walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Croft Head from Selcoth

Croft Head from Selcoth

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:31 am

Fionas included on this walk: Croft Head

Donalds included on this walk: Croft Head

Date walked: 03/03/2014

Time taken: 2.45 hours

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Missed this one when i did a route from Potburn on the Friday so as forecast was good drove down to Moffat to walk this from Selcoth. There is a parking area for walkers and anglers once over the bridge. Here the walk begins by taking the track towards Selcoth and just before it a public footpath signs points to a track that runs up along the Selcoth Burn. I wasn't on this long before i dropped down to cross the burn to gain the ridge. You can continue to beyond Selcoth to get to the ridge to save crossing the burn. After i was across i made my way to the ridge and followed it to the summit. Once there i had options for my return, one was to return down the ridge, two was to go down the other ridge to the west and the third was to continue down the SUW and return along the path south of the burn. I opted for the third one which had great views as you head down, although the path alongside the burn is on steep slopes and care is needed at times. After it leveled out a bit i crossed the burn to take the track on th other side back to the start.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

https://plus.google.com/photos/110051255472035874897/albums/5986578468423137729
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Croft Head from Selcoth

Postby rockhopper » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:57 pm

From the photos, looks like a great day, JC
Well worth missing out the first time round to necessitate the return visit :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby lomondwalkers » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:36 pm

That looks a decent wee walk JC :thumbup: Was the a708 opened? I drove down to Moffat intending to do the Hart Fell horseshoe last week and it was closed (for 7 weeks from 17th Feb!). Ended up doing the 2 Donalds I'd left when I did Green Lowther and pals
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:47 pm

rockhopper wrote:From the photos, looks like a great day, JC
Well worth missing out the first time round to necessitate the return visit :wink: - cheers :)
Cheers it turned out to be a great walk, just goes to show a navigation error can work in your favour :wink:
lomondwalkers wrote:That looks a decent wee walk JC :thumbup: Was the a708 opened? I drove down to Moffat intending to do the Hart Fell horseshoe last week and it was closed (for 7 weeks from 17th Feb!). Ended up doing the 2 Donalds I'd left when I did Green Lowther and pals
There was a road closed sign in Moffat but i hadn't driven down just to drive home again so drove got through ok. However when i returned there was work going on clearing up branches etc but could get through ok. I came across a similar situation on my way to Ettrick on the Friday and on this occasion there were no roadworks or anything. :crazy:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:55 am

According to your map you walk in very straight lines JC :lol: Great day by the look of those pics, really beautiful scenery too and then a lovely moody 'mist in the valley' shot to finish...love it, what a great wee wander :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:05 pm

ChrisW wrote:According to your map you walk in very straight lines JC :lol: Great day by the look of those pics, really beautiful scenery too and then a lovely moody 'mist in the valley' shot to finish...love it, what a great wee wander :clap:
Aye that's me, Straight up then straight back doon again unless i get lost :crazy:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland