walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sh**y Sheasgarnich

Sh**y Sheasgarnich

Postby basscadet » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:09 am

Route description: Creag Mhòr and Beinn Heasgarnich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Heasgarnich

Date walked: 09/03/2014

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 16.5 km

Ascent: 840m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So this weekend, looked pretty windy on Saturday.. Dougie chose to work it in the hope of a finer Saturday another time, so we didn't set off until Saturday afternoon, heading for a wee wild camp spot in Glen Lyon. It was as windy as forecast - thank goodness for the hurricane-proof tent :wink:
We awoke in the morning to find the wind had not dropped as forecast.. :? Should we set off and see how we got on? Surely it would drop eventually.. :roll:

Heasgarnich.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So we drove up to the dam, and with drizzle getting blasted in our faces, we headed up the road that goes over to Glen Lochay. As we got a little higher, we got a good view of the dam, and saw a huge jet of water getting blasted into the air.. :shock:

The sun came out a bit, didn't make any difference to precipitation levels, but at least there were some dim rainbows to raise a smile to our faces. :) We turned off the road toward the dam, which turned into a track soon after. Some of the gusts had me stopped in my tracks, which made for a surprisingly energy sapping walk along the undulating track alongside the loch. :(

We passed a big boat shed and carried on a bit further before we got to Chall burn. There was an extremely rickety bridge over, just some rotten planks really, but we were both glad we didn't have to ford the river - Sooo much snow melt :shock:

Once over, we sheltered by the side of the track for a cereal bar, then headed stright uphill.
The going was rather less boggy than expected with all the thawing going on round about :?

It was an easy camber at first, but it soon got steep, and increasingly snowy. No firm consolidated snow anywhere! :?

We were getting blasted with varying amounts of rain from our right, but the wind wasn't getting any worse for the increase in altitude, and the sun came out again for a time, and we were getting some nice views of the loch..

The snow patches were melding together by now, and we made it up to the main ridge, for an unpleasant few hundred yards getting thoroughly coated in icy sludge :crazy:

It was a joy to get up to the 949 point on the map, where there was a deep crack in a rock that gave us some good shelter - we weren't hungry, but just to get out of the wind for a few minutes was heaven :lol:

With every stich of clothing we had brought on, we headed toward the summit, knowing it was only a km or so away.. surely we could make it that short distance? It turned out to be easy walking, we were round the corrie a bit, so sheltered from the wind now by the summit itself. :) I noticed the ground was getting rather steeper than expected, then I saw above me, I was heading up to a cornice :shock: As I got a bit closer though, I noticed part of it had caved in already, so headed for that and with a monumentous effort, made it over the edge to the summit plateau 8) Dougie was a little behind, so i waited for him and we sought out the cairn together. :D

We didnt hang around for long, it was too chilly to stop, and we headed down the NW ridge' this side of the hill rather more icy, we were soon stopped to put the crampons on. We only needed them for a couple of hundred yards, but I dont think I could of made it down without them. :shock: I was just fickering with them, when Dougie said, 'look behind you' and I suddenly it was clear! :D We could see the Buachaille, Ben Alder, Etive hills - just braw! (in the claggiest way possible :lol: )

Well at least we could see the ridge ahead now, the crack signifying the edge of the cornice, a good 20 yards from the edge :shock: We tried to keep close to the rocks that pierced the white blanket, and soon we had our crampons off

We rocketed down soft beds of snow, almost right to the burn that comes down from the corrie. It was a very flooded burn, and rocky as it was, the crossing was still a little adrenaline filled. :crazy: Dougie looked long and hard before he found a spot he was happy with, and it wasn't far from there, back to the track.

The wind had finally dropped significantly suddenly, but the rain got heavier, :( so it was a damp trot back. We decided that it would probably be quicker to cross the dam, and get back to the car that way, and it gave us a good chance to check out the huge jet of water that must of been 100' tall at least!

impressive stuff. It was getting wetter by the moment, so not too much hanging about before the race back to the car :D

Shame the weather was wrong again, but I enjoy battling the elements every now and then.. Makes for a satisfying day :wink: The way things are thawing out, there will be no snow left by next weekend, so glad we made the effort while there's still some fun white stuff out there too :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Re: Sh**y Sheasgarnich

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:00 am

Nice one, BC - might do Sheasgarnich from that direction next time.
Saw what i take it must've been Dougie's car by the wee bridge on Sunday when we were coming back from our walk on the other side of the dam - I wondered what other nutters were out on a day like that :lol:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby basscadet » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:33 pm

weaselmaster wrote:Nice one, BC - might do Sheasgarnich from that direction next time.
Saw what i take it must've been Dougie's car by the wee bridge on Sunday when we were coming back from our walk on the other side of the dam - I wondered what other nutters were out on a day like that :lol:

Och aye, on a better day you could do Creag Mor too, but not the best of days to do it Sunday :wink:

I would rather be out and sodden, than bored at home.. Just not sure Dougie feels the same :lol:

Sunny was resting at Broxden for this one.. she still has a broken nose after the deer incident by Loch Maree.. She should of been fixed by now, but with her paint code not corresponding to her colour, and already having the wrong bumper, repairs aren't as straightforward as I hoped :(
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby ChrisW » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:09 am

rather more icy, we were soon stopped to put the crampons on. We only needed them for a couple of hundred yards, but I dont think I could of made it down without them.

I think you would have made it down faster without em B :shock: .... :lol: :lol:

Great entertaining write up as always and some lovely photos on a not so lovely day :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby basscadet » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:22 am

Aye, faster, but in a bloody mess.. :shock: :lol: :lol:

Glad you enjoyed reading :wink:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Postby AnnieMacD » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:15 pm

You are so intrepid, I love reading your reports! :clap:
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Collaciotach » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:19 am

Yer keen :D

The wind is a pain ..roll on Spring proper :wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby scottishkennyg » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:37 pm

Nice one BC..liked the image of the spouting water, very impressive...
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby Bert Barnett » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:40 am

You certainly have grit. The recent strong winds have delayed my plans. On Friday 14 March I retreated from high on Beinn Udalmain, I was being blown off my feet every few seconds. Needless to say the burns were torrents. Beinn Dearg, (Atholl) on Tuesday 11 was a rare treat of firm snow and gentle winds by contrast. Wishing you better weather next time.
Bert Barnett
Mountain Walker

Postby basscadet » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:05 pm

Bert Barnett wrote:You certainly have grit. The recent strong winds have delayed my plans. On Friday 14 March I retreated from high on Beinn Udalmain, I was being blown off my feet every few seconds. Needless to say the burns were torrents. Beinn Dearg, (Atholl) on Tuesday 11 was a rare treat of firm snow and gentle winds by contrast. Wishing you better weather next time.

Aye, the wind has definately been a pain in the hoop this winter.. :?
I thought you would of been out through the week though? There have been a few bonny days lately, just seems to turn nasty for the weekends :roll:
Going out with dad at the beginning of April if you fancy another windy disaster like that trip to the Fannaichs :lol:

Collaciotach wrote:Yer keen :D

The wind is a pain ..roll on Spring proper :wink:

Oh I would see more caught out than keen.. the weather was supposed to be a bit better than we got, and once you have spent the petrol to get there, you might as well give the route a go :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland