walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

1st WH North America Meet Up - 13th April 2014

Re: 1st WH North America Meet Up - 13th April 2014

Postby Gable Gable End » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:27 am

prob going to struggle for a trip during the week but i'm currently keen for something, somewhere between thurs 10th to Sun 13th. Multi-day preferably! Are you guys around earlier than the Sunday?
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby HighlandSC » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:47 pm

I'm still eyeing up a plan to get down to this meet one way or another. Should be able to confirm in the next few days.

IF we come down.....

We definitely won't be in the area until Saturday night at the earliest.

Happy to stay in Greensboro on Sat and meet in Greensboro if that's where you guys will be on Sun, but really it doesn't matter to us. We'd be as happy to stay closer to the trail... I don't know the area,...but quickly looking at the map shows Johnson City and Kingsport to the north of the mountains. Other options to the South staying in NC look like Hickory or Asheville. I'm sure there's tons of tiny spots all around that would also do.

Gable Gable End wrote:prob going to struggle for a trip during the week but i'm currently keen for something, somewhere between thurs 10th to Sun 13th. Multi-day preferably! Are you guys around earlier than the Sunday?

No multi-day for me! Won't be there long enough, and I'm a lazy unfit thing these days :lol:
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby HighlandSC » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:06 pm

Okay..it unfortunately looks like we won't make it, so really don't make any plans based on what I said.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby ChrisW » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:10 am

Gable Gable End wrote:prob going to struggle for a trip during the week but i'm currently keen for something, somewhere between thurs 10th to Sun 13th. Multi-day preferably! Are you guys around earlier than the Sunday?

Not me I'm afraid :( Available for beer Sunday night but nothing before that, I guess it's quite a trek from Houston for our little AT wander.....hopefully there will be others in the future though :D

HighlandSC wrote:Okay..it unfortunately looks like we won't make it, so really don't make any plans based on what I said.

Dammit Scott, got my hopes up and then down again 1 paragraph later :crazy: would have been great to meet you two down in NC/TN....maybe next time :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Stretch » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:02 am

Scott, sorry you and Michelle can't make it. I'm sure I'll see you down this way again though, you've adapted well to life in the south and my guess is you'll be needed some Smoky Mountain moonshine soon. :lol: Johnson City would be the best spot to stay, there or Bristol. I went to college in JC and it's a nice town with plenty of good places for grub and drink.

Stu is still brewing up a plan, and I let him know that I'd be free for the whole weekend if he comes back to TN.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby MG1976 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:36 pm

Hi Chris,
Just finalised my plans for my trip to Ca, next week.
It turns out that, although crossing states lines is still deemed grounds for divorce (castration) :lol: , I will be in Yosemite from the 11-15th April.

If I get myself to the top of a nice "little" peak on the 14th, does that count as a WH Tour ???
We could claim we could see each other from our respective summits. Either that or a bit of Adobe Photoshopping :wink:

Anyway, looking forward to my trip, and i hope you have a great time yourself.

MG
MG1976
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:1   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:43 am

MG1976 wrote:If I get myself to the top of a nice "little" peak on the 14th, does that count as a WH Tour ???

That counts mate, no worries :lol: Looks like you are in for some great weather too, around 70 and sunny for that week ....perfect. 8)

Yosemite is just a bit too far out of the way for my return trip but if you come back to California and I am still around here I will take a ride down there :wink: have a great time mate and post some pics when you get back :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby sross » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:49 pm

Chris, what a great idea, and we are even going to be in the neighbourhood! Unfortunately the only walking I'm going to get is around the golf courses near Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. After the winter we've had, there is no way to convince my husband that we should for go a day of golf to go hiking in North Carolina. I hope the weather is awesome for you and the gang. The long term forecast looks quite favourable, although maybe even a bit warm for those of us whose blood has had to turn almost solid to get through this Canadian winter.

Enjoy!!!

Sparky
sross
Mountaineer

Munros:2   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:15 am

sross wrote:Chris, what a great idea, and we are even going to be in the neighbourhood! Unfortunately the only walking I'm going to get is around the golf courses near Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. After the winter we've had, there is no way to convince my husband that we should for go a day of golf to go hiking in North Carolina. I hope the weather is awesome for you and the gang. The long term forecast looks quite favourable, although maybe even a bit warm for those of us whose blood has had to turn almost solid to get through this Canadian winter.

Enjoy!!!

Sparky

Hey Sparky, I'm with you entirely, me and the Mrs will be going to Virginia Beach next friday (I'm already on the way) and having a great trip so far. We actually considered Myrtle Beach but have ended up staying further north so we can visit Kitty Hawk and Roanoke Island...I'm loving that warmth down here and I'm only in Missouri right now :lol:

Have a great time in SC :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs