walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Tuilachean - no Ardrain, an evening at A&E! (not me)

Beinn Tuilachean - no Ardrain, an evening at A&E! (not me)

Postby GillC » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:25 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Tulaichean

Date walked: 15/03/2014

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 891m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a day in the same area last week for a challenging Corbett (Stob a' Choin) I arranged to meet John and Stevie Blurton for the Tulaichean/Ardrain doubler, again from Inverlochlarig, with a booking to stay overnight at the Tyndrum trekkers huts for another day out around Lui and friends tomorrow.

We were all arriving from different places so a 3 car meet up at Inverlochlarig on a bit of a dank morning, the only rain I'd seen on my way North was a bit of drizzle around Callander but it didnt look too promising for the rest of the day.

We didn't spend long getting booted up. I'd decided my feet couldn't take the pain of my Scarpas any more, so had on a pair of Mountain Warehouse boots I'd used for the West Highland Way some years ago and on many summer climbs since, great comfy boots but not waterproof, so I'd put the yeti gaiters on them, snug fit all round, except for the cross over strap so I knew they wouldn't keep the water out completely but heck,,wet feet or PAIN? I know which one I preferred.

The forecast was for wind and light rain and so far, a bit blowy with a touch of drizzle, so waterproofs on at ground level.

We headed off along the farm road and past the house, over the broad wooden bridge taking a right at the sign pointing into the boggiest cow s41t covered field ever. (We saw I diversion further round the track last week on our way to the Corbett but as there was no indication here that this was necessary, we took the first option)

Up through a muddy track above the farm with the lower crags of Tulaichean above and around to our left. Carrying on for a short way, our aim was simple, get up the front of those crags.

DSCF2058.JPG
The way to go

Leaving the track that would also be our return route, we wandered up a very boggy hillside. Burns simply rolled down over the grass, didnt even have the decency to stick to their tracks :crazy:
Nothing too steep really as you had to zig zag around and between the outcrops, mainly on grassy hillocks so the ascent was broken up into managable chunks. :D

The crags and rocks provided a lot of shelter from the now buffeting wind so we had a few stops, chats etc.

DSCF2063.JPG
Smiley smiley,,and some dodgy geezers up at the rocks

DSCF2065.JPG
Consulting the gps

As we approached the top of the ascent, the wind speed really picked up so by the time we reached the flat top at 905 mtrs , we were being blown around BIG styleee :crazy:

We seriously struggled to stay on our feet across the top, the summit is only about half a km away and at 946 mtrs, there was no noticable ascent from here but it took ages, having to stop, hunker down, lean in to the wind, jamming poles in the ground etc, anything to stop being blown off the east side of the hill. John came back at one point and literally dragged me by the arm down off a wee rocky bit lol We managed to reach the low summit cairn, dragged ourselves on to it for some pics, standing was almost impossible, taking steps was even worse lol With absolutely no point in hanging around, off we staggered. The sound of much cursing was blown away on the wind as I struggled to even move one foot :lol:

DSCF2069.JPG
Sheltering under a shelf of snow

DSCF2070.JPG
WHAAAAAAAT?

Stevie and John were a few yards ahead when I saw John slip and fall into a sitting position, when he didn't get up immediately, I thought there must be something not right. On reaching them, Stevie says John thought he'd broken his finger and sure enough, when I looked down, with his hand out of his glove, that was one mighty crooked looking pinky!! OUCH :o

He assured me it wasn't hurting but we decided to get down to the bealach and a bit of shelter to reassess the situation. When we stopped, the finger was looking decidely angry and swollen. Helping John bandage the last two fingers together for support, I saw Stevie wander off, turns out hes not so good with bones, we were close to losing him in a dead faint,,whats a girl to do? lol

Bandaged up and unable to put his glove on, we decided it wasn't worth the last push to Ardrain but to get off and to a hospital. One for a return trip me thinks.

DSCF2071.JPG
Still smiling with a bandaged hand

My feet, though comfortable, were now soaked as we picked our way down the bealach to the track. Shame we were so close and this was also the first day of Johns 2 week holiday where he had hoped to get a chunk of his remaining 92 Munros done but plans are there for the changing.

DSCF2074.JPG
A bit fuzzy,,but I think that's my eyes after the wind lol

Summary - Stirling minor injuries clinic, 2hrs 40 wait,, 1 hr consult, dislocated finger, return visit to Glasgow Royal Infirmary on the Monday, all clear but finger still sore, swollen and a bit delicate.

No trip to the Lui group on the Sunday, another raincheck there too.

For me, Clickety Click, Munro 66! check.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Re: Beinn Tuilachean - no Ardrain, an evening at A&E! (not m

Postby simon-b » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:21 pm

A good decision to descend when you did, Gill. Injured or not, going on to CA would have been bad without gloves for John. I did these two in fierce wind and rain last May, and going on to Ardrain was very hard work. I guess you might now be approaching CA from the north?
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby GillC » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:26 pm

simon-b wrote:A good decision to descend when you did, Gill. Injured or not, going on to CA would have been bad without gloves for John. I did these two in fierce wind and rain last May, and going on to Ardrain was very hard work. I guess you might now be approaching CA from the north?

Cheers Simon, The north approach was my preference as it would cut out the long track in,,but who knows, might get it this weekend hopefully. :)
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby Tomsie » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:56 am

Yeah hopefully get back there this weekend.
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland