walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

mair clag on Gulabin

mair clag on Gulabin

Postby Ian Bayne » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:59 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Gulabin

Date walked: 18/01/2014

Time taken: 2.75 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 453m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Just me and jake . Weather report looked cr*p so it was going to be a nice short walk. The rest of gang done Gulabin last week when I was at schooling so Gulabin it is.
As per WH route gotto the layby at 0730 and off by 0800 no problems anice track to follow up the glen and by my usual dawdling got to the path pretty smartish . Snow on the ground but you can still see signs of the track follow this line till it started levelling out well into the clag now but still dry it was going to be like this for the rest of the walk . Picked up a path and just followed it into the gloom ( checking the compass ) . A chilly breeze picked up so ther will be no point in hanging about . Got to the cairn at 0905 hrs a quick photie then off . Then a pigeon idea popped up Tops looked at the map another bearing then off . Ground good to walk on over the 764 and 781 points where there was a small cairn then down to the 765 cairn where there is a couple of wind shelters full of snow nae views no point head back .
Was going to head straight down but it looked a wee bit steep so skirted around the hill dropping slightly a wee burn crossing onto the path ,main track then down to the start stopping for a brew and snowballs for the dog got back to the car at 1045 a nice wee walk pity about the views. Thought about Mount Blair but when I got to the B951 junction rain on the wind screen the cloud was still down I was dry nah head home and beer.
Attachments
002.JPG
005.JPG
The track into the murk
009.JPG
Well I want snow balls
010.JPG
011.JPG
014.JPG
015.JPG
806 Ben Gulabin cairn
017.JPG
great views
018.JPG
024.JPG
023.JPG
021.JPG
jake at the 765 cairn
026.JPG
032.JPG
034.JPG
040.JPG
042.JPG
045.JPG
Ian Bayne
Mountain Walker

Munros:184   Corbetts:39
Fionas:13   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:12   

Re: mair clag on Gulabin

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:42 am

That looked a bit miserable Ian.

Didn't recognise the name of this hill so had a look to see if it was one I wanted to do and it turns out I climbed it last year :? I remember coming off the top back down to the col and then following the track that heads on up the glen towards The Cairnwell so I just followed it for a couple of miles and got some really good views.

At least you were out at the right time of day yesterday, I started at 6.30 at Dunkeld and finished for 11 which seemed like good timing as the rain just started as I was finishing.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Ian Bayne » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:23 pm

Gordie12 wrote:That looked a bit miserable Ian.

Didn't recognise the name of this hill so had a look to see if it was one I wanted to do and it turns out I climbed it last year :? I remember coming off the top back down to the col and then following the track that heads on up the glen towards The Cairnwell so I just followed it for a couple of miles and got some really good views.

At least you were out at the right time of day yesterday, I started at 6.30 at Dunkeld and finished for 11 which seemed like good timing as the rain just started as I was finishing.

It was a good idea to get out early for the past 4 times now its been clag so nothing new
Ian Bayne
Mountain Walker

Postby pigeon » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:56 pm

Pity about weather Ian,Mount Blair can be kept up our sleeves though :wink:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby Ian Bayne » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:15 pm

pigeon wrote:Pity about weather Ian,Mount Blair can be kept up our sleeves though :wink:

Getting used to the weather we would need to team it up with another hill in Glen Isla
Ian Bayne
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland