walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Cruachan and Stob Diamh- Munros 13/14

Ben Cruachan and Stob Diamh- Munros 13/14

Postby DJG78 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:14 pm

Route description: Ben Cruachan and Stob Daimh

Munros included on this walk: Ben Cruachan, Stob Daimh

Date walked: 02/03/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1376m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I chose Ben Cruachan for today’s Munro bag due to A: The fine walk description. (I’m a sucker for a ridge walk) B: Because I was staying in Luss so only a 1hr drive away (as apposed to my normal 4hr drive from Durham, and C: Because I have toured the power station underneath so was looking forward to viewing it’s exterior rather than its bowels!
SDC11823.JPG

I was not disappointed. Once you get up to the dam through the woods the views are awesome. Especially on a day like today. Not a cloud in the sky, the water was like glass and the air surprisingly warm considering it was -9 when I got in the car at 7.30am. Normally the reading changes on the dash when to car heats up but not this morning. It was still -9 when I got to Cruachan station at 8.40am! As usual I donned all clothing for warmth and had to remove it within 5 mins because of the relatively steep ascent through the woods. Textbook error overdressing at the start of the walk! I do it every time and never learn.
SDC11828.JPG

Anyway once the fashion was corrected it was onwards and upwards to the mighty dam wall. When I reached it I was boiling, I was almost down to my T-shirt probably because of the radiant sunshine which had increased the temp to +6 but somehow it felt a lot warmer perhaps due to sweating from the climb.
SDC11838.JPG

I liked the look of the dam. Pretty cool striking structure if you ask me. Enjoyed climbing the metal steps. It reminded me of a Bond film set. I had visions of Roger Moore chucking some baddy off the top. Overactive imagination strikes again!
SDC11852.JPG

I took the walk descriptions advice, after walking round the reservoir, and headed West after the small cairn up towards Coire Dearg. Once reached I enjoyed a 2 day old ham sarnie. Not sure if enjoyed’s the word but anyway after a 2 hr slog to get this far owt would do! I was struck by the silence while having my lunch. You could hear a pin drop. It was amazing. I decided to don my newly purchased crampons and swap my cheapo walking pole for my snazzy new ice axe. As soon as these were on I spotted a gully worth investigating just right of where you would normally ascend the first part of the ridge. It looked a lot easier than it was to climb and I started feeling a little unsure of my ability to continue. The thought was a bit late however as I was now over half way. I continued tentatively upwards and soon grew in confidence as my gear was proving to be great to use and doing the job nicely.
SDC11858.JPG

After completing about 75% of the gully I came across some interesting ice formations and removed my also new sunglasses and popped them though a loop on my backpack strap so I could take a photo. After struggling, even with my ice axe, to climb another 10% I realised that they had decided the head back down the gully themselves without saying tarar! To my horror they had stopped about halfway down which meant either A: leave a brand new very expensive pair of glasses behind (No! they were not stolen, it had been a good month ok!) or B: well you can guess. After much cursing, sweating, aching and another 50% ascent I flopped out onto the ridge exhausted but looking cool as out, all shaded up! 8)
SDC11859.JPG

Later, after a hard slog (which wouldn’t have been so tasking if I hadn’t climbed the gully 1.5times…whinge!) I reached the summit. What a view! I am sure I could see Ben Nevis in the distance but my geography isn’t great so don’t quote me on that. I was amazed at the number of summits all around me. I took a few snaps then headed along the ridge impressed with the ease my crampons were carrying me. I didn’t take long to tire though. I was quickly starting to flag and my legs were all over the place. Soon I was sick of walking like Stevie Wonders **** puppet! I found it really difficult to quordinate my feet I was so tired. I had to wade through some pretty deep & thick snow which didn’t help.
I stopped for dozens of rests then I ran out of water. Funny how you suddenly become extra thirsty when you have nowt to drink!!
SDC11861.JPG

During what felt like a million more stops, and still blaming the pummelling gully for killing my legs, I reached the summit of Drochaid Ghlas before traversing to the top of Stob Diamh. Loved the views but was plagued by the seriously sore legs so I decided to head down the grassy flanks to the dam ASAP. I was glad to reach the car shortly after at 4.30pm. A complete time of 7.5hrs in total.
SDC11866.JPG

2 Munro’s in the bag and some of the finest weather and views on the hills I have had the pleasure to witness. A tiring but excellent day. Stroll on Ben Vane tomorrow.
DJG78
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Re: Ben Cruachan and Stob Diamh- Munros 13/14

Postby Milesy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:45 pm

I was roasting walking up past the dam as well. It is a little bit of a heat trap with the water and shelter all round. Fantastic day you got up there!
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby Milesy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:47 pm

Also that gully looks cracking. Can you identify it on the map? I love gullies!
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby mountain coward » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:59 pm

I know what you mean on the exhausted staggering - I do quite a bit of that myself sometimes! :lol: You don't need a drink with all that snow - just eat some of that - before you do though, make sure you keep yourself warm when you do it as hot or cold substances in the mouth are the quickest way to heat up/cool down!
mountain coward

Postby DJG78 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:56 pm

Hi Milesy

If you look at the OS map the gully is located in square 29/06 just north along the ridge 20m above the Bealach an Lochain. Sorry i can be more specific, i hope this helps. If you follow the walk route you will see it on your right as you near the ridge.
DJG78
Mountain Walker

Postby DJG78 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:01 pm

mountain coward wrote:I know what you mean on the exhausted staggering - I do quite a bit of that myself sometimes! :lol: You don't need a drink with all that snow - just eat some of that - before you do though, make sure you keep yourself warm when you do it as hot or cold substances in the mouth are the quickest way to heat up/cool down!

Nice Tip about the snow MC cheers Buddy. I did atempt to eat a little bit but i wasnt sure if it would be ok. I remember watching the Cairngorm surivor episode of Bear Grylls but couldnt remember what he said about eating the snow or drinking mountain water. Now i know!
DJG78
Mountain Walker

Postby Milesy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:54 pm

actually... I read something about your body actually uses more water to provide energy to melt the snow than the water it gets
Milesy
Stravaiging

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland