? Aye right….no way he trundled onto the bridge at the same time as me and of course I had no choice but to jump the bike into the side of the road..Cheers.
An image of the wee truck...
Beinnalapp 158 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

When I reached the woods the weather changed which generated a lot dirt spray and ensured that my gear got splattered with the grey stuff. Thankfully I did not fall off the bike this time and was able to reach the car safe and sound at 1530.
A nice final view from the bridge looking up Glean Spean:
Beinnalapp 186 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
Overall a great short day with winter coats on the hills to enhance the experience.
This longer route from Moy offers a pleasant alternative to the much frequented front side approach from Corrour.
Batteries restored for work on Monday.
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Re: A quick one from the rear of Beinn na Lap (Moy Side)

Postby Scotjamie » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:03 pm

Excellent report and pics skg
I did this on a through walk from Glen Nevis to Moy, and wished I had a bike for the last dozen kilometres.
Looks a great day out.
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby scottishkennyg » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:52 pm

Thanks Sj..I was lucky to catch some good weather and I know what you mean about the bike...
scottishkennyg

Postby Collaciotach » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:15 pm

gasta :clap: :clap: :clap:

Great Photos and aye a good alternate take on this one :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby malky_c » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:59 pm

Enjoyed that :) . Takes me back to an almost identical day in January 2005 when I did almost the same route. Only for some reason I cycled all the way down to the west end of Loch Ossian for the ascent. It was lovely down there, but in retrospect I only did it as the walk was shorter. I think your route was probably faster overall though :roll: .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby penelope1 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:57 am

Brilliant photos and looks like you had a great day out. I did this one from the south (Loch Rannoch) end early May last year and descended down the back end of the hill - there was still a wee bit of snow then - its a much more interesting side to the hill than the 'tourist' route up the front (west) side. Have wondered about the northern approach for a reprise - looks good.
penelope1

Munros:222   Corbetts:87
Fionas:6   Donalds:4

Postby scottishkennyg » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:40 pm

Collaciotach wrote:gasta :clap: :clap: :clap:

Great Photos and aye a good alternate take on this one :D

Moran Taing Collaciotach ..the bike certainly helps with this approach..
scottishkennyg

Postby scottishkennyg » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:42 pm

malky_c wrote:Enjoyed that :) . Takes me back to an almost identical day in January 2005 when I did almost the same route. Only for some reason I cycled all the way down to the west end of Loch Ossian for the ascent. It was lovely down there, but in retrospect I only did it as the walk was shorter. I think your route was probably faster overall though :roll: .

Cheers Malky...I was hoping to catch this one on the way back from loch Ossian on my last visit but limited daylight and a wee mishap with the bike and a pipe put paid to that...
scottishkennyg

Postby scottishkennyg » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:44 pm

penelope1 wrote:Brilliant photos and looks like you had a great day out. I did this one from the south (Loch Rannoch) end early May last year and descended down the back end of the hill - there was still a wee bit of snow then - its a much more interesting side to the hill than the 'tourist' route up the front (west) side. Have wondered about the northern approach for a reprise - looks good.

Thanks Penny
scottishkennyg

Postby BIG BAD VIC » Sat May 06, 2017 4:18 pm

GREAT ROAD FOR A CYCLE IN, FOLLOWED BY A STRAIGHT FORWARD CLIMB UP THE MUNRO. AN EASY DAY OUT AND NO TRAIN DEADLINES TO STICK TO.
MANY THANKS
BIG BAD VIC
Mountaineer

Munros:113   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland