walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Auchnafree Hill, snow dissapearing fast!

Auchnafree Hill, snow dissapearing fast!

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:41 pm

Route description: Auchnafree Hill from Loch Turret

Corbetts included on this walk: Auchnafree Hill

Date walked: 11/01/2014

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 11.1 km

Ascent: 661m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had been looking forward to my first real hillwalk of the year for a while now, and did not really know what to expect with regards weather and underfoot conditions, so with rucksack packed with all supplies ready for any winter conditions, ice axe, crampons, goggles, balaclava etc set off towards Glen Turret just North West of Crieff. Parked up at the dam carpark and was on my way just after 1130hrs. The weather overhead looked promising although there was a biting cold wind.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
Heading for the track on the East side of Loch Turret, underfoot conditions fine and not a lot of ice about. This was made for a reasonably fast walk in
2.JPG
The trck seemed to be undulating quite a bit so I decided to head on up in the direction of Ton Eich and gain some height in the process, quite steep in parts but soon flattened out higher up
3.JPG
Higher up there were fine views over the loch and also Ben Chonzie on the opposite side, which had a good covering of snow on it's summit
4.JPG
After raching the top I headed NE towards the trck shon on the OS map, and after crossing sections covered in snow which presented no prioblem and no need to use the ice axe I carried on and crossed two streams
5.JPG
The remains of an old bridge support at grid ref 813301
6.JPG
I carried on up the SE shoulder of Auchnafree Hill where there were small sections of snow coverings able to take your weight without much problem. When you arrive on the summit you can clearly see both cairns on the skyline
7.JPG
View from large cain towards the summit cairn (small cairn)
8.JPG
Looking South towards Choinneachain Hill from the large cairn
9.JPG
Ben Chonzie from the large cairn
10.JPG
Ben Chonzie from the small summit cairn
11.JPG
Summit to large cairn
12.JPG
On the back looking over Loch Turret
13.JPG
Further down I noticed this spring as I was heading towards grid ref 808295 and the track junction. A fine but bracing day on this Corbett the first of 2014. From this point in the track it took me just over thirty minutes to get to the carpark
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Auchnafree Hill, snow dissapearing fast!

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:16 pm

Great day for a walk Rod - always enjoy the track along Loch Turret and Auchnafree Hill is a good start to 2014.

Last time I was up the Knock was in the Knock Hill race in about 1979!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!j
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:25 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Great day for a walk Rod - always enjoy the track along Loch Turret and Auchnafree Hill is a good start to 2014.

Last time I was up the Knock was in the Knock Hill race in about 1979!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!j

It was Gordie, great day for the hills, glad I got out, although started off from the house late, it was well worthwhile.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:07 pm

Looks like a lovely walk :D I haven't been to this corner of Scotland yet, but maybe this year I will stretch my paws further south :lol:

We climbed Morven (the Ballater one) on the very same day and were almost blown off our feet by the icy gusts of wind. We reached the summit cairn bent in two :lol: The sky was so blue it hurt my eyes. Hard to believe it could be so sunny and so cold at the same time!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby pigeon » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:47 pm

A good hill Rodmeister,was on it not so long ago,started teeming down when i was on the summit though and i got a right soaking :lol: I shall return though,quite like the look of Auchnafree and Chonzie from this side :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:18 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Looks like a lovely walk :D I haven't been to this corner of Scotland yet, but maybe this year I will stretch my paws further south :lol:

We climbed Morven (the Ballater one) on the very same day and were almost blown off our feet by the icy gusts of wind. We reached the summit cairn bent in two :lol: The sky was so blue it hurt my eyes. Hard to believe it could be so sunny and so cold at the same time!

It was a very cold wind! if you have not done Ben Chonzie do as pigeon suggests do both hills together. That's something I might do in the future as I have never approached Chonzie from this side, looks interesting :D I'm coming up to your neck of the woods this weekend to visit my daughter she lives in Lentran, don't know if I'll manage any hills though, hope so! :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:23 pm

pigeon wrote:A good hill Rodmeister,was on it not so long ago,started teeming down when i was on the summit though and i got a right soaking :lol: I shall return though,quite like the look of Auchnafree and Chonzie from this side :thumbup:

Pity about your soaking, that would be a fine high level circular walk including Chonzie and Choinneachain Hill. I have always climbed Chonzie from the West, maybe it's time to do it from the Glen Turret side :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby jmarkb » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:00 am

The Rodmiester wrote: that would be a fine high level circular walk including Chonzie and Choinneachain Hill. I have always climbed Chonzie from the West, maybe it's time to do it from the Glen Turret side

I can definitely recommend that circuit. Couple of route notes: the descent from the col between Chonzie and Biorach a' Mheannain is straightforward despite the crags shown on the 1:50k map. Alternatively, you can climb Biorach a' Mheannain and skirt the crags to the east. From the Moine Bheag to Auchnafree Hill is rough going, but there are the remains of an old fence to follow. The plateau between Auchnafree Hill and Choinneachain Hill is a nightmare of heather and peat hags: it's better to drop down to the track on the west side of the hill and follow this over Ton Eich until you can strike off up to the summit of Choinneachain Hill.

Corbett baggers should probably visit Choinneachain Hill as an insurance policy against possible resurvey: the 2m height difference is well within the sort of errors that have been discovered of late!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:59 pm

jmarkb wrote:
The Rodmiester wrote: that would be a fine high level circular walk including Chonzie and Choinneachain Hill. I have always climbed Chonzie from the West, maybe it's time to do it from the Glen Turret side

I can definitely recommend that circuit. Couple of route notes: the descent from the col between Chonzie and Biorach a' Mheannain is straightforward despite the crags shown on the 1:50k map. Alternatively, you can climb Biorach a' Mheannain and skirt the crags to the east. From the Moine Bheag to Auchnafree Hill is rough going, but there are the remains of an old fence to follow. The plateau between Auchnafree Hill and Choinneachain Hill is a nightmare of heather and peat hags: it's better to drop down to the track on the west side of the hill and follow this over Ton Eich until you can strike off up to the summit of Choinneachain Hill.

Corbett baggers should probably visit Choinneachain Hill as an insurance policy against possible resurvey: the 2m height difference is well within the sort of errors that have been discovered of late!

Thanks for all that info jmarkb , at one point I had thought about going back towards Choinneachain Hill, but decided against because of the cold wind. I must go back for the complete circuit on a dry summer day :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:59 pm

jmarkb wrote:

Thanks for all that info jmarkb , at one point I had thought about going back towards Choinneachain Hill, but decided against because of the cold wind. I must go back for the complete circuit on a dry summer day :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Sarah86 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:57 am

Loch Turret is fast becoming a favourite of mine for a pleasant afternoons walks although have never reached the top of any of the hills at either side. We did attempt Auchnafree hill at the end of last year but never made it to the top, looking at your photos we turned up much further along the path past the end of the loch to a steep section of path. After a break from the hills I was struggling a bit and after a couple told us we still had about 45 minutes to go we decided to turn back (really wish we hadn't! but on top of me feeling unfit my sister had to get back).

Looks like you get some lovely views from there and you had a great day for it.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:17 pm

Sarah86 wrote:Loch Turret is fast becoming a favourite of mine for a pleasant afternoons walks although have never reached the top of any of the hills at either side. We did attempt Auchnafree hill at the end of last year but never made it to the top, looking at your photos we turned up much further along the path past the end of the loch to a steep section of path. After a break from the hills I was struggling a bit and after a couple told us we still had about 45 minutes to go we decided to turn back (really wish we hadn't! but on top of me feeling unfit my sister had to get back).

Looks like you get some lovely views from there and you had a great day for it.

Hi there Sarah86, as you know it's a lovely walk along the loch side, and even though I struck up long before the track you went up as I thought the loch side track was becoming quite undulating, it's probably better staying on the track you went up and heading off towards the summit on the South shoulder of Achnafree Hill as there is quite a drop from Tom Eich and about half a K walk towards the head of the burn before returning back on the track you were on. Hope next time your up there you make it, nice views all around and when I was there the walking on the summit was fine, maybe because it was frosty though.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:41 pm

This is a stonking winter hill Rod! Nice one. I'm hoping to break my duck for 2014 on Saturday. Very slow off the mark this year! :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:39 am

Graeme D wrote:This is a stonking winter hill Rod! Nice one. I'm hoping to break my duck for 2014 on Saturday. Very slow off the mark this year! :shock:

Hi Graeme and a Happy New Year, I thought you had been a bit quiet, good luck for the weather on Saturday! I really enjoyed the day and hope to do the BH and Auchnafree Hill circuit sometime, pick a good day and that would be a great high level walk I feel. :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland