walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Garbh Beheinn and Belig by a different route

Garbh Beheinn and Belig by a different route

Postby daleswalker » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:49 pm

Route description: Garbh Bheinn and Belig

Corbetts included on this walk: Garbh-bheinn (Skye)

Grahams included on this walk: Belig

Date walked: 02/06/2003

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This report is from several years back, so apologies for any inaccuracies or boggy bits forgotten. My son and I made the ascent of Belig and Garbh Bheinn from the B8083 road at the head of Loch Slapin where there was plenty of space for parking. We made a beeline for the base of Belig and ascended its steep and fairly exposed SE ridge to the summit ridge. From the summit we made the very steep descent of the western ridge [as par the Walk Highlands route in reverse] to the col at 456m and then ascended Garbh Beinn by its north east ridge which steepens and narrows the higher one gets, eventually leading to the small summit area from which there are magnificent views in all directions, but particularly towards the main Cuillin ridge ahead, left to Clach Glas and Blabheinn and right, over the Red Cuillin towards Raasay. We made the descent down a rocky and fairly exposed SE ridge to the col at 636m. The way over Sgurr nan Each looked tempting, but we were unsure of the ground and the nature of the descent along its SE ridge, so instead opted for a direct descent along the line of the Allt Aigeinn starting with a superb scree run into the upper corrie. There were traces of a thin path down the glen and a series of small waterfalls to add interest. I don't remember any bog, but after a 10+ year gap one tends to remember the good bits. It is certainly a less boggy route than that on the north side from the A87.
daleswalker
Mountaineer

Re: Garbh Beheinn and Belig by a different route

Postby gaffr » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:31 pm

I would agree with you that starting form the head of Loch Slapin is good since it then opens up a longer traverse when both Clach Glas and Blabheinn are added to Belig and Garbh bheinn.
Maybe Clach Glas is not the place for a young lad to be though. :) The fine circuit is is no problem when having the motor parked up at Slapin. :D I must I like Belig it is a grand wee hill with fine outlooks.
Don't know about the descent from Sgurr nan Each......never been down that way.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Grahams:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   

Postby jmarkb » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:58 pm

It's a good round for sure :D. The descent of Sgurr nan Each is steep and stony but otherwise not too bad. The scrambling along the crest is fun and not much harder than the Belig/Garbh-bheinn bit. There is a steep slab at one point which can be outflanked by a rising traverse on the right (south) side - this line is harder to spot if going E-W.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:241   Corbetts:96
Grahams:79   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:43   

Postby clivegrif » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:23 pm

Completely agree with the above - it was my best day out last year:-

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32975
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:33
Grahams:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:193
Wainwrights:50   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland