walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

West Highland Way

West Highland Way

Postby MichaelJennings » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:04 am

Route description: West Highland Way

Date walked: 26/05/2013

Time taken: 170 days

Distance: 150 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We're just back from a wonderful walk from Milngavie to Fort William. Since there are so many reports here on the walk, I'll limit myself to a few comments.

Backpacking vs. luggage service: My wife and I are in our early sixties, and were surprised to see that the only other backpackers were much younger...ok, much, much younger. I would urge anyone in moderately good condition to carry camping gear. The main benefit--aside from the obvious benefits of living in the nature through which you walk--is the flexibility you gain. We mixed inns and camping, and were able to construct an itinerary with more or less equal distances every day.

Gear: 1) We carried a very light 2-wall tent rather than a tarp and mesh bivy sacks out of respect for Scottish weather. But it was a bit of overkill: the tarp would have been fine. 2) We ate most of our meals in inns and pubs. So I wouldn't bring a stove the next time: on the few occasions when our wild camp wasn't within walking distance of a pub, we ate a cold meal and were very happy. 3) I was also very glad to carry a featherweight wind shirt: I walked the whole path in a lightweight merino crew and my wind shirt.

Inns and food: Don't miss the King's House, even if you have to replan your trip because they're full on the dates you want. It was by far the simplest room, but the atmosphere--and, surprisingly, the food--can't be beat. Friendly, warm, just what you'd expect from a place run for walkers and climbers. Bridge of Orchy Hotel is a close second--but it borders on the luxurious and, while that is a nice relief after a week's walk, it is a bit discordant! We were also pleased with the Winnock Hotel in Drymen: the public spaces and our room were charming (although the food in the restaurant tries to be a bit fancier than the kitchen can pull off). If you're carrying a tent, you should sleep in the gorgeous wild camp site about 1/2 mile past the Inversnaid Hotel. Alone among the inns we stayed in, they cater more to tour buses than to walkers--with food to match. Of the pubs and cafes where we had lunch, two stand out: the Real Food Cafe in Tyndrum, which actually has real food. And don't miss the Ben Nevis Inn at the end of the walk. This is surely one of the great pubs in the UK, with splendid views of the Glen Nevis countryside and really outstanding food. Kudos!
MichaelJennings
Scrambler

Re: West Highland Way

Postby raykilhams » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:43 pm

hi Michael,
Did the WHW a couple of years ago plus C2C ,more recently Hadrians Wall, Great glen Way plus LDWs abroad , Always carry our own gear ( also in my early 60's) you are so right it does allow flexibility plus keeps me fit
raykilhams
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:9   

Postby cecilsson » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:28 am

I will be joining the 60's demographic this May as I hike the West Highland Way followed by the Great Glen Way. I will be walking solo and will be camping, also hoping to eat all my meals in pubs and cafés. This will be an epic adventure for me and I look forward to seeing incredible country, climbing as many Munros as my time and fitness allow, conversing with friendly Scots, meeting my dietary requirements in wonderful pubs, sleeping high and dry in my hammock tent, and finishing what I set out to accomplish. Perhaps we will meet along the Ways.
Happy walking.
cecilsson
Mountaineer

Postby Dan Scheer » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:03 pm

Couldn't agree more on the 'carry your own gear' attitude. Aside from the actual flexibility it gives you, I just like that feeling of complete freedom and self-reliance, knowing I got everything I need to survive on my back.

Great effort :)
Dan Scheer
Mountaineer

Munros:36   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Islands:25

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes