walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sweating the day away - Glen Lyon various hills

Sweating the day away - Glen Lyon various hills

Postby malky_c » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:37 pm

Route description: Meall Buidhe & Sròn a' Choire Chnapanich, Pubil

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall Buidhe, Meall nam Maigheach, Meall nan Subh, Sron a' Choire Chnapanich

Date walked: 08/07/2013

Time taken: 6.8 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1645m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I woke up in the passenger seat of my car in Inverlochlarig on Monday morning. Bed would've been more comfortable but at least I wasn't at work today! As Sunday's walk had ended much later than originally planned, I had a lie-in until 7:30 am, something which possibly cost me my 5th hill of the day. I drove over to Glen Lochay in low cloud which gradually cleared.

I'm not entirely sure what the status of the road over to Glen Lyon is. Last time I went over it (about 9 years ago), it was ungated, but shown as a track on my OS map. Later editions of the map now show it as an unclassified road, but the Kenknock estate had been busy with new deer fences, gates and 'no unauthorised vehicles' signs in the meantime. The gates were unlocked so I drove over anyway. Whatever the official line is, the road surface is now terrible! I had to drop into first gear to negotiate some of the potholes.

Walk 1:
Corbetts: Meall nan Subh.
Date: 08/07/2013.
Distance: 3 km.
Ascent: 310m.
Time taken: 1 hour.
Weather: Hot and sunny.

I parked at a bit of hardstanding just past the high point of the road and hit the hillside at 9.30 am. It didn't take long for me to reach the summit area, which was lumpy with several possible tops. The highest one was obvious after a little.

Subh.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Sgiath Chuil:

Beinn Heasgarnaich:

Beinn Challuim and Beinn Heasgarnaich:

Meall Buidhe with Ben Nevis behind:

Sron a Choire Chnapanich and Glen Lyon:

Not bad views at all, and the top was very attractive. I had a quick stop and second breakfast - it was rapidly warming up.

Ben More, Beinn Cheathaich and Beinn Challuim from the summit:

An easy trot back down to the car by a similar route. A lot of construction traffic was using this road to renew some power line poles at Pubil. Luckily I didn't get sandwiched in it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Walk 2:
Corbetts: Meall Buidhe, Sron a'Choire Chnapanich.
Distance: 14 km.
Ascent: 995m.
Time taken: 4 hours 10 minutes.
Weather: Very hot and sunny.

I parked up just past the dam road and topped up with water from the river. I only like to carry a litre at a time with me, so I topped up on at least another 3 occasions around the walk!

Buidhe.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Meall Ghaordaidh and Glen Lyon from near Pubil:

I headed up the tarmac dam road before realising that it was the wrong one - doh! A climb over a fence and a quick climb up a grassy slope put me on the right track, which I left shortly afterwards to climb the steep nose of Meall Phubail. By coincidence, Frigate had done this route the day before in the same conditions, so what follows is exactly the same photos backwards :lol: .

Lyon Dam:

Great views down Loch Lyon and onto the wild northern side of Beinn Heasgarnaich. Easier walking led me up to Creag a Chaorainn, then down to the foot of Meall Buidhe. There is a choice of ridges here. I took the more westerly one, which gave me a chance to fill up with water. I sweated my way up the final slopes and across a rogue area of quartzy rock to the summit cairn.

Beinn Mhanach and Loch Lyon:

Beinn Heasgarnaich:

Down Glen Lyon:

Beinn Dorain, Beinn Mhanach and Loch Lyon:

Meall Buidhe from Creag a Chaorainn:

I was immediately impressed with the outlook over Rannoch Moor to Glencoe, Glen Nevis and the rest. Something this Meall Buidhe shares with the other one just to the east. Another break to dry off a bit.

Rannoch panorama: Black Mount, Buachaille Etive Mor, Mamores, Ben Nevis to the Grey Corries:

Black Mount and the Buachaille:

All 5 of the Bridge of Orchy Munros are in there somewhere:

Black Mount again:

Stob na Cruaiche with the Easains and Chno Dearg behind:

The route onward to Sron a Choire Chnapanich doesn't follow a straightforward line. After an easy stroll across the Meall Buidhe plateau (where I strayed a little off the edge for the views of Loch an Daimh), it is a steep traversing descent to the Feith Thalain, then a contour out to the peat hagged col. The views of Stuchd an Lochain and Loch an Daimh more than compensate though.

Loch an Daimh and Stuchd an Lochain:

...with Sron a Choire Chnapanich in the foreground:

Descent from Meall Buidhe:

Across Gleann Daimh to Meall Cruinn:

After the peat hags, the ascent of Sron a Choire Chnapanich was easy. I was getting rather knackered though, and thoughts of the next Corbett duo that I had planned were getting pushed out of my mind, to be replaced with a swim in the river somewhere down in Glen Lyon.

More great views off the steep nose of Sron a Choire Chnapanich, and another break. Then it was down into Coire Phubuill to pick up the track back into the glen. Back in the car, my hands almost melted to the steering wheel.

Loch an Daimh from Sron a Choire Chnapanich:

The other Meall Buidhe:

Stuchd an Lochain:

I got a bit of a rest while driving down Glen Lyon. It was a great afternoon - too good for walking, I was starting to think :wink: . I stopped to take some photos of the north side of Meall Ghaordaidh, and wondered again why anybody bothers going up it from Glen Lochay (shorter drive from the west aside). My only other sunny day in Glen Lyon had been a hike up onto Creag Laoghain and over Meall Ghaordaidh. I almost included Beinn nan Oighreag that day, and have been kicking myself ever since for missing it. Particularly as I was planning to miss it again :roll:

Creag Laoghain. More people should go up Meall Gheordaidh from here!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Walk 3:
Corbetts: Meall nam Maigheach.
Distance: 4 km.
Ascent: 340m.
Time taken: 1 hour 40 minutes.
Weather: Very hot and slightly overcast.

Odd that Frigate had just done the same route as me - one of his earlier reports of a circular route on Beinn nan Oighreag and Meall nam Maigheach had been my intended plan for today's last route. Why do a quick up and down onto Meall nam Maigheach when you could make a proper walk of it? Strangely, by the time I had parked up on the Ben Lawers visitor centre road, my thoughts on this had changed dramatically :lol: . Quick bash up Meall nam Maigheach it was then, leaving Beinn nan Oighreag for a circuit with either Meall Ghaordaidh or Meall nan Tarmachan in the future. There was a very small parking area where I wanted to start. Room for two cars if squeezed in.

Maigheach.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

My ascent started from here:

I followed the wall up onto the summit. Nothing to say about the route really. It took me a little longer than expected - I really wasn't in any shape to be adding a 5th hill on afterwards!

Beinn nan Oighreag. Best left for another visit:

Back of the Tarmachan ridge (or the front if you prefer):

Good views of An Stuc and Lawers from the summit. I lay down for a good 15 minutes up there, before wandering over to the slightly lower Meall Luaidhe. Glad I did, as the views over Glen Lyon were much better from here. Great to see all of those summits that I'd been up with no views in the past.

An Stuc and Ben Lawers:

Stuchd an Lochain and Loch an Daimh:

Cam Creag. Some whiteout fun was had on this in 2011:

Meall a Mhuic and Beinn Dearg:

Carn Gorm to Carn Mairg:

Then it was back down to the car by a similar route. I didn't fancy driving back down to Glen Lyon for a swim so I settled for a wash in the burn next to the car. It was a pity not to get all 5 of the hills I'd planned - there are only a handful of places you can do 5 Corbetts in a day without some serious fellrunning effort. Still, as I had thought earlier, it was too nice a day for walking :lol: .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Sweating the day away - Glen Lyon various hills

Postby pigeon » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:42 pm

Nice wee collection of hills you managed there Malky,tough going i'll bet so well done :clap: Done Meall nam Maigheach recently and was also tempted by Frigate's route taking in Oighreag at the same time,plumped for the corbett book suggestion in the end,going up from Camusvrachan and back down the Gleann da'Eig,nice wee hike it was :wink: Still got a few to do up in Glen Lyon so i'll be using your's and Frigate's reports soon :wink:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby Frigate » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:05 pm

Starters, Main Course and Dessert all in one day - nice, still looked hot up there.

Like the idea of the walk around Coire Raidhaict from the Green shed on the lawers road. Up via Beinn a'Bhuic, Tarmachan and along Creag an Lochain back to the road.
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:9
Islands:12

Postby Graeme D » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:45 pm

Epic effort in those conditions young lad! You are forgiven for giving Oighreag the swerve! Nice to see views to Mhanach and co where I spent a similarly hot and sweaty 7 hours yesterday. And after the 2 Corbetts I very nearly bailed on Mhanach but my stubborn side got the better of my sensible side. :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Collaciotach » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:22 pm

Good effort a bhalaich the heat is a killer just now :D

These estates make me laugh with their signs , you would think they owned the land :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:53 pm

Very efficient, malky - great way to cover these hills. Like pigeon, I'll be keeping this in mind for shorter travelling days. I had always thought it wasn't possible to drive up from Kenknock - good to know it's possible - cheers :)
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby malky_c » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:08 pm

Cheers all :)

Graeme D wrote: Nice to see views to Mhanach and co where I spent a similarly hot and sweaty 7 hours yesterday. And after the 2 Corbetts I very nearly bailed on Mhanach but my stubborn side got the better of my sensible side. :lol:

Had I stuck to my previous plan (which didn't involve returning to Dundee to pick up the damn cat), I would probably have bumped into you, as I was planning the normal 5 Corbett round from Auch Gleann before heading back to Inverness.
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Tomsie » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:25 pm

Some good photo's, was up there yesterday didn't get the views I was after over Rannoch :(

I used the road from Lawers to Balgie much safer option then driving up the glen. Unless its the dead of night :)
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:34 pm

Great collection you've strung together there Malky...I'd have stopped after number 2 :lol: :lol: I'm glad you didn't, I really enjoyed these, great photos all the way. It must have been hard work in hot sunny weather and not made any easier by starting from a nights sleep in the car ....great stuff as always :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:52 pm

Great Photos.
Ascent of Meall nam Maigheach by the standard route is tedious and boggy (though mercifully short) , but the hill is redeemed by the views particularly of the Ben Lawyers group but also of the hills to the west and north which are very fine . I descended roughly down your ascent route - easy dry grass slopes and then walked back along the valley bottom to the road - much better. The northern horseshoe of Meall nan Tarmachan looks maybe a good ski tour
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby AbbsFooty » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:04 pm

Beautiful greenery and lakes. It looks like a perfect day! Wow, thanks for sharing! I loved what you put there... Cool! :lol:
AbbsFooty
Mountaineer

Munros:3   
Fionas:1   

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:13 pm

Great Photos.
Ascent of Meall nam Maigheach by the standard route is tedious and boggy (though mercifully short) , but the hill is redeemed by the views particularly of the Ben Lawyers group but also of the hills to the west and north which are very fine . I descended roughly down your route - easy dry grass slopes and then walked back along the valley bottom to the road - much better. The northern horseshoe of Meall nan Tarmachan looks maybe a good ski tour
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland