walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hope Cross & Win Hill Pike - 7/3/2010

Hope Cross & Win Hill Pike - 7/3/2010

Postby Yomper » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:38 am

Date walked: 12/03/2010

Time taken: 4

Distance: 8 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A nice, steady 6.5 mile yomp in dry, sunny but chilly weather

Arrived at Hope Village at 9.15 and searched in vain for a parking place, even the 'pay & displays' were full

With a lot of luck my walking buddy Dave spotted a chap getting into his car next to the church in Hope village, we quickly pulled in as he was going !

Yomped up Hope Cross which was quite steep in places to the ridge which took us on to the summit of Win Hill

We had lunch near the trig point and the visibility & views were cracking !

A lone sheep was mooching about looking for the odd spare pork pie from other walkers, whom most, like us, were having their lunch, eventually it wandered over to us, I treated it to a Custard Cream which was promptly ate, I turned to admire the view and the sheep took full advantage and stuck his nose in my buttie box and snaffled my last 2 remaining biscuits !!
:shock:

My pal thought this was hilarious - cheeky bloody sheep !

After grub, we walked westerly along the ridge towards Edale then turned south-west dropping down through farmers fields and eventually back to Hope

An old book shop was spotted and on closer inspection there was a basket of maps, we found a walkers map of the Peak District which was purchased for the princely sum of 10 bob ( 50p )

Walk over, we headed back home, stopping en-route for some liquid refreshments, all in all, an enjoyable scenic walk

------------------------------------

Here is a short video ( 1 min ) taken from the summit of Win Hill

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuRkZjKg9-E[/youtube]

==========================

Video & Photo's taken with LG Cookie mobile phone
Yomper
Mountaineer

Re: Hope Cross & Win Hill Pike - 7/3/2010

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:12 am

Old stomping ground of my youth :lol:

I remember a school trip to Kinder Scout where we were all sat at the top of Grindsbrook and the teacher was sat opposite facing us. His pack was behind him, and a sheep wondered over to it, stuck its head in and made off with his butties - of course we could all see it and he couldn't.

I reckon they were lamb sandwiches as well.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Yomper » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:07 am

Wonder if it was the same biccy-loving sheep :shock:

Great walking country though the Peak District, one of my favourite haunts !
Yomper
Mountaineer

Postby midgebite » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:18 pm

Good old Win Hill, i was born in its shadow at Yorkshire Bridge near Ladybower Reservoir, and i now live in Bradwell and can see it from my front door, and i work below it in Hope. Throughout my life i have played on it, camped on it, sledged on it, walked on it and run on it and been to the top more times than i can remember. Win hill holds a very special place in my heart and in my life and it will continue to do so until the day i depart this mortal coil.
midgebite
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:2
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland