walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hill of Stake and Misty Law

Hill of Stake and Misty Law

Postby Johnoneill1916 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:31 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Hill of Stake

Date walked: 02/02/2014

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 13.3 km

Ascent: 360m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started off on a dreich Sunday morning with my dog Fraoch from the Clyde Muirshiel visitor centre and headed along the track towards the old barytes mine where the rain managed to stay away. Headed in a S/SW direction onto the open moor trying to follow quad tracks as much as possible. At this stage the wind picked up a little and the snow came on! :? Going underfoot was reasonable for most of it but a few bits were pretty boggy (knee deep at one stage) :(

P1120548.JPG

At the summit 8)

P1120552.JPG

Not much of a view today

Reached the summit by following the wire fence to the SE for the last few hundered yards and stopped for a wee quick coffee and chocolate :D but not too much to see in the mist and rain. Headed along the fence line towards East Girt hill and again up to my knees in bog at the bottom of the dip then again a little further up towards the East Girt summit. Continued along the fence line then cut in towards the summit of Misty Law. 8)

P1120555.JPG

East Girt Hill

P1120556.JPG

Hill of Stake

P1120557_stitch.jpg

Misty Law

Headed for the steep grassy side and decided a 70-80 foot side down the banking was to good to miss :lol: and headed along the track till reaching the burn. Turned NW here and followed the fence line for half a mile or so over the open moor. Going was soft at parts but was only ankle deep :wink: Headed north till I got a back to the river Calder then upstream to get to the bridge to cross. Only problem was tributary burn that had to be waded through :roll: Walked back along the last few hundred yards of track to the visitor centre to unpack :clap: This is one that would definitely be recommended for after a spell of decent dry weather :lol:

P1120569.JPG

Looking down from Misty Law

P1120570.JPG

Too much fun not to slide down (quicker too!!) :lol:

P1120571.JPG

Fraoch enjoying the walk :D
Last edited by Johnoneill1916 on Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Johnoneill1916
Bird-watcher

Munros:11   Corbetts:4
Fionas:5   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:17   
Islands:7

Re: Hill of Stake and Misty Law

Postby Gareth Harper » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:53 pm

Nice one.

Been meaning to head out there for ages. Did it many years ago.

Knee deep?! Doesn't sound good. I'd be getting a bit panicky if I got up to my knees, there's bogs up there that might swallow you whole!

A blue sky frosty day coinciding with a day off could tempt me.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby ceegee » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:58 pm

Walked this about 30 years ago when I was about 12 with the local Boys Brigade. None of us had any gear so one of the officers who worked with the local council provided us with steel toe capped boots to walk in. These and a small kagool that packed into a belt ha ha . We all got soaked but thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
Will need to get up again for old times sake.
ceegee

Munros:14   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Johnoneill1916 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:23 am

It does get concerning after it goes past the ankles :lol: Wasnt too bad, only 5-10 yards of bog and it was in the dip between East Girt Hill and Hill of Stake and was also along the fence line. Defo a good wee walk for the summer though :lol:
Johnoneill1916
Bird-watcher

Munros:11   Corbetts:4
Fionas:5   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:17   
Islands:7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland