walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pap Of Glencoe

Pap Of Glencoe

Postby yokehead » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Route description: The Pap of Glencoe

Fionas included on this walk: Pap of Glencoe

Date walked: 02/02/2010

Distance: 4.7 km

Ascent: 675m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

g38.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Yesterday I had a day in Ardgour, intending to climb Garbh Bheinn. It snowed all day though, this and low cloud meant the summit was out but I did make it up the glen to the bealach and frozen lochan. A difficult walk over rough terrain in the conditions so I was looking for just a half day today and decided on the striking-looking Pap of Glencoe.

Great weather today with fresh snow on the tops in this view from Ballachulish.
Picture 001 (Medium).jpg
the Pap, left, and Sgorr nam Fiannaidh from Ballachulish

I parked in the lane from Glencoe Village and headed along the path that leads between the Pap and Sgorr nam Fiannaidh.
Picture 003 (Medium).jpg
at the start of the walk

The climb is quite steep but it was no hardship stopping for a breather now and again; the light quality gave excellent views of the surrounding mountains and out across the lochs to the west.
Picture 009 (Medium).jpg
Bidean

Picture 010 (Medium).jpg
Beinn a' Bheithir, ENE ridge facing

As you ascend, the Pap looks more of a lump compared to how it appears from sea level.
Picture 014 (Medium).jpg
the Pap from short range

At the bealach more great views open out across Loch Leven to the eastern Mamores. From here I decided to go straight up to the summit, the shortest route. Just before I started off I met a chap who’d just come down that way, he told me he’d slid down on his bum, hmmm! The slope is rock and turf covered, this gave a mild scramble in places over the slippery new snow. The summit is a marvellous viewpoint, superb and inspiring in all directions.
Picture 020 (Medium).jpg
Garbh Bheinn & Loch Leven

Picture 024 (Medium).jpg
Beinn a' Bheithir & Ardgour

Picture 025 (Medium).jpg
to the SSW

For the descent I decided on going straight down to the startpoint. This gives more distance of rocky terrain to cover than in the ascent and involved a bit of route-finding enjoyment. I found a few interesting sections with rock ledges and down climbs to spice things up.
Picture 031 (Medium).jpg
ledges fun

Once below the rocks I stayed near to or in a stream gully that gave a great way down although steep in places, it would be a slog in ascent. The surrounding mountains took on a new appearance in the dusk.
Picture 032 (Medium).jpg
great clouds

Picture 040 (Medium).jpg
sunset, Glencoe village & Loch Linnhe

On the way back to base I shopped in Ballachulish then photographed the forbidding-looking face between the N and ENE ridges of Sgorr Bhan on the Ballachulish Horseshoe – more of this later.
Picture 045 (Medium).jpg
the Alps?
Last edited by yokehead on Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Re: Pap Of Glencoe

Postby bazer100 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:21 pm

stunning stunning views, love up that way, infact feels so long since i climbed stob derg in november, id move up there in a heartbeat. lovely pictures and surroundings, next weekend im thinking of doing the lost valley, looks worth the trip round to the village and doing the pap aswell.. whats the road conditions like on the a82 if you were on it?

baz
bazer100
Munro compleatist

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland