walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

South Glen Shiel Ridge

South Glen Shiel Ridge

Postby gman » Thu May 30, 2013 1:25 pm

Route description: South Glen Shiel Ridge: 7 Munros

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Air Chrith, Creag a'Mhàim, Creag nan Dàmh, Druim Shionnach, Maol chinn-dearg, Sgùrr an Doire Leathain, Sgùrr an Lochain

Date walked: 29/05/2013

Time taken: 8.15 hours

Distance: 26.75 km

Ascent: 2018m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

sgs ridge actual 29-5-2013.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Left home about 5:30 and there was very little traffic going up the A82 along Loch Lomond, roadworks hadn't started at Pulpit Rock when I drove up, but when I came back they had extended the single track section around the traffic lights with cones so delays possible for the next 60 weeks.

Plan was to park at the Cluanie Inn & have a leisurely cycle downhill then do the ridge west to east. Ridge from the Cluanie:

Took about 25min to get down to the start of the walk, ditched the bike in a ditch & set off.

Met a couple of guys here who had left bikes at the Cluanie and parked here, they'd missed the start of the path so had to backtrack a bit. Further along the path there's a bridge.

Then an uphill grind, feels like summer's here now...

...so it's good to have a cool burn further up to help cool down. At this point I was thinking about the coast downhill on the bike...which meant the starting point is a couple of hundred metres lower than the Cluanie Inn...so I would have to add that to the ascent on the walk d'oh.

Path then turns east and zig zags up to a bealach.

Other 2 walkers looked like they'd continued on instead.

Up on the ridge now, hard work getting here & the reward is another hike up Creag nan Damh.

Back to Sgurr a Bhac Chaolais.

Ups & downs on the way.

Back to Forcan Ridge.

Towards Shiel Bridge.

Sisters.

Brothers.

Scramble down:

No.1 Creag nan Damh:

Next, a non-Munro with a handy bypass path :D

Steep going up Sgurr an Lochain.

No.2 Sgurr an Lochain. Looking back from the top.

Over to Knoydart.

Next up, it's Sgurr an Doire Leathain. Cairn is slightly to the north off the ridge.

Sgurr an Lochain lochan. Muriel Gray is sure there's the remains of a crannog there.

Sgurr an Lochain from further along. Met a couple of fell runners coming the opposite way here, we agreed this is the best looking hill.

No.3 Sgurr an Doire Leathain, and a nice easy walk over to

No.4 Maol chinn-dearg, looking back to Sgurr an Doire Leathain. Met a veteran walker here who had completed the Munros and had come up this one on a stalkers path to enjoy the views. I was already wondering what time I'd get back to the car, pick up the bike, 3 hour drive home etc so it was refreshing to meet someone enjoying a day in the hills without time/bagging pressure.

Anyway, nice bit of ridge leading to Aonach Air Chrith.

Glen Quoich leading to Loch Quoich.

Scrambly bits.

No.5 Aonach Air Chrith with a wee bit of snow. First hills I'd done in Kintail without snow on them and felt like something was missing - hopefully winter will be back soon :lol:

Last 2, looks like an easy grassy walk to both of them.

No.6 Druim Shionnach looking to Spidean Mialach & Gleouraich.

And a last wee scrambly bit before the final hill.

No.7 Creag a'Mhaim with Lochs Cluanie & Loyne.

Then a zig zag path down to reach the road, looks like there would be a short cut near the bottom on the map but I couldn't find it.

Tarmac road is rough going after a nice ridge, relief to get back to the Cluanie. Great day though :D
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: South Glen Shiel Ridge

Postby skuk007 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:21 pm

What a great report gman. Scotland looking it's finest in those photos.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby ceaser » Thu May 30, 2013 8:34 pm

cracking pictures as usual gman ,i was up Spidean Mialach and Gleouraich yesterday and looking over to the ridge , got it in my sight and waiting for a decent day ,at least i know roughly what time i,ll take now :D
ceaser
Walker

Munros:90   Corbetts:51
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby houdi » Thu May 30, 2013 8:39 pm

Really envious of your superb pics. Did this route about three years ago at the beggining of May. Lots of cloud and hail showers around. The ridge looks totally different with clear skies. I remember getting to the Clunie Inn and ordering something to eat. Couldn't even get the fork to my mouth as I was shaking like a leaf through loss of sugar. Should have bought half a dozen bars of tablet instead :)
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby mr_ash_37 » Thu May 30, 2013 10:27 pm

Fantastic pics thanks for sharing. Grt report too
mr_ash_37
Munro compleatist

Munros:66   Corbetts:3

Postby soapy27 » Fri May 31, 2013 5:56 am

Great report and photos Gman still got this to do so nice to get an insight of whats involved , thanks :D
soapy27
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:175
Fionas:23   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:54   
Islands:23

Postby gman » Fri May 31, 2013 4:05 pm

Cheers folks, been lucky with the weather on the last few outings so I'm probably overdue a day in the clag :lol:
gman

Postby vinniehill » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:12 am

Hi Gman
Me and my climbing buddy are hoping to do this ridge round about the end of june and we are doing it the same way as you my only concern is the scramble down before we reach creag an damh looks tricky :? the photos are amazing though and gives a good idea what to expect, can't wait to do this
vinniehill
Mountain Walker

Munros:96   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby gman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:32 pm

vinniehill wrote:Hi Gman
Me and my climbing buddy are hoping to do this ridge round about the end of june and we are doing it the same way as you my only concern is the scramble down before we reach creag an damh looks tricky :? the photos are amazing though and gives a good idea what to expect, can't wait to do this

The scramble is easy, photo is flat so it looks near vertical but you'll have no problems. Hope you get the same weather as me!
gman

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:37 am

looked like a cracking day gman - some great photos....
wilkiemurray

Postby vinniehill » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:20 am

Thanks for replying gman thats good to hear after the scramble down it looks like an amazing ridge walk and yes hopefully the weather will favour us
vinniehill
Mountain Walker

Munros:96   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland