walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Who needs Munro's

Who needs Munro's

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:10 pm

Route description: King's Seat Hill from Tillicoultry to Dollar

Donalds included on this walk: Innerdownie, King's Seat Hill, Tarmangie Hill

Date walked: 24/03/2014

Time taken: 5.3 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 900m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A cracking day in near perfect weather, as usual my plan went slighty wonky.
Car was parked in Dollar at the top car park where there is room for 16 cars, overlooking Castle Campbell.
Set off at 9am & headed NE on the good path which is sign posted for Glendevon with the intention of heading west through what on my OS map looks like a gap in the heavily wooded area. However the trees to the north aren't even christmas tree height yet.
This part of the walk was by far the hardest as it involved climbing over 2 fences & climbing up very spongy, soft undergrowth, it was as hard as walking on soft snow. After a struggle I eventually picked up the "real" path which heads between Whitewisp & Innerdownie - what a relief. I was surprised how much snow there was, as it turned out the snow was useful because one could see plenty of boot prints to indicate the path.
I have to say that the views from Innerdownie were outstanding, equalling any munro & probably better than most.

DSCF3225.JPG
My start point

DSCF3228.JPG
Path to Glendevon with the real forest in the background

DSCF3233.JPG
My unconventional route of ascent, not to be recommended

DSCF3236.JPG
The correct path, with Innerdownie in the distance

DSCF3240.JPG
Does anyone think these things enhance the views from a summit?

DSCF3245.JPG
Unfortunately the photo's don't do the views justice

DSCF3246.JPG

DSCF3247.JPG

DSCF3248.JPG
Views in every direction from Innerdownie

DSCF3255.JPG
Glenquey Reservoir

DSCF3256.JPG
Glendevon

I could have taken literally 100's of photo's from Innerdownie, but the breeze was picking up so it was onto the next stage. The walk from Innerdownie to Whitewisp is easy & the views make the walk a joy, there was plenty of snow along most of the path.

DSCF3266.JPG
Whitewisp Hill summit

DSCF3268.JPG
The path to Tarmangie, which you can see in the distance, very easy going

DSCF3269.JPG
Kings Seat from Tarmangie

DSCF3270.JPG
Tarmangie summit, with Innerdownie in the background, arty or what!

DSCF3271.JPG
The path follows the fence to my next port of call, Kings Seat

One of the problems (for me anyway) is when the visibility is so good, I am always tempted to take 'the more direct route'. I could see Kings Seat & from Tarmangie the direct route looked like it would involve quite a bit of descent then ascent, so I opted to stick to the path & follow all the boot prints in the snow. However the route was anything but direct, as Kings Seat is alomst due south of Tarmangie & the long winded path involves climbing Kings Seat from the west. Maybe one day in the future I will explore the direct option :lol:

DSCF3275.JPG
A few views to the south

DSCF3278.JPG

DSCF3294.JPG
Castle Campbell from on high

DSCF3298.JPG
The path I took initially, taken whilst descending Kings Seat

A thoroughly enjoyable day, one more Donald left to tackle in the Ochils, but I will definitely return, especially as they are so close
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Who needs Munro's

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:26 pm

Have to agree with you, great views are to be had from the Ochils. My local hills and give a good vantage point in all directions.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:18   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:36 pm

Hi there again Fife Flyer your certainly following in my footsteps of last year, until last year I had never ventured near the Ochils, wow! now I realise how much I have missed, wonderful for a long leg stretch with so many variations of walk when you get to the summit. Lucky you they must be pretty local to you as well. :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Graeme D » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:44 pm

Yes, these are great hills. You get a little bit of everything from up there! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:22 pm

Been too long since I was in the Ochills, cheers for the gentle reminder :) .

but...

"Who needs Munro's" - back to English class for you! :wink:
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:53 pm

You counted the parking spaces beside Castle Campbell ???? You need to get out more :lol:

Did this walk last June (but in the opposite direction) and thoroughly enjoyed it. After Innerdownie I headed down the track towards Burnfoot which then linked up with the RofW back to Castle Campbell. made for a really good circular.

Went back in August and parked in one of those 16 spaces and went for a wander round Castle Campbell with the Mrs - well worth a visit.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:59 pm

Gordie12 wrote:You counted the parking spaces beside Castle Campbell ???? You need to get out more :lol:

Did this walk last June (but in the opposite direction) and thoroughly enjoyed it. After Innerdownie I headed down the track towards Burnfoot which then linked up with the RofW back to Castle Campbell. made for a really good circular.

Went back in August and parked in one of those 16 spaces and went for a wander round Castle Campbell with the Mrs - well worth a visit.

If you had paid a bit more attention on approaching the car park, it clearly states there is space for 16 cars. It is useful information especially as the road up is steep with no passing places :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:22 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:
Gordie12 wrote:You counted the parking spaces beside Castle Campbell ???? You need to get out more :lol:

If you had paid a bit more attention on approaching the car park, it clearly states there is space for 16 cars. It is useful information especially as the road up is steep with no passing places :wink:

Hi Fife Flyer

My attention was probably focused on getting to the car park in one piece - the road up to the Castle reminded me of the single track road over to Kilchoan in Ardnamurchan (tree lined road, single track and blind corners) and my record of getting off that road in one piece is pretty rubbish (my excuse for missing the sign!!!).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby gmr82 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:27 pm

Hi Fife Flyer - what a difference a year makes, me on the 29th March last year, on the way to Tarmangie! No fence jumping for me!

I also had the same issue with the photos not doing the Munros justice, FifeFlyer you should head over to Blairdenon soon - by far the best views of the Munros and hopefully a bit of snow left on the tops too
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland