walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A couple of Ochils

A couple of Ochils

Postby Sarah86 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:12 pm

Route description: Dumyat by the hill path

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Dumyat

Date walked: 03/03/2014

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I am normally out walking every day with the dog but not that the weather has gotten a bit milder and I am trying to get my fitness up again I have been trying to go a couple of walks in the ochils each week seeing as they are on my door step. We have been to Dollar Glen and Bank Hill, Dumyat (twice) , Alva Glen and Glenque Reservoir. I am lucky that I finish work at 3 so can get home fairly quickly and set off.

I parked at the bottom car park and enjoyed the always pleasant walk up the glen.

Once we reached Castle Campbell I decided to continue on to bank hill seeing as Penny had a spring in her step. It is not a long walk to the summit but gives a good little work out and for a small hill you get wonderful views. From the exit of the glen I followed the path that is further to the right which sets off uphill and again through some trees. Once the top of the path is reached it is clear to see the path to Bank Hill

A pose at the summit

She then decided to run a couple of laps round the cairn

Wonderful views to be had

I ended up going down a different path to the ascent which was a bit steeper and although it had been a beautiful afternoon a dark cloud was looming and it started to drizzle

Another pose, Saddle Hill and Whitewisp in the background

The sun was still shining to the east giving a lovely view of Castle Campbell

Rain coming in from the west

Luckily the rain never came to much and I was even treated to a rainbow

The Castle grounds showing the signs of spring

This was a perfect way to spend a couple of ours after work. I do find walks like these more enjoyable during the week as there is less people around.

Last week we had more sunshine (shock!!) so we headed up Dumyat from the Sheriffmuir Road... after two years of driving I have only just started driving this road :lol: Even though a week day when the sun shines Dumyat is always a popular stop off for plenty of people.

I decided just to head to the lower summit and enjoy sitting alone for a bit as there is still decent views to be had. Although it was sunny it was a little windy on top so I didn't wait around too long.

I think of all the Ochils Dumyat gives the best views to the River Forth

Another summit pose

The sun had started to set on our route down

A beautiful spring evening to be out

Always on the look out

Sunset and Ben Lomond

On route home I spotted a beautiful sunset so stopped off in a layby near the Both at Manor Powis.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Re: A couple of Ochils

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:50 pm

Cracking photos Sarah, especially the sunset images. Nice one :clap:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby RicKamila » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:37 pm

Lovely report and some ace photos!! Well done Sarah.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby seasgaich99 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:07 pm

You've done well with those splendid images, Sarah.

My first of 2 visits to Dumyat included a thorough clean-up of the summit cairn. My pal thought I had lost the plot, but the inane reality was, as usual with such rubbish, that the 2 full bags carried down were only a fraction of the weight originally lugged up there on however many separate trips.

Great views are to be had from that summit. :wink:
seasgaich99
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:216
Fionas:113   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:7   Islands:24

Postby Graeme D » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:09 pm

The summit of Dumyat (if you have it more or less to yourself) at sunset is truly a fantastic place. Quite electric actually. Your pictures capture it perfectly. :D :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby ChrisW » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:18 pm

Lovely shots of a wonderful wee wander Sarah, some of those shots of penny compete with the landscape for excellence and the one of her circling the cairn is just fantastic, really catches the mood :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Sarah86 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:07 pm

Thanks, it has been great to get out and about on the hills again as January/February have been quiet months for me. I'd love to be on the summit of Dumyat with the cairn and trig at a sunset but I think it would be difficult to be there alone and when I do go prepared there is never a sunset :lol:

I didn't see too much rubbish when I was up but come the summer there will be wrappers everywhere no doubt.

I was surprised at her having a spin around the cairn as she will be 11 in June so thought the hill walk was enough. She then had another two runs on the route down lol
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Postby tweedledog » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:45 pm

Good to see Penny enjoying the first signs of spring; looking nowhere near 11. Daren't show the pictures to The Whippet. He's 9 and not looking as fit as that...
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:47 pm

tweedledog wrote:Good to see Penny enjoying the first signs of spring; looking nowhere near 11. Daren't show the pictures to The Whippet. He's 9 and not looking as fit as that...

Thank you :) I have seen photos of your whippet and he looks in fine shape. She is getting to the age where some days I can hardly keep up with her going up hill and some days she isn't to keen so I just make the most of the days she is full of energy. Was great to see her charge around at the top of the hill.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:03 pm

Hi Sarah86, I have still to do this hill, and hope to save it for a day such like you had, clear views. Does Penny not take a great photograph or what, looks a lovely dog. Glad you had fine day, and some fabulous photographs to boot. :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland