walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

Lakes meet up 12th/13th April (UPDATE)

Lakes meet up 12th/13th April (UPDATE)

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:53 pm

Several folks have expressed an interest in a potential meet up involving those of us in the North of England. Me and Hughie the Westie are staying close to Penrith for the weekend while Grace and Nicola head off to Paris so I thought I'd have a go at getting a few of us together for a wander or two. Anybody from anywhere is of course welcome so put your suggestions for what route/routes we could walk and what hostelry we might have a pint in.
My own preference is for Hellvelyn, Dollywaggon Pike, Nethermost Pike and perhaps something involving Place Fell on another day as Hughie needs to bag these to catch up. I'm not 100% tied to this however so please feel free to suggest away. I'll be PMing those of you who have expressed and interest in attending,

Anthony

UPDATE: Meeting point will be tourist information (NY386170) in Glenridding at 9:00AM Sunday the 13th of April
A good hostelry for afterwards may well be the the Travellers rest on Greenside Road as it is dog friendly.

If anybody wants to join me for the Saturday I'll be parking at Sandwick (NY424196) at 9:00AM
Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Lakes meet up 12th/13th April

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:04 pm

Hi Anthony,
Would've been nice to meet up on this weekend but unfortunately i'll be working on the saturday 12th & have other plans on the sunday 13th. Have a great trip & hope you get a few takers for the meet.

Cheers,MM.
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:43   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:28

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:48 am

Morecambe Monkey wrote:Hi Anthony,
Would've been nice to meet up on this weekend but unfortunately i'll be working on the saturday 12th & have other plans on the sunday 13th. Have a great trip & hope you get a few takers for the meet.

Cheers,MM.

Thanks for the reply, another time perhaps :thumbup:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby L-Hiking » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:38 pm

Anthony

Hope you enjoyed the hike on Wednesday? I had a horror of a day in the office :(

I must get myself back looking on to the WH site, i am spend too much time with local football administration!!

I have noted the 12th and 13th April and although will not be staying over hope to join you on one of those days. Most probably the Sunday 13th.

As regards your choice I am happy to climb any of those fells, even though it will not increase my bagging total, they are all great mountains.

Hope to see you Tuesday and we can discuss further

Geoff
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Ibex » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:27 pm

Would love to come. Just so happens that I need to bag all the Wainwrights that you mentioned.
However I recently started a new job and work long hours. 56 hours so far this week and have to work again tomorrow. When the rugby is on. Not happy!

If I can get the time off then I would love to come and walk the hills with some others. Will be good to see Anthony's photography in action.

Of course all of this is subject to the approval of the wife. Maybe I can get her to come along. Though she walks even slower than me. :lol:
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130

Postby hutchy1 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:37 am

Hi johnkaysleftleg a great idea would be great to meet up I live fairly local so am happy to go with the majority on the walk choice
hutchy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:279   Corbetts:21
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:113
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:10 am

hutchy1 wrote:Hi johnkaysleftleg a great idea would be great to meet up I live fairly local so am happy to go with the majority on the walk choice

Great stuff hutchy, hopefully the weather will play ball so perhaps we can shoehorn striding edge into the walk.

Ibex wrote:Would love to come. Just so happens that I need to bag all the Wainwrights that you mentioned.
However I recently started a new job and work long hours. 56 hours so far this week and have to work again tomorrow. When the rugby is on. Not happy!

If I can get the time off then I would love to come and walk the hills with some others. Will be good to see Anthony's photography in action.

Of course all of this is subject to the approval of the wife. Maybe I can get her to come along. Though she walks even slower than me. :lol:

I wouldn't worry about walking slowly, my fitness levels are seriously poor at the moment, trying my best to rectify this in time however. Hopefully you can make it :D

L-Hiking wrote:Anthony

Hope you enjoyed the hike on Wednesday? I had a horror of a day in the office :(

I must get myself back looking on to the WH site, i am spend too much time with local football administration!!

I have noted the 12th and 13th April and although will not be staying over hope to join you on one of those days. Most probably the Sunday 13th.

As regards your choice I am happy to climb any of those fells, even though it will not increase my bagging total, they are all great mountains.

Hope to see you Tuesday and we can discuss further

Geoff

Sorry to here about your crappy day mate, probably didn't help looking out on that lovely sunshine. All go for Tuesday, at the moment staying on the east side of the country looks the best bet, moors or perhaps a wander in teesdale?
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby jamesjones » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:40 pm

Anthony,

Happy to report I've already booked holidays for that weekend. Would love to come along for the trip. Will be sleeping in my converted van. Send me the details when they're confirmed and I'll see you there. Will drive from Alnwick, Northumberland on the Saturday morning.

Jimmy
jamesjones
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:9   Donalds:45
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:91   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:12 pm

jamesjones wrote:Anthony,

Happy to report I've already booked holidays for that weekend. Would love to come along for the trip. Will be sleeping in my converted van. Send me the details when they're confirmed and I'll see you there. Will drive from Alnwick, Northumberland on the Saturday morning.

Jimmy

Great stuff, see you there :)
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby nigheandonn » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:13 pm

Wish I could - I'm just about ready to move onto Eastern Fells! - but I'll be somewhere along the first bit of the Pennine Way that weekend.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby DaveB1 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:53 pm

Hi Anthony

Not sure if you got my reply to the PM but I'm up for it. Sunday best for me, got the royal assent :lol: Let me know where and when. Dave
DaveB1
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:172

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:33 pm

nigheandonn wrote:Wish I could - I'm just about ready to move onto Eastern Fells! - but I'll be somewhere along the first bit of the Pennine Way that weekend.

s
Shame you can't make it, good luck on the Pennine way.

DaveB1 wrote:Hi Anthony

Not sure if you got my reply to the PM but I'm up for it. Sunday best for me, got the royal assent :lol: Let me know where and when. Dave

Great stuff Dave, Sunday is looking like by far the busiest day so far. I was going to wait till closer to the time to finalise potential routes, hopefully with an indication of the weather.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Ibex » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:00 pm

Not likely i'm going to make it. Work is getting a bit silly.
Worked from 05:40 till 18:10 today and had extra work taken on for a Saturday. So i'm back in at 05:50 for another big day. That is getting more and more usual. Might be toping 65 hours of work this week.

I'd love to come up to the Lakes if only for a few days walking, but its not looking likely i'm afraid. :(
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130

Postby simon-b » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:51 pm

Hi Anthony. Have you any preferred route for the Helvellyn three? Some friends and I were thinking about ascending Dollywaggon via the tongue and leaving Helvellyn along Striding Edge this year. Any chance our plans could be compatible?
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:35 am

Ibex wrote:Not likely i'm going to make it. Work is getting a bit silly.
Worked from 05:40 till 18:10 today and had extra work taken on for a Saturday. So i'm back in at 05:50 for another big day. That is getting more and more usual. Might be toping 65 hours of work this week.

I'd love to come up to the Lakes if only for a few days walking, but its not looking likely i'm afraid. :(

That's a shame mate. Better to have a job however so you have enough money to get to the hills eventually.

simon-b wrote:Hi Anthony. Have you any preferred route for the Helvellyn three? Some friends and I were thinking about ascending Dollywaggon via the tongue and leaving Helvellyn along Striding Edge this year. Any chance our plans could be compatible?

Sounds good, only issue I can think is even with an early start we may well meet loads of people coming the other way on Striding edge which would be a pain. The route up Dollywaggon is one I've looked at before.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs