walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cowal Way

Cowal Way

Postby stapper » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:08 am

Route description: Loch Lomond and Cowal Way

Date walked: 12/09/2013

Time taken: 7 days

Distance: 90 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hello everyone,

My boyfriend and I walked the Cowal Way in september of 2013. We would like to share our experiences with anyone who would like to walk this Way. We found it hard that there was so few information on this route, so if you are intending to walk this beautiful Way, don't hesitate to contact us for more information and tips.

Greetings!
stapper

Re: Cowal Way

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:14 pm

Hi stapper

Hope you enjoyed it.

Not sure when I'm going to do it (2014 plans sorted) but I fancy doing a combo of the Cowal and Kintyre Ways some time in the future so I might well be after some advice.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby stapper » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:25 pm

Hello,

We have no experience with the Kintyre, but if you have some concrete questions about the Cowal Way, just shoot, I'll be glad to answer them!
stapper

Postby gordymc » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:59 pm

Hi Stapper,
Thinking of doing The Cowal Way during Easter weekend break and taking my wee cocker spaniel with me, was thinking of doing it in 3- 4 days, wild camping most of it, how was the bog factor, are there good places to wild camp in Glendaruel, Clachan, strachur & Lochgoilhead, also is there place on route to stock with supplies? All information is well appreciated, look forward to yoyr reply.
Thanks Gordy
gordymc
Mountaineer

Munros:7   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby stapper » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:53 pm

gordymc wrote:Hi Stapper,
Thinking of doing The Cowal Way during Easter weekend break and taking my wee cocker spaniel with me, was thinking of doing it in 3- 4 days, wild camping most of it, how was the bog factor, are there good places to wild camp in Glendaruel, Clachan, strachur & Lochgoilhead, also is there place on route to stock with supplies? All information is well appreciated, look forward to yoyr reply.
Thanks Gordy

Hi Gordy,

The bog-factor is medium, so if you have good shoes and a dog who doesn't mind mud at his feet, there won't be a problem. 3-4 days seems a little fast, but if you are a good walker, there is no problem of course. There are enough beautiful places to camp, you also always can ask villagers (in Lochgoilhead, there is a nice place to camp in the village). In every village you can buy some food, but it can be out, so always be sure that you have enough. I think you should buy the book of Rucksackreaders, it was a huge help for us!!

If you have more questions, shoot!

Greetings,

Stapper
stapper

Postby gordymc » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:56 pm

stapper wrote:
Thanks Gordy

Hi Gordy,

The bog-factor is medium, so if you have good shoes and a dog who doesn't mind mud at his feet, there won't be a problem. 3-4 days seems a little fast, but if you are a good walker, there is no problem of course. There are enough beautiful places to camp, you also always can ask villagers (in Lochgoilhead, there is a nice place to camp in the village). In every village you can buy some food, but it can be out, so always be sure that you have enough. I think you should buy the book of Rucksackreaders, it was a huge help for us!!

Greetings,

Stapper

Hi Stapper,
Sorry to bother you again, but do you think the fixed rope section before Ormidale Lodge will be ok for my wee dog to tackle?
Gordy
gordymc
Mountaineer

Munros:7   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby stapper » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:16 pm

gordymc wrote:
stapper wrote:
Thanks Gordy

Hi Gordy,

Greetings,

Stapper

Hi Stapper,
Sorry to bother you again, but do you think the fixed rope section before Ormidale Lodge will be ok for my wee dog to tackle?
Gordy

Hi Gordy,

I must say that I'm not really a dog-person, so I can't really tell. It is a hard piece, maybe the hardest of the whole Way, I can't really assess if your dog will make it or not, I'm sorry.

Stapper
stapper

Postby hughlio » Thu May 29, 2014 11:15 am

Hey Stapper / Gordy

I'm doing this walk in a few weeks, just me and my dogs. I wondered how much your navigation skills were called upon during the route. I'm familiar with map and compass, but not confident.

And Gordy, do you have any particular advice regarding the dogs? I'll be doing similar to you, wild camping and dragging the pooches with me.

Hugh :)
hughlio
Mountaineer

Postby stapper » Thu May 29, 2014 7:49 pm

hughlio wrote:Hey Stapper / Gordy

I'm doing this walk in a few weeks, just me and my dogs. I wondered how much your navigation skills were called upon during the route. I'm familiar with map and compass, but not confident.

And Gordy, do you have any particular advice regarding the dogs? I'll be doing similar to you, wild camping and dragging the pooches with me.

Hugh :)

Hey Hugh!

If you can work with compass and map, than you will be fine! The only part wich can be difficult is from Lochgoilhead to Inveruglas. On top of the hills the visibility can be poor sometimes, but we didn't have any problems with that, you just have to look out for the with marker posts. The guide from Rucksack Readers helped us very good with everything, so I can recommend that one!

Stapper
stapper

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes