walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Different Part Of Glen Tanar

A Different Part Of Glen Tanar

Postby RicKamila » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:18 pm

Date walked: 22/02/2014

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 447m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A nice wee 15km wander around some parts of Glen Tanar that we were yet to explore. Parked up at the main carpark and set off towards the Fairy Lochan.

The Fairy Lochan by Rick Ellerman Photography, on Flickr

Sticks and Leaves by Rick Ellerman Photography, on Flickr

We walked past four tracks that joined from the right and then headed uphill at the fifth where the main track bends. A slow rise to start with before getting steeper near the top.

Resting Cart by Rick Ellerman Photography, on Flickr

We reached a tree where the dirt tracks formed a roundabout and turned right which brought us out towards the Haunted Stag moorland. Very wet and muddy here and there was a stream crossing that was easily managed today, but could be problamatic when another metre wider. We had lunch at the top of the hill and then took the left path past the Haunted Stag stones.

Deeside by Rick Ellerman Photography, on Flickr

We got a great view of Mount Keen's summit disappearing in the clouds that we forming around its summit.

Where Did Mount Keen Go? by Rick Ellerman Photography, on Flickr

The path took us right around to the Knockie Viewpoint where there were we saw the sun disappear behind some interesting looking clouds.

Cloud Effect 1 by Rick Ellerman Photography, on Flickr

Cloud Effect 2 by Rick Ellerman Photography, on Flickr

We stopped at the viewpoint before heading back down the hill to the car.

"Fallen Soldiers" by Rick Ellerman Photography, on Flickr

Highlight of the day - spotting a White-Tailed Eagle (albeit briefly) and taking a very bad photograph of it, but enough to get it a confirmed sighting :D

DSCF1066.JPG
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Re: A Different Part Of Glen Tanar

Postby rockhopper » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:07 pm

nice day for a wee wander :thumbup: cheered me up seeing some blue sky - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby RicKamila » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:17 pm

rockhopper wrote:nice day for a wee wander :thumbup: cheered me up seeing some blue sky - cheers :)

The blue gives the impression it was nice... IT WAS FREEZING!! I haven't been as cold as I was today for a long time :-|
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:23 pm

RicKamila wrote:The blue gives the impression it was nice... IT WAS FREEZING!! I haven't been as cold as I was today for a long time

Oh dear, should've worn all your thermals and walked faster :roll:
But look on the bright side, you were out walking and got some great photos :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby RicKamila » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:29 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:
RicKamila wrote:The blue gives the impression it was nice... IT WAS FREEZING!! I haven't been as cold as I was today for a long time

Oh dear, should've worn all your thermals and walked faster :roll:
But look on the bright side, you were out walking and got some great photos :thumbup:

Thanks Susie :)

Thermals probably would have been a good idea, but actually at the start of the walk we were almost down to t-shirts as it was so warm in the forest. It was once we hit the moors and got blasted by Mount Keen that it froze us!!
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Postby RiverSong » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:54 pm

Always good to see the Glen and these photos are lovely Rick, especially the sticks and leaves one :D

Well done on spotting a sea eagle - amazing, have never seen one myself :clap:
RiverSong
Walker

Postby ChrisW » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:28 am

Thanks for the memories JK, I did a good chunk of this hike myself (a couple of times I think) and really enjoyed it. I loved Glen Tanar, such a quiet place with wonderful views and few people most of the time :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:47 pm

Looks a really enjoyable walk, lots of pretty scenes. I really like the first shot.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland