walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Braemar Graham, with fantastic views!

Braemar Graham, with fantastic views!

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:18 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Creag Bhalg

Date walked: 20/01/2014

Time taken: 1.33 hours

Distance: 5.5 km

Ascent: 301m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was on my way back home from a weekend in Inverness which had been in all honesty pretty poor walking weather. I had intended to do the Corbett Brown Cow Hill but when passing the Lecht the cloud level was at road level and with snow blowing through had decided to give it a swerve and headed on down to Braemar and have a coffee and bacon roll, with it being Monday many of the cafe's were closed so hopped in to the Fife Arms where a log fire was burning, had my refreshments and as I looked out of the window noticed a small patch of blue sky, so decided to give Creag Bhaig a wee Corbett at the back of Mar Lodge a go. Started at the roadside at 1140hrs

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
Roadside parking, very limited, but I knew I would not be long so left the car at the gate. Headed up the track passing a crossing of tracks and headed on up the main track straight ahead until I came to another track on the left
2.JPG
The track to follow with small saplings en route
3.JPG
Looking back from where I had come, nice easy gradient made for fast walking, although the folliage was pretty wet with all the recent rain, underfoot conditions good
4.JPG
Follow the track on the left of this picture, higher up is where I met a cameraman from the Winterwatch team taking photographs, he of course had a landrover to assist in the climb. At this point I took the track on my left. It was here I was able to take photographs of Glen Ey to the South
5.JPG
Glen Ey from the track
6.JPG
After walking up the track and coming to where the trees thinned out, I just cut across the heather clad hillside heading towards where I thought the summit was, I soon came across the lower of the cairns. Picture shows both cairns
7.JPG
View from lower cairn
8.JPG
Summit cairn to the lower cairn
9.JPG
Summit cairn looking down to the South East
10.JPG
Summit view towards Glen Ey
Attachments
11.JPG
Heading back down the track which runs down to the first track which runs along the South side of the hill
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Braemar Graham, with fantastic views!

Postby mrssanta » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:06 pm

looks like a great wee breather and good to get out after all
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:05 pm

mrssanta wrote:looks like a great wee breather and good to get out after all

It's a cracker of a hill done with little effort, if your in the area and have a couple of hours to spare and the sky is clear, go for it. As you say, great to get out, but just did it in time, I see Glenshee snow gates are closed today :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:20 pm

Shame you weren't able to bag another café but at least the Fife Arms was open.

Oh yeah, the hill looks quite good too :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby RicKamila » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:35 pm

We circumnavigated this hill a couple of years back, think we might have to go back and climb it.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:39 pm

RicKamila wrote:We circumnavigated this hill a couple of years back, think we might have to go back and climb it.

Hi RicKamila, a wee gem of a hill for the camera if the weather is kind to you, and it won't take much effort to climb either! :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Sarah86 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:58 pm

Fantastic views as you say, really love the view to Glen Ey. Again, this looks like another one I would enjoy.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby malky_c » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:13 pm

Nice photos :) . I enjoyed this little hill - would definitely go up it again if I had a couple of hours spare in the area. It isn't really worth looking at other routes too hard though - I approached from further up Glen Quoich and almost drowned in the waist-deep heather! I'd go for this route next time.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:35 pm

Nice one. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:30 pm

Sarah86 wrote:Fantastic views as you say, really love the view to Glen Ey. Again, this looks like another one I would enjoy.

Hi Sarah86, a lovely wander, and nice to get out. I like the view to Glen Ey as well and further up nearer the summit, would also make a great picture, early morning or late evening, not far for your Penny either!
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:33 pm

malky_c wrote:Nice photos :) . I enjoyed this little hill - would definitely go up it again if I had a couple of hours spare in the area. It isn't really worth looking at other routes too hard though - I approached from further up Glen Quoich and almost drowned in the waist-deep heather! I'd go for this route next time.

The tracks make for comfortable walking, gaining height quite quickly, but once your off the second track there is a bit of heather bashing, not not for long, and to be honest I have come across a lot worse. Like you I'd climb this little gem again and again :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland