walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wyvis, Little and Big a WH meet appetizer!

Wyvis, Little and Big a WH meet appetizer!

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:05 pm

Route description: Ben Wyvis, near Garve

Munros included on this walk: Ben Wyvis

Corbetts included on this walk: Little Wyvis

Date walked: 28/03/2014

Time taken: 4.75 hours

Distance: 18.2 km

Ascent: 1408m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was to be the start of the Walkhighlands Spring Meet and Fife Flyer (Martin) had arranged with myself to meet up and with me staying near Inverness the night before, had the time and inclination to head on up Little Wyvis a Corbett in the morning and then to hopefully join Martin, Chris (jepsonscotland)and Jelena on the path up Ben Wyvis.

After driving through a heavy rain storm to get to the car park before Garbat near the Allt a' Bhealaich Mhoir I arrived and kitted up and left at 1015hrs

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
There is a well constructed path at the entrance of the car park which takes you to both Little Wyvis and Ben Wyvis and does not take you long until you come out of tree plantation. On the right is Little Wyvis the left Ben Wyvis
2.JPG
View of the Tom na Caillich and Little Wyvis from further up the path
3.JPG
In about haf an hour you reach the outskirts of the wooded area where you find an easy river crossing just adjacent to the East perimeter of the forest plantation on the South of the riverAllt a Bhealaich Mhoir
4.JPG
Walk along the outside of the woods and after reaching the end of the woods at about 450m continue on the same line to meet a line of fence posts, follow fence posts until you come across a track traversing the West shoulder of Little Wyvis. At this point I walked along the track for about 300m as up until now the underfoot conditions were very wet and muddy
5.JPG
The track mentioned earlier, after that another shower came and on with the waterproofs and the visibility worsened, so no photographs taken were worth posting. With no visibility it was map and compas and GPS used until the summit cairn found. Not hanging about at the summit and now seeing the wooded area I had climbed beside decided to check if Martin had arrived. Putting on the mobile which had been turned off a message was already there saying they had arrived and had started off, so off I headed back to bottom of the Bealach Mor when I saw two figures dressed in red and one in white. After confirming it was them well ahead of time, I just headed on down to meet up
5a.JPG
Chris Martin and Myself taken by Jelena
6.JPG
Looking back at Little Wyvis from the now well constructed path up Ben Wyvis, although some of the steps were pretty deep and might take the tolll of tired legs when coming down, although the path was quite soft in places which helped the legs and old joints
7a.JPG
The newish path looking back (well it wasn't built the last time I'd climbed it!
8.JPG
Jelena further on towards An Cabar
9.JPG
Along the long summit ridge, being buffetted by cold strong cross winds
10.JPG
After meeting another couple and two single walkers we finally reached the summit, hard going in the snow and very strong winds
11.JPG
Another summit pose
12.JPG
Some adjustments and additions required to Jelena's gloves, or should I just say, putting on Chris's second pair, for warmth
13.JPG
Now out of the extreme wind and feeling very pleased with ourselves
14.JPG
Walking out
15.JPG
Those steps to be tackled!
16.JPG
Heading on back thinking of the Fish Supper that awaited us at Ullapool
17.JPG
One last look at Little Wyvis
18.JPG
Nearly of the steep section and easier walking
19.JPG
Anyone who reads this who not already has been to a WH meet should really consider coming along, great company and just a fabulous weekend
20.JPG
Last final look at Ben Wyvis before heading off to Ullapool and then Basecamp at Inchnadamph where John and Anne had arranged to Meet up. What a start to the weekend!
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Wyvis, Little and Big a WH meet appetizer!

Postby Happyfeet » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:42 pm

Looked really windy and cold at the top. Jelena posing as a stormtrooper i see :wink:
How was the fish?
Happyfeet
Munro compleatist

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:24   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:49 pm

Happyfeet wrote:Looked really windy and cold at the top. Jelena posing as a stormtrooper i see :wink:
How was the fish?

The thought of the fish supper kept us going, and yes it did not disappoint, better than trying to cook in a wee tent porch :lol: :lol: Yes very windy and cold but it's a lot easier with a wee group rather than on your own :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby old danensian » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:22 pm

As you say - what a start to the weekend - and the contrasting visibility we experienced over the next few days.

Kept on thinking I was seeing stills from an Alistair McLean movie with Jelena's kit.

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:56 pm

Another good report Rod, you certainly get plenty of practice :wink: You certainly took more photo's than me, however your camera was alot more accessible than mine :wink:

I was trying to pursuade Chris to do a spot of composing, but he was still feeling guilty after the "hake incident" :lol:

Love the stormtrooper comment 8)
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Graeme D » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:27 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Another good report Rod, you certainly get plenty of practice :wink: You certainly took more photo's than me, however your camera was alot more accessible than mine :wink:

I was trying to pursuade Chris to do a spot of composing, but he was still feeling guilty after the "hake incident" :lol:

Love the stormtrooper comment 8)

Nice wee hors d'oeuvre Rod. And that hake incident should henceforth be known as "Hakegate". :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby tummelv » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:17 pm

Nice pictures. Did this the day after you lot and the wind was incredible. Any ideas what speed it was? the mountain forecast said 30mph on Saturday but it felt so much stronger.
tummelv
Mountain Walker

Munros:24   Corbetts:25
Fionas:19   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:77   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:30 pm

tummelv wrote:Nice pictures. Did this the day after you lot and the wind was incredible. Any ideas what speed it was? the mountain forecast said 30mph on Saturday but it felt so much stronger.

Hi there tummelv, the weather forecast re winds was absolute rubbish, the gusts were I guess 60mph maybe more. I was on Quinag in Assynt the same day and was blown over at one point.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby jepsonscotland » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:35 pm

Great report Rod.

You forgot to mention that after Little Wyvis you then RAN down to meet us and then did Ben Wyvis :clap: :clap: :clap:

Jelena did very well considering this was her first winter walk, which we only found on the summit plateau when she was freezing. She was very impressed with the help we all gave her. We explained to her that she would always see this "band of brothers" attitude amongst us walkers and it really sums up the flavour of the whole weekend.
A well deserved fish supper in Ullapool too. :D
Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:49 pm

jepsonscotland wrote:Great report Rod.

You forgot to mention that after Little Wyvis you then RAN down to meet us and then did Ben Wyvis :clap: :clap: :clap:

Jelena did very well considering this was her first winter walk, which we only found on the summit plateau when she was freezing. She was very impressed with the help we all gave her. We explained to her that she would always see this "band of brothers" attitude amongst us walkers and it really sums up the flavour of the whole weekend.
A well deserved fish supper in Ullapool too. :D
Chris

Jelena did do very well considering the little amount of hill gear she had on, good on her for going on! :clap: :clap: I did not do a great deal, but I was impressed with all the amount of spare gear you had with you, excellent back up! Yep the fish supper tasted good, but I think anything would have gone down well, I was starving! Did you get the photos Chris?
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby jelena » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:07 pm

Happyfeet wrote:Looked really windy and cold at the top. Jelena posing as a stormtrooper i see :wink:
How was the fish?

"A stormtrooper" Is it about me????I am flattered by that, getting more famous in the WH circles :roll: :wink: :D :lol:
Rod, very nice report and very nice company. To tell the truth I was impressed by mountain brotherhood and by all you guys.Thank you very much to Martin, Chris, Rod, Peter, Theresa, Johnny, Jackie.
Dont expect report from me, too many professionals and huge competition around. I will write on the Russian forum and where I will be the only such one!!!! :clap:
I am so happy happy happy
jelena
Mountaineer

Munros:30   Corbetts:19
Donalds:3

Postby mountain thyme » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:42 pm

Well done Rod.Looked a cold day :( It definately wasnt as bad a few miles up the road that day
Did you plan the 3 matching red jackets and black trousers at the summit :D

Was nice to meet you :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

Postby mountain thyme » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:44 pm

jelena wrote:
How was the fish?

"A stormtrooper" Is it about me????I am flattered by that, getting more famous in the WH circles :roll: :wink: :D :lol:
Rod, very nice report and very nice company. To tell the truth I was impressed by mountain brotherhood and by all you guys.Thank you very much to Martin, Chris, Rod, Peter, Theresa, Johnny, Jackie.
Dont expect report from me, too many professionals and huge competition around. I will write on the Russian forum and where I will be the only such one!!!! :clap:
I am so happy happy happy

no worries Jelena. It was good to walk with you and thank you for the company to Inverness :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:37 pm

mountain thyme wrote:Well done Rod.Looked a cold day :( It definately wasnt as bad a few miles up the road that day
Did you plan the 3 matching red jackets and black trousers at the summit :D

Was nice to meet you :D

Nice to finally meet up with you as well Theresa! Maybe meet up on a Corbett one of these days either by chance or at a WH meet :D yes there were a few layers needed on the summit right enough, and the goggles were also required.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby David-Main » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:10 pm

Nice report Rod, well done on the 2 hills and catching up with the others. :clap: The old knees are not that bad :wink:
David-Main
Backpacker

Munros:280   Corbetts:47
Fionas:14   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:20   
Islands:21

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland