walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buidhe & Cnapanaich - a late start to a year of promise

Buidhe & Cnapanaich - a late start to a year of promise

Postby Graeme D » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:24 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall Buidhe, Sron a' Choire Chnapanich

Date walked: 18/01/2014

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 14.9 km

Ascent: 999m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was another case of Beinn Mheadhoin getting off the hook - again! I'm losing count of the number of times I've had plans to do this one but had to call off or bail out for one reason or another. For the last 4 or 5 years, my first walk of the year has never been later than the first week of January, so this was also a case of being late out of the blocks for what looks set to be a year full of promise on many fronts - hillwalking plans, job, and house move to name but a few.

Kevsbald and I had planned to do the walk in from Linn of Dee to the Hutchison Hut on the Friday night before nailing Mheadhoin on the Saturday morning, but heavy snowfall at that altitude meant it was probably going to be a grim slog in the upper reaches of Glen Derry and up to the hut in Coire Etchachan. And I speak here from bitter personal experience having failed in a previous attempt in heavy snow one February night a few years back.

We batted around some alternatives and finally settled on the Gaick Corbetts but research suggested that given the recent levels of rainfall, there might be a couple of potentially tricky river crossings involved. That led us to the upper Glen Lyon Corbetts of Meall Buidhe and Sron a'Choire Cnapanaich and a 7.30am meet up at Bridge of Balgie.

The rain was lashing down by the time I pulled in beside Kev's car at Bridge of Balgie and the cloud was barely above the roofs. We considered jacking the whole thing in but decided to give it a go - we might only get the one Corbett in and get a drenching in the process but we'd come all this way. And after my aborted Hogmanay attempt at the Roughburn Round in Glen Spean, I was determined not to go back home empty handed again.

We drove along to just short of the Loch Lyon dam before doing a bit of cross country to pick up the track on the north side of the loch.

IMG_0306.JPG
Parking below the dam

IMG_0307.JPG
Meall a' Chall beyond the Loch Lyon dam

IMG_0308.JPG
Loch Lyon from the northern end of the dam

We didn't stay on the track for long before taking to the slopes and heading up onto Meall Phubaill. We soon got above the murk and into nicer conditions. The views may have remained limited for most of the day, white room stuff for much of it, but it was oddly atmospheric and, as long as the wind wasn't pummeling us full in the face, quite pleasant.

IMG_0309.JPG
Across the dam to Meall nan Subh from the ascent of Meall Phubail

IMG_0310.JPG
Kev entering the world of winter

We contoured round Creag a'Chaorainn and dropped down into the bealach before following the fence posts up the south east ridge of Meall Buidhe. Once onto the broad curving plateau, it was a nice high level pad along to the big domed summit which sits just a few metres below Munro height.

IMG_0315.JPG
Cnapanaich through a brief window

IMG_0317.JPG
A man alone in the vast white emptiness

IMG_0321.JPG
Back along the fence posts whence we came

IMG_0322.JPG
Summit of Meall Buidhe

The walk back into the howler was less pleasant and necessitated the wearing of goggles. It was a relief to be back down at the bealach, from where we picked our way along the Feith Thalain and over an area of rough peat hags onto the nose of Cnapanaich. There were some nice views down to Loch an Daimh and the stand of trees by the shoreline.

IMG_0323.JPG
Start of the plod along the Feith Thalain

IMG_0325.JPG
Cnapanaich 12 o'clock!

IMG_0327.JPG
Loch an Daimh visible down at the bottom of the glen

We soon got back up into winter proper .............

IMG_0328.JPG
Return to winter on the ascent of Cnapanaich

............ but from the summit there were no more views down to the loch - I walked over to the drop off to check but there was nothing to see.

IMG_0329.JPG
Summit of Cnapanaich

From there we headed off the south ridge and descended into the swamps of the Allt Phubaill before picking up the track at the little dam and dropping back down to Pubil.

IMG_0331.JPG
Picking up the track near the little dam - An Grianan in front of us

IMG_0332.JPG
The end is in sight

Not exactly what was hoped for but at least we got a result of sorts in the end, and I got what promises to be a big year on and off the hills up and running. :D :D :D :D :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Buidhe & Cnapanaich - a late start to a year of promise

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:33 pm

At least someone has got their walking year started the last summit I was on was July last year :shock: :(
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby pigeon » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:06 am

Aye well done both ,it's been grim of late so any day outs a bonus,also been looking at these 2 hills for a while but still looking for a break in the weather :roll: Hope you get to that pesky Cairngorm soon :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:07 am

Happy belated new year, MrD - maybe not what you'd planned but must've felt good to get out - still to start myself but I live in hope - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ChrisW » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:05 am

Great read as always Graeme, love the second summit shot too :lol: I never really got at it last year so have started well this time around...hopefully I'll keep it up :wink:

Good luck with, what sounds like a very busy year :thumbup: and don't forget, if you need a break from it all there's still time for you to change your mind and come along to North Carolina in April :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:17 am

Good effort you two, out at last! :D This weekend not looking good either! :(
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby kevsbald » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:00 pm

Twas two weeks ago! Drove up to the lairig over to Glen Lyon today with Em and pooch - no chance of getting over so we had a nice pad in the snow. Good to get out - are we still up for something on the 17th?
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby PeteR » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:14 pm

Getting out is getting out, so well done the two of you for......er.....getting out. Shame it wasn't Beinn Mheadhoin, but that day will come :D And it's a cracker by the way :thumbup:

Not been down this way for a while and have been thinking I ought to get myself over there and tick these two off.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Collaciotach » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:22 pm

looks mighty wet right enough !

Good shout though getting out the weather has been hellish !

:shock:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby dogplodder » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:29 pm

Brave souls indeed. :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:04 am

Good stuff, shame about the weather as Meall Buidhe is a great viewpoint towards Glen Coe :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Graeme D » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:57 pm

Cheers folks!

kevsbald wrote:Twas two weeks ago! Drove up to the lairig over to Glen Lyon today with Em and pooch - no chance of getting over so we had a nice pad in the snow. Good to get out - are we still up for something on the 17th?

Nope. Not up for anything on the 17th. Working! Up for something on the 20th though. Or 21st. 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland