walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall a Bhuachaille - no puns required

Meall a Bhuachaille - no puns required

Postby kevsbald » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:14 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a' Bhuachaille

Date walked: 09/03/2010

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 480m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Unusually, I find myself writing with a hangover - a 21-year old from Glengoyne did the damage - was good at the time but I'm suffering today. Apologies if this report doesn't really flow or have any jokes. I returned from the Cairngorms after a magical outing - one of those days that doesn't really require a full verbal account of what happened - hopefully the photos do it justice. I had longed to do Bynack More for yonks but knew that the snowfall was immense and I'd likely be wading for hours before giving up and returning Munro-less or worse, actually become part of hill folklore - "he just waded into the sunset and was never found again - sometimes you can hear him cracking jokes and laughing at his own tales - then you hear the wading again...he wisnae right...." Sorry, where was I? Got up to Glenmore Lodge quite late in the day - 1330. I parked just past the Lodge and as I disembarked, I was rounded up by two excitable collie dogs - Come High! The path down through and on to the Ryvoan gap is a simply magical place to be - the different fauna and flora are outstanding and I was lost in a world of idyllic surroundings. As things tend to happen, this simple walk turned awkward when I obviously began ascending up Meall a Bhuachaille too early - it was rather steep going - so steep that I had to grab heather and roots to pull myself up - I had clearly taken the wrong way up. It did however provide rapid ascent and fantastic views across the Cairngorms - and there was Bynack More popping out in the distance. The only problem I have is the ski paraphernalia which really leaves a sour taste in the mouth as these hills are beautiful to look at. By using strategically placed trees, I was able to capture the hills minus the bumpf. I plateau'd out and enjoyed the final walk up to the huge summit cairn - I donned all my gear, sat down and just revelled in the heat on my face, while being insulated against the perishing Cairngorm wind. It was a beautiful 10 minutes of afternoon peace - probably about 1645 and not another soul on the hill. Quite a moving experience and I was genuinely reluctant to get up and move on. However, I did and although I wasn't planning on the full traverse of Creagan Gorm and Craiggowrie, they did look very tantalising. No, it was getting late and I had to get down - although fun at first by virtue of skooting (ski-ing in Scarpa boots - quite fun), the snow softened up further down and I was actually wading back to the forest. The track alongside the road brought me back to my starting point. Once again, another brilliant Corbett in the bag and a superb day out.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_3373.JPG
And thus the walk begins..
IMG_3374.JPG
An lochan uaine - no green to be seen
IMG_3377.JPG
Ryvoan bothy in the distance
IMG_3379.JPG
Is that Bynack More peepin' oot?
IMG_3381.JPG
Wow
IMG_3382.JPG
Double wow
IMG_3385.JPG
Almost there..
IMG_3386.JPG
Summit cairn - it's a big ene
IMG_3388.JPG
Bliss
IMG_3389.JPG
Creagan Gorm and Craiggowrie - for another day
IMG_3390.JPG
Love you hills...mwah
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Meall a Bhuachaille - no puns required

Postby Graeme D » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Nice one Kev - Ronnie strikes again! One of the few hills my wife has done but I havnae!

I'm assuming the Glengoyne related damage was not inflicted on the hill, but rather afterwards once you were back chez toi? Anyway, at least the mice didnae get it this time. Wee blighters! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:05 pm

I don't know, I reckon you look a bit like you are hungover in that summit shot :wink:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby HighlandSC » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:31 pm

Paul Webster wrote:I don't know, I reckon you look a bit like you are hungover in that summit shot :wink:

:lol: Could explain the shortcut to ascend, avoiding the excellent path?

Good report again Kev. You're fairly getting around at the moment.

Nice to see this with it's winter clothes on. This was the last 'proper' hill walk I did - way back at the start of November!(god help my legs when I start hill-bashing again later this month!). It's a bit of a bog-fest path carrying on for the full traverse, but it looks like it'd have been pleasurable with the snow covering at the moment.

A fine cairn up there eh, be good to sit in for a few drams :D
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby CurlyWurly » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:18 pm

Good effort Kev, the weather looks amazing. Just hoping it stays that way for my week up there at the end of March!
CurlyWurly
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Fionas:17   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:50   

Postby Graeme D » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:32 pm

Paul Webster wrote:I don't know, I reckon you look a bit like you are hungover in that summit shot :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby LeithySuburbs » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:04 am

lovely pics. There really is sooooooooooooooooo much snow still up that way. With a mild weekend forecast down here, looks like most of the Lowand snow will be gone by Monday. However, it's hung about much longer south of the Forth/Clyde line than I can remember. Last year it was almost t-shirt weather in mid-March. Still, I'm ready for spring now.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby mountain coward » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:38 am

LOL - it's 'Come Bye' - at least the most shepherds/farmers say that - but maybe it's different up your way? Basically means go left...

Some lovely pics there although, even though I know Ryvoan Bothy quite well, I can't make it out in the pic. Must be 'cos I haven't seen it from above!

So you had a wild time with a 21-year-old and felt bad next day? :lol:
mountain coward

Postby HighlandSC » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:51 am

mountain coward wrote:Some lovely pics there although, even though I know Ryvoan Bothy quite well, I can't make it out in the pic. Must be 'cos I haven't seen it from above!

Took me a good stare but I got it eventually...
Hidden Ryvoan.jpg
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby kevsbald » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:40 am

I look hungover??!! Fit a cheek! :lol:
MC - have you been to Specsavers? I think I prefer 'Come High'...
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby gaffr » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:35 pm

Aye, paths are hard to find at this time of the year when they are buried under snow :lol: But you had the helpful ski tracks to follow 8) .....these little fellows can be testing for the Munro boys!
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Wanderlust » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:33 pm

nice pics :)
Wanderlust

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Hewitts:79
Wainwrights:131   

Postby mountain coward » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:41 am

kevsbald wrote:I look hungover??!! Fit a cheek! :lol:
MC - have you been to Specsavers? I think I prefer 'Come High'...

Yes, of course I've been to Specsavers... that's how I found where my computer was! :D
mountain coward

Postby smirnie71 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:55 pm

Can't wait to have a go at this, my first planned Corbett in a couple of weeks time.. and the snowfall persists!
Thank goodness Crampons and ice-axes are available to hire and I'm going with an able friend. Thanks for a fabulous report! 8)
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:24
Islands:14

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland