walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First spring outing - Mt Keen

First spring outing - Mt Keen

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:02 pm

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 18/03/2014

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 759m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Having been trapped by the weather since a foray to Garva for Meall na h Aisre at the end of last year, couldn't wait any longer and took my bike up Glentannar to the shieling. I was a little tardy setting off from Westhill at the crack of noon.
The Shieling Brig Glentannar.jpg

Walked up the mighty scarred pathup over the hump and during my many stops saw the Royal estates burning heather.
Heather Burning on Deeside 640p.jpg

Summit Plook of Mt Keen.jpg

Then with unfit rubbery legs tackled the final plook to reach the trig point and look across to Ben Avon and Lochnagar - still plastered in snow.

Summit o Mt Keen.jpg

The return trip was uneventfull until the chain jumped off my bike and required a wee bit of engineering to fix it.
Had some difficuilty getting my bike on the car rack in my fatigued state - what's new !
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:90
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

Re: First spring outing - Mt Keen

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:09 pm

Thanks for the memories - have been up this hill several times - and got a gale at the top on each one :crazy:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Re: First spring outing - Mt Keen

Postby seasgaich99 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:15 am

Well done! For an Aiberdonian like me, this was a cherished mountain, (although Lochnagar was my favourite). I first saw it fwhen playing golf at Tarland in the early 1980s, and set my mind to getting up there sometime. I've walked it all five times to date, from Glen Tanar and Glen Lee. Once, I got my brother to drop me at Tarfside, and I climbed Mount Battock, the Hill of Cat, Tampie and Mount Keen, then down to meet brother and Mum at the old Bridge of Tanar. Maybe next time, I'll take my bike - seems a grand idea.

The last time, I did it with a chum - Dave's from Westhill too, by the way - and we went in by the Queen's Well. February 1996. It was blowing a hoolie on the summit, spin drift getting inside balaclavas and drilling our faces. A quick bite huddled in the ring cairn and a chat with a German chiel, then back down to sanity!

The things we do for love, eh? :wink:
seasgaich99
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:216
Fionas:113   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:7   Islands:24

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland