walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Heasgarnich, Glen Lochay - One to remember :)

Beinn Heasgarnich, Glen Lochay - One to remember :)

Postby Bod » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:11 am

Route description: Creag Mhòr and Beinn Heasgarnich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Heasgarnich

Date walked: 11/01/2014

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 19.1 km

Ascent: 905m

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On arriving at the carpark in Glen Lochay in morning before 9.00am, thoughts were that today may not be the day for this mountain as conditions were threatening and keeping you thinking on your feet. Beinn Heasgarnich has it friends and those who don't feel obliged to return. As you can see though we were in for a special treat. We stuck carefully with the plan, clear in our heads with the safe retreat option and savoured a very special mountain day :) :) :)

DSCN5784.JPG
The landrover track approach above the valley floor running below Creagan Fhearchair with an exciting view through towards Ben Challum. Most welcoming considering the threatening air in glen on our arrival.
DSCN5793.JPG
After a thumbs up from the farmer in his landrover passing us on our bikes with Ritchie on a lead, we soon left the bikes above Badour on the Allt Bad Odhar and were heading northwestwards up the slopes.
DSCN5801.JPG
Stunning lines of grass and snow.
DSCN5808.JPG
Ritchie tethered to a prominent boulder that was targeted on our route upwards.....weather still surprisingly fair :)
DSCN5823.JPG
On the snowline now at about 700 metres up the morning takes a turn, but Valerie assures me that the forecast was for wintery shows improving in the afternoon......so taking this opportunity to shelter behind some stones we have some lunch and wait a short while.
DSCN5827a.jpg
And look at this, things are brightening up! :)
20140111_124516.jpg
Less than 1/2 hour ago, thoughts of going home were being considered? Look at it now and a nice hard crispy surface too, making progress much easier :)
DSCN5839.JPG
Onwards we go keepings a careful watch on our bearing and looking backwards regularly in order to recognise distinguishing features for referencing on the way back down :)
DSCN5844.JPG
The summit ridge area of Beinn Heasgarnich reached and what a satisfying place to be. Though on a day like this being a wintery January day not a place to linger too long, stunning and all engrossing. Looking southwestwards here over the Stob an Fhir-Bhogha area :)
DSCN5845.JPG
Valerie striding out into the winds and the chill, but we are definitely reaching the summit today afterall. We were absolutely willing to return at any point if needs be, and we had considered it more than once, but by good sense and careful judgement was paying off :)
DSCN5849.JPG
The carefully crafted and moulded cairn of Beinn Heasgarnich appears in the spindrift, and a welcoming sight it sure was, as we were now ready and looking forward to retracing our steps and enjoying the snow fields we had just climbed over in the last hour and half or so ....
DSCN5849a.jpg
Ritchie-boy and I resting for a few moments whilst enjoying the munro climate once again :)
DSCN5855.JPG
Heading back now 500 metres or so to the point where we accessed the ridge line.
DSCN5861.JPG
What a wonderful land we live in! Giving it huge respect and care though :)
DSCN5865.JPG
About to turn left now retracing our still partially visable steps. Very aware though that any white-out condition would have these prints unrecognisable...
DSCN5871.JPG
Looking eastwards over the Lawers range :)
DSCN5875.JPG
Guess you call this a selfie? And according to GLW I have been photo-bombed....LOL
DSCN5888.JPG
Frosty boulders :)
DSCN5891.JPG
Looking eastwards on the descent .....lovely :)
DSCN5903b.jpg
Looking westwards into rare winter airs :)
DSCN5903d.jpg
Ben Challum proudly standing there, ever present in the upper Glen Lochay realms :)
DSCN5911.JPG
Across the way to Sgiath Chuil and Meall Glas :)
DSCN5915.JPG
Our final drop back down into the glen, back down the safe route up that we had so carefully monitored all the way. Glad we brought our bikes today, it was going to be fun cruising back down the track for 6.1km adding yet another dimension to this rewarding mountain day :)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It took a wee bit of planning and consideration did old Beinn Heasgarnich, more than usual for me. Due in main to the mixed stories I have been told, the warnings of awkward bog zones, the effort required to cover the distances and terrain when including its neighbour. I went for the single munro wishing to focus on the enjoyment of the hill spending time on mainly south facing slopes on a short January day, and the inclusion of our bikes enabled an opportunity to be safe back in the carpark with time to relax, visit the pub in Killin and be back home to enjoy a Saturday evening by the fireside :D :D :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Re: Beinn Heasgarnich, Glen Lochay - One to remember :)

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:55 am

I see a lot of homework has been done prior to heading off on the hill. Great day, great photographs and WOW if only all winter days were like that! Fantastic how much ground you can cover when the snow is like that! :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby pigeon » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:50 pm

There's not a lot of love for Heasgarnich Bod but we had a similar day to you and Valerie a couple of years back and really enjoyed it,guess you've just got to pick the right day.You deserved a dram or 2 after that :wink:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:132
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby L-Hiking » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:39 pm

Wonderful pictures and report. An ingenious way to make a tramp over bog and peat hags enjoyable.
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:39 pm

Grand report and fab pictures :clap: :clap:

Did you no fancy Creag Mhor as well ? :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:220
Fionas:49   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:57 pm

Looks like a cracking day out Bod,just reward for the careful planning & perseverance. :D
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:43   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:28

Postby lomondwalkers » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:00 pm

Nice one Bod 8) Thinking of doing the 2 Munros as singles this Winter, so this has definitely encouraged me. A similar day to your would be fab.

Cheers
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:38 pm

Brilliant TR & pictures Bod.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby jonny616 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:02 pm

Stunning. we'll done to you both and the boy Richie for keeping you right. One to remember, very apt I feel. In spite of history I do like the area and enjoyed the two on the other side as winter singles in similar conditions. :D :clap: :clap:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby malky_c » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:24 pm

Classic day out :) . Looks like perfect snow up there.

Can't believe it's 10 years since I went up this and Creag Mhor. Similar snow but very little of the sunshine and views that you had.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:12 am

Great stuff Bod, Val and Ritchie- your photos, bombed or otherwise, are fantastic. :clap: :clap:

I loved this magnificent hill and Creag Mhor, we had a cracking day.

Its just those drama queens who give these hills a bad name!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:09 pm

Aww the days when the mountain god is on your site! Feel the need to get out soon again. I guess I really need to look into ways to take my bicycle with me...only downfall of having a small car!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby mrssanta » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:20 pm

Lovely Bod. this hill scares me a bit as I have read some rather too exciting stories about it. but one day we'll be up there!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby scottishkennyg » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:38 pm

Good images Bod to capture walk and share with readers..well done
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby Bod » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:58 pm

The Rodmiester - It sure is great when you don't sink through the crust, especially for me being a big guy. I am used to lugging a fair old trudge when the snowfall and drifts are deep :wink: :D :D
pigeon - we enjoyed BH very much as well, and a small refreshment certainly was had :wink: :D :D
L-hiking - this route and conditions did not let down on the day with a lovely approach too (one or two gates to negotiate, but most with walkers' gate too) :wink: :D :D
Collaciotach - Creag Mhor awaits another exhilerating winters day perhaps? :wink: :D :D
Morecambe Monkey - patience is a virtue and we were rewarded, Cheers Pat :wink: :D :D
lomondwalkers - I hope you are graced with a similar day :wink: :D :D
gammy leg walker - Cheers gammy :wink: :D :lol:
jonny616 - Sgiath Chuil and Meall Glas would have been great in these conditions too, cheers Jonny :wink: :D :D
malky_c - many thanks, and here's to you receiving the views on your next visit to BH :wink: :D :D
polly33 - Cheers polly, sure was a cracker :wink: :wink: :D
mountainlove - I hope you do get out again soon, and goodluck getting a suitable bike rack, rails or carrier for your car :wink: :D :lol:
mrs santa - Here's to you enjoying as fine a day too :wink: :wink: :D
scottishkennyg - thanks very much, it was a great day on Beinn Heasgarnich :wink: :D :D

Most appreciated all of your comments, it's magic isn't it to share our adventures :D :D :D :clap: :clap:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland