walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Ghaordaidh and The Tarmachan Ridge

Meall Ghaordaidh and The Tarmachan Ridge

Postby davetherave » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:33 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Ghaordaidh, Meall nan Tarmachan

Date walked: 06/03/2010

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 1800m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date. Saturday 6th March 2010
Completed by. Dave, Julie and Wilson
Weather. Snow at 500m, poor morning, clear in afternoon
Distance. 9.7 km / 14,6 km … Total 24,3 km
Time. 4 hrs / 6.5 hrs … Total 10.5 hrs

Meall Ghaordaidh
And
Tarmachan ridge

Starting from

Glen Lochay
And
Lawer’s visitor Ctr

Meall Ghaordaidh

meall ghaordiadh.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Decided on a big day for our first trip in recent weeks. Weather forecast was looking promising so we decided on Meall Ghaordaidh up Glen Lochay (most people recommend this for a winter outing) and later in the day planned on doing the Tarmachan ridge ….. again.

Alarm set for 4am we were left Brechin by 4.45 a bit of a record for us, and by 7am on the dot we were making our first steps up Meall Ghaordaidh. All indications were good weather wise and the sun was making a on off appearance every now and then, but by the time we reached 700m/ 750m the mist had came in very thick and unfortunately views were non existent.
From summit of Meall Ghaordidhe (1).JPG

From summit of Meall Ghaordidhe.JPG

Looking up Glen Lochay (1).JPG

From 750m to the summit visibility was really poor ended up walking on the compass N W until the summit was reached. Spent all of a couple mins up there before heading down the way we had come managing a few bum slides on the way down.

One reaching about 850m mark the sun was out and the temp was up, looked like all those lucky people heading up would be getting the best of the weather. Still my fingers and toes were X that our luck would change on the Tarmachan ridge.
Ben More and Stob Binnein (1).JPG

wilson.JPG

Tarmachan ridge

the ridge.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Finished our lunch at Glen Lochay and its time to head for the Lawers Visitor centre. Still loads of snow on this road, there was no way we were getting the car near the start point just south of the loch, we ended up having to park about ½ km south of the centre.

Ben More from Tarmachan track.JPG

Auld quarry building.JPG

Creag na Caillich.JPG

Anyway soon we are ready and bang on noon we are on our way Again I decide to head right along the track towards the old quarry and climb through the breaks in the crags to reach Beinn nan Eachan our first top of the ridge.

The track was holding plenty drifted snow that was very wet making for a slightly tough walk, once we reached about 850m we decided on using the crampons. Met 2 groups as they were descending Beinn nan Eachan they claimed they had a fantastic time on the ridge with beautiful views.

from ridge.JPG

from ridge (2).JPG

from ridge (3).JPG

from ridge (4).JPG

We descend Beinn nan Eachan as best we can with more lessons in sledging. Now we are heading for Meall Garbhs N W side and make our way back to the ridge. Plenty care was needed here especially the narrow area near the summit, then it was a case of climbing the frosty knoll to its peak.

Meall Garbh (1).JPG

Meall Garbh (2).JPG

Just a word on the N W face of Meall Garbh this was pretty tough snow/ice all the way to the ridge so we really did have to kick the spikes in . I really think I will have to sharpen the spikes on my old salewa’s………

The climb to Meall Nan Tarmachan seemed a little easier thankfully. I was pretty much pooped by this time, but the wife she had seemed to find her second wind and was putting me to shame. Arrrrr

Got a few pics then had to get going as time was getting on, we soon left the summit and instead of heading for the 923 spot height we descend mainly by our bums yet again between Gam Chreag and the 923 spot and carried on south below the ridge before heading east to meet up with the track.
Meall garbh heading out (1).JPG

Meall garbh heading out (1).JPG

Due to the snow, and not reaching the preferred start position this route was about 3km longer than we hoped………………. Fantastic day though.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: Meall Ghaordaidh and The Tarmachan Ridge

Postby davidmhodgey » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:44 pm

Nice photos! That's a very long day, yous must hae afa sare leggies the day!
davidmhodgey

Munros:83   Corbetts:3

Postby davetherave » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:50 pm

David,
Thanks for the comments on the pics. Its only an old sony mobile phone i use....... Hopefully treat my self when funds become available. :)

As for the legs, well i dont know if they are sore or not...... have not felt them since i woke up in the morning. :lol:
davetherave

Postby monty » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:24 pm

Well done Dave, wife and wee doggie. You certainly like to test yourself :D Looks like you had some nice weather in the end. Lovely pictures :D
monty

Postby malky_c » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:29 pm

Quite some effort that. I have planned this sort of double walk thing a few times, but once I am back at the car, I can never be bothered doing the second walk!

Good photos, particuarly from the Tarmachan ridge. The ultimate challenge would have been to do Beinn nan Oighreag and join the two walks together, although I can't work out if that would have made the day longer or shorter.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby davetherave » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:57 am

monty wrote:Well done Dave, wife and wee doggie. You certainly like to test yourself Looks like you had some nice weather in the end. Lovely pictures

Thanks Monty
Had a word with you recently about your route up Meall Ggaordiadh. Time was spot on we also completed it in 4 hrs. Glad we managed the ridge as the weather was much better in the afternoon. :D

malky_c wrote:Quite some effort that. I have planned this sort of double walk thing a few times, but once I am back at the car, I can never be bothered doing the second walk!

Good photos, particuarly from the Tarmachan ridge. The ultimate challenge would have been to do Beinn nan Oighreag and join the two walks together, although I can't work out if that would have made the day longer or shorter.

Malky,
We very nearly changed our plan as we neared the summit of Meall Ghaordiadh, i thought it would be a good idea just to carry on and catch the corbett Beinn nan Oighreag as the weather was not great at that time of day.
The wife thought about getting a B&B and then doing the ridge on the Sunday Morning, that sounded like a good idea, but with the dog trying to find a room may have been a problem at short notice.
so glad we stuck to the plan though as the ridge was by far the highlight of our short walking career. :lol:
davetherave

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland