walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stunning sunset from winter wild camp high above Appin.....

Stunning sunset from winter wild camp high above Appin.....

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:41 am

Route description: Creach Bheinn, from Druimavuic

Corbetts included on this walk: Creach Bheinn (Loch Creran)

Date walked: 16/03/2014

Time taken: 18 hours

Ascent: 850m

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Back in early November the signs were promising for a cracking winter ahead – high pressure, new snow, freezing temperatures and blues skies. Just the sort of conditions I was after for testing my SCARP tent on a winter wild camp!

“No need to rush in” I told myself – wait a while and the high pressure will return at some point……….. 5 months later and here it was!!!! Anyway off I headed and I arrived at Druimnavuic at the back of 3 in the afternoon. Just over three hours till sunset so I was keen to get going and get up to the top and pitch the tent in time to enjoy the sun setting – I knew it may be tight!! The destination for the wild camp was for the summit of Creach Bheinn – a Corbett which was still on the tick list – and which also had fabulous sea views sitting west of Glencoe and Glen Etive.

Video report

The sun was shining and it was warm. So warm that I was in my tea shirt right all the way up through Coire Bhuide and onto the ridge. I reached the ridge around 16.40 and the shadows were already growing long! I carefully picked my way up the steep side of the 804m summit trying to avoid the deep snow drifts- the snow was not frozen here and I found myself thy deep at point so tried my best to stick to the grassy ridge!! The views back east and south towards Glencoe and Glen Etive were simply stunning. The peaks were white capped and against the blue sky looked amazing! I was looking forward to getting a good sunset (and I was not disappointed!!).

I decided to pitch the tent near the 804m summit as I would need to return hear to hear back down the north ridge in the morning anyways. I pitched as quickly as I could then literally ran to the summit to try and get some shots of the sun setting. The view was amazing – all I can say is see the video!! The red light from the lowering sun lit up the rock and I can easily see why so many hills are called Beinn Dearg!! I eventually pulled myself away from the summit and made my way back to the tent just before all light was lost.

For a while the wind died completely but it soon picked up and I had a rather disturbed sleep with the wind waking me up at regular intervals through the night……….

I was glad when 05.30 came around and I made some coffee and headed to the summit for an amazing sunrise. The sun came up just west of Ben Starav and the beams of sun light shone through the haze.

A memorable 30 minutes was spent taking it all in, however I needed to get back for family commitments so soon headed down the ridge and steeply back into Coire Bhuide – soon reaching the track I had taken on the way in. I was back at the car by the back of 09.00 and speaking to walkers heading off for the day A great first outing for the Scarp and new sleeping bag and mat – was cosy even though there had been a substantial frost at all levels through the night :D

Occasionally you hit the jackpot and can find yourself in the right place at the right time……

Last edited by wilkiemurray on Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
wilkiemurray

Re: Stunning sunset from winter wild camp high above Appin..

Postby scoob999 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:55 am

Simply STUNNING :D

Cant remember the last time there was a high pressure at the weekends :? Great video of a lovely area, almost tempted to try a high camp :D
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby rockhopper » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:07 pm

Magic :thumbup:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby tweedledog » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:33 pm

Lovely stuff! :D
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby Benjaminnevis » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:20 pm

Oh aye great stuff WM :clap: . is that a 80l pack as it looks like you got every thing in it rather than strapping stuff on. what sort of weight are you carrying fully loaded.
Not sure my 60l is going to be enough for over nighters.Nm
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby Collaciotach » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:38 pm

Sgionneil :clap: :clap:

Been my intention all Winter to high camp on the Suaineart side of Loch Linnhe for the sun down / up .... not quite happened yet :?
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby scottishkennyg » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:27 pm

A1- Superb images.
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby heatheronthehills » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:28 pm

Wow, amazing! We were on Tom a'Choinich and Toll Creagach on Tuesday and wished we had brought the tent as we could tell it was going to be a stunning sunset.....and from your video it was. Oh well, maybe next time! Hope it's not another 5 months til the next high pressure.
heatheronthehills
Walker

Munros:208   Corbetts:88
Fionas:68   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:15 am

Sunset, sunrise, oooooh this is too much :lol: . Just beautiful.
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:34 am

scoob999 wrote:Simply STUNNING :D

Cant remember the last time there was a high pressure at the weekends :? Great video of a lovely area, almost tempted to try a high camp :D

Thanks Scoob- Spring is nearly here - perhaps it can bring some high pressure system in with it!! fingers crossed :?
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:34 am

rockhopper wrote:Magic :thumbup:
Thanks rock hopper
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:35 am

tweedledog wrote:Lovely stuff! :D

Thanks
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:39 am

Benjaminnevis wrote:Oh aye great stuff WM :clap: . is that a 80l pack as it looks like you got every thing in it rather than strapping stuff on. what sort of weight are you carrying fully loaded.
Not sure my 60l is going to be enough for over nighters.Nm

Hi Benjamin, it is indeed (a 65l +15l). I actually bought it for Morocco trip but didn't use it. The only additional items I added to this in comparison to my other wild camps (with a 30L bag) were my crampons and ice axe ! I even had less water as I had my new water filter. As you say it did mean I didn't have to strap items to the outside of the bag though. Suppose it depends on what you are planning on carrying but I reckon I could've managed with a 60L on this one :D

P.S. No idea what weight it was - looked big but that was my first use of the bag and I reckon I could hav packed it down a little better :lol:

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:44 am

Collaciotach wrote:Sgionneil :clap: :clap:

Been my intention all Winter to high camp on the Suaineart side of Loch Linnhe for the sun down / up .... not quite happened yet :?

Thanks Collaciotach

That area is on my list too - perhaps in summer to bag a few Corbetts - think there is a Creach Bheinn over there too somewhere. Did the Rois Bheinn circuit a few years back and was beautiful.

Thanks

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:45 am

scottishkennyg wrote:A1- Superb images.

Thanks Kenny :D Kinda wished my camera was a little better to try and get some starry night shots :( maybe treat myself soon....

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland