walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

1st WH North America Meet Up - 13th April 2014

1st WH North America Meet Up - 13th April 2014

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:17 am

I'm having a road trip from Calgary to North Carolina (well why not) and after messaging Stretch recently we are going to form the nucleus of the first ever 'WH North America Meet Up' and we were hoping a few others might join us.

Monday the 14th April 2014 in Greensboro, North Carolina

I'm hoping that we might get a beer or two on Sunday the 13th and a hike Monday. Though Greensboro is not the most mountainous area (to say the least) there are some reasonable lumps just 1.5 hours west of there and I've got plenty of room in my truck.

The only solid detail right now is the date as it fits perfectly for both Stretch and myself but I welcome any questions on flexibility (I'm on a road trip after all) :wink:
Last edited by ChrisW on Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: 1st WH North America Meet Up - 13th April 2014

Postby MG1976 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:04 pm

IF ONLY I THOUGHT I COULD GET AWAY WITH IT, CHRIS...............

As it turns out, I may be over The Pond on that very date.
Looks like i'm heading over to California for an early summer holiday to visit my wife's family.
North Carolina isn't too far away (only 2200 miles) :-), so i'll have a word with the missus, and then shield my head accordingly.
Don't see there being much legs in my chances of joining you, but we could always agree to walk on the same day and then claim it as a Multi-State, North American WH Tour. :D

Nothern California is definitely on the "to do list" and, if I can get some permits sorted, I might even tackle one of the big hills up that way. North Carolina isn't too far away :-), so i'll have a word with the missus, and then shield my head accordingly.

Mt. Whitney looks to be out :( (permit restrictions), but Shata or Ritter might still get me my 1st 4000M'er....

Martin
MG1976
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:1   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:13 pm

Don't see there being much legs in my chances of joining you, but we could always agree to walk on the same day and then claim it as a Multi-State, North American WH Tour.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Love it.

If your first 4000m'er keeps you in CA that won't be the worst place in the world....but I've made that coast to coast drive across the US and it's an awesome trip :wink: ......... :lol:

Have a great time down in CA, if you let me know when you're returning next, maybe I'll do the Calgary -CA road trip again :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:26 pm

Sorry Chris. I might struggle to make this one, what with it being so soon after the Inchnadamph meet and all...... :crazy: :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:15 am

Graeme D wrote:Sorry Chris. I might struggle to make this one, what with it being so soon after the Inchnadamph meet and all...... :crazy: :shock:

:lol: :lol:

To be honest Graeme I was hoping you would be there to draw in the crowds, now they know you're not coming they're all going to back out :roll:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:22 pm

Chris just make sure Stretch doesn't bring his Buckfast to this meet theres no knowing what he will get up to once he has drank the stuff.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:05 am

gammy leg walker wrote:Chris just make sure Stretch doesn't bring his Buckfast to this meet theres no knowing what he will get up to once he has drank the stuff.

:lol: :lol: :lol: This almost makes me want to take a bottle along with me.................almost :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby HighlandSC » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:37 pm

If the local shops are all out of Buckfast :lol: I'm sure Stretch could rustle up some good old moonshine from the back woods of Tennessee :wink:

Chris, as I mentioned to you via PM before seeing this thread, it's uncertain if Michelle and I can make it to this but we want to try if possible. Watch this space for further news...
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby Gable Gable End » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:20 pm

May well be a possibility!
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby ChrisW » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:11 am

HighlandSC wrote:If the local shops are all out of Buckfast :lol: I'm sure Stretch could rustle up some good old moonshine from the back woods of Tennessee :wink:

Chris, as I mentioned to you via PM before seeing this thread, it's uncertain if Michelle and I can make it to this but we want to try if possible. Watch this space for further news...

I tried some 'shine' in Kentucky once....it took the enamel off my teeth :shock: ... :lol: If you can't make this one mate we'll do it again on my side of the border :wink:

Gable Gable End wrote:May well be a possibility!

That would be awesome.....Houston eh, I used to live in that humid metropolis....loved to go down to Brazos Bend State Park down to the SW of the city.....gators r us down there :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Stretch » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:45 pm

Stu knows he can visit and stay here in TN anytime. It would be awesome if Scott and Michelle could come down for a quick escape though. Roan Mountain in the northeast corner of TN seems to be our chosen destination - it's a great spot with excellent views.

As for the Buckie, I cannot confirm or deny that I like the stuff.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Gable Gable End » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:50 pm

So. Is there a plan for this? Looking at Yosemite today and getting all aspirational...
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:02 am

I'm going to be in NC for a week before the meet, heading to Greensboro on Sunday April 13th, would be happy to meet up for a beer Sunday evening.

Hiking Monday 14th on a section of the Appalachian Trail 2 hours west of Greensboro on the NC/TN border (Haven't fixed up a specific time as yet)

Depending on how Andy wants to approach this; if nobody is available for a beer in Greensboro I'm happy to head out to TN on Sunday evening and grab a place closer to the start point so we can get off in good time.

So there is almost a plan, the planned hike is not the most challenging and more about a steady wander with friends on "the most beautiful section along the entire length of the Appalachian Trail" or so many people apparently say.

Anyway, it may not be Yosemite but it would be great to see you up there :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:14 pm

I'm still watching this with interest but won't know if we can manage anything until much closer to the time :(
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:37 am

HighlandSC wrote:I'm still watching this with interest but won't know if we can manage anything until much closer to the time :(

Here's hoping you make it Scott, we're open to late comers :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs