walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mothers Day in the fells

Mothers Day in the fells

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:36 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Fairfield, Great Rigg, Seat Sandal, Stone Arthur

Hewitts included on this walk: Fairfield, Great Rigg, Seat Sandal

Date walked: 30/03/2014

Time taken: 6

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 1000m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With March looking increasingly like a write off in terms of Wainwright bagging it was a relief to see a fine forecast for Sunday. Only problem was I was due to be on standby at work :( so a deal was struck with a colleague to cover for the grand price of a pack of Grasmere Gingerbread :D enabling Nicola to enjoy mothers day wandering in the fells.

With place and time set, a very early start (clocks going forward) saw us pull up to the lay-by on the A591 just outside of Grasmere on a beautiful hazy Lakeland morning. This isn't the best place to start a walk from as the coaches and cars hurtle by but this is all soon left behind as we started up the bridleway to Patterdale.
There is a choice of three ways up Seat Sandal from here but in an attempt to avoid retracing our steps I decided upon the long curving grassy south ridge. This looks like a very easy gradient from the road but it soon became apparent that it was far steeper than it looked. It turned out to be hard work and quite unforgiving until the summit plateau is reached.

Looking towards the Greenburn Round

Looking towards Grisedale Hause

Helm Crag

St Sunday Crag

Grace and Hughie on Seat Sandal

Grisedale Tarn and St Sunday Crag

Following basking in relatively warm sunshine on the way up the top of Seat Sandal it was decidedly chilly on the top so we ensconced ourselves behind a small crag and enjoyed lunch as we took in the fine if hazy views.
Seat Sandal to Fairfield is no great distance but unfortunately the substantial declivity of Grisedale Hause stands in the way. The route down starts quite gradually but increases in steepness untill you meet an almost vertical crag; fortunately a scree run heads off to help you get down safely. That said this way would require great care if there was snow or ice involved.
The one thousand foot ascent of Fairfield now loomed ahead of us but largely due to the quality of the path this wasn't too much of an issue and we made steady progress, with Hughie enjoying the few snow patches, to the broad stony apex of the day.
This was our second visit here in less than a year and given we've been granted wonderful views both times I'm growing rather fond of the place. We enjoyed coffee and a few more rations before heading off for the wonderfully easy stroll over Great Rigg.

Seat Sandal

Hughie Larking about in the snow

View towards High Street

Mothers Day

Heading towards Great Rigg

Hellvelyn and Dollywaggon Pike

South from Great Rigg

Once Great Rigg is traversed our route took us out onto a broad spur from the main Fairfield Horseshoe that terminates in the crag of Stone Arthur; it's certainly strange to approach a "fell" by heading downhill all the way. The only other time I recall similar was heading to the infamous Armboth Fell from High Tove, this is far more pleasant however and soon enough the prominent crag of Stone Arthur is reached. It's hard to see why when approaching from the main ridge this qualifies as an individual fell but in all honesty it inspired us to do a route we wouldn't otherwise have done so that's all fine my me.

Approaching Stone Arthur

Grace on Stone Arthur

Heading back to Grasmere

Once down by the road, with Stone Arthur now looking like a fell, Nicola, Grace and Hughie headed back to the car as I marched into Grasmere for some gingerbread. This delicacy has obviously proved to be a very popular mothers day present as it was sold out with only the wonderful aroma in the shop to tell of it's passing. :shock: :( Good job they do mail order! :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Mothers Day in the fells

Postby L-Hiking » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:08 pm

I see you have been getting some prctice in!!!
Nice report and good weather too
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby nigheandonn » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:22 pm

I wasn't all that far from you, around Red Screes - it did get cold for a while, but it was a lovely day compared to most before and since!
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:49 pm

L-Hiking wrote:I see you have been getting some prctice in!!!
Nice report and good weather too

Cheers Geoff, starting to get some fitness back now.

nigheandonn wrote:I wasn't all that far from you, around Red Screes - it did get cold for a while, but it was a lovely day compared to most before and since!

Another fine fell, it was great to get out on a really fine day.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby clivegrif » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:34 pm

Cracking report about a wonderful part of the Lakes - and a beautiful day too!

Great pictures as always - and the air seemed a lot clearer than it was in Wales (bit murky....).

Good to see you all in fine form.
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:54 pm

clivegrif wrote:Cracking report about a wonderful part of the Lakes - and a beautiful day too!

Great pictures as always - and the air seemed a lot clearer than it was in Wales (bit murky....).

Good to see you all in fine form.

Cheers Clive
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby AbbsFooty » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:13 am

Good report! :clap:
AbbsFooty
Mountaineer

Munros:3   
Fionas:1   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland