walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A9 Munros

A9 Munros

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:20 am

Munros included on this walk: A' Mharconaich, Beinn Udlamain, Geal-chàrn (Drumochter), Sgàirneach Mhòr

Date walked: 08/03/2010

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 25 km

Ascent: 1143m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sorry, no photos but just wanted to flag this up as a great route under current conditions. Setting off from Balsporran Cottages we had to negotiate some deep snow drifts before gaining easier ground on the NE ridge of Geal Charn. There was enough soft snow to make the going quite hard but we didn’t our crampons at any stage during the day. We made the summit of Geal Charn in about an hour and a quarter and then descended to the bealach between Geal Charn and A’Mharconaich before taking a slanting line across the corrie towards the summit. Then SE along the broad ridge until we picked up a line of fence posts which led all the way to Beinn Udlamain. Due to the very poor visibility we had to walk on a bearing for a lot of the time as we couldn’t see from one fence post to the next. We did see quite a few mountain hares lolloping about though: they appeared to turning grey again (for the Spring?!). From Beinn Udlamain we descended S to Carn ‘Ic Loumhaidh and then on up the slopes of Sgairneach Mhor. After walking along the ridge for about a km we descended into Coire Dhomhain the snow getting deeper as we lost height. The burn crossing was easy but after that the walk back to the car was a bit of a trial as the path was covered in deep snow in places and we had to walk about 5km on the cycle track alongside the A9. But it was worth it for a brilliant day out. We had white out conditions on all the summits (and the forecast said there was an 80% chance of cloud free Munros!).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: A9 Munros

Postby davetherave » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:28 am

Really is a good day out if the condition are good underfoot due to the snow. We did a similar route at the end of November 09 but i just Managed to squeeze in the Corbett The Sow of Atholl right at the death.
Made for a very long day though, and i ended up coming off the Corbett as dark was fast approaching. :D

link to my report...viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2622
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby HighlandSC » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:40 pm

Thanks for report. I'm doing this route on 23rd March. Think there's a chance there will be 2+ cars - is it possible to leave a car at the part near Sow of Atholl as you meet the A9?
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:12 pm

Yes, there is a layby that you can use just where our descent path meets the A9. Have a good time.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby mountain coward » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:15 am

A' Mharconaich is one of my favourite Munros so far... that area's just great in snow isn't it! :D
mountain coward

Postby SiBorg » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:38 am

HighlandSC wrote:Thanks for report. I'm doing this route on 23rd March. Think there's a chance there will be 2+ cars - is it possible to leave a car at the part near Sow of Atholl as you meet the A9?

There is a group of 10 - 14 of us doing this route on the 23rd also. Say hello if you see us, and feel free to ask about the hot dog.

This is our link.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=app ... 16&index=1
SiBorg
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   

Postby HighlandSC » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:09 am

It's you guys I'm going with :D
I'm Scott- driving down with Mike.

I've already seen a few pics of the hot dog :lol: :lol:
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby SiBorg » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:04 pm

Oh :lol:

Well erm, say hi when you see us.

I`ll meet you at the start point.
SiBorg
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland