walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Mhanach with a big THANK YOU

Beinn Mhanach with a big THANK YOU

Postby Louise993 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:37 pm

Route description: Beinn Mhanach

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Mhanach

Date walked: 29/03/2014

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Popped up to Chrianlarich where the club were this weekend . A few had dropped out so i decided to nip up after work and walk with Jim on the Sat .

Accommodation was interesting ..shared dorm , basic mattresses bring a sleeping bag scenario.

Ian, Brian and Aileen were staying to .

Great start to the day was me ending up in the ditch by the layby . This could have been a disaster however 4 lovely walkers that were passing took the time to push me out of the ditch . :clap: . Some covered in mud before they even got up a hill .

Unfortunately never got their names or a chance to thank them as by the time i came back round they were off and we never did bump into them the rest of the day , so if you are one of those four or know of them please pass on a great big thank you . It was very much appreciated :D

Could definitely do with the bike for this one , would shave off the long walk in and out.

Good day, weather no bad.. at least not gale force winds for a change. A fun wee skyte down the hill on the large patches of snow still present .

In Jim style :lol: we took the wrong turning at the start purely due to chatting and no requirement of the map !! why would you need to stop and look at a map !!!???? :lol: ( just jesting Jim !)

For reference take a right before going over the bridge so you are on the right side of the river rather than the left. However you can still get through that way it's just more rougher with boggier ground than the lovely track on the other side.

Quite a popular hill today. 2 chaps who lost Ben (the dog) but thankfully found , and a lovely Tesco man kept us company for part of the walk too . :D

( will pop up the stats and map shortly)
Louise993
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:13
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Beinn Mhanach with a big THANK YOU

Postby sair feet » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:22 pm

In Jim style we took the wrong turning at the start purely due to chatting and no requirement of the map !! why would you need to stop and look at a map !!!???? ( just jesting Jim !)

And here was me thinking that was your role ! I supply the beauty, you bring the brains :lol:

I'll add my thanks as well to our good Samaritans who helped us out :clap:
sair feet
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:19
Fionas:2   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:5
Islands:41

Postby brpro26 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:15 pm

Usually your "guttered" at the end of the day...makes a change being at the start of it. :lol:

Will you be rebooking the accomodation next year Jim????
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby CharlesT » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:15 pm

Seems this has been a popular hill lately. I was up there from Glen Lyon on the 27th March, following the route taken by Basscadet, to whom I owe a thankyou for what was a really good walk, though the stones at Tigh nam Bodach were still in their winter quarters unfortunately. No dodgy river crossings either. :D
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby sair feet » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:36 pm

brpro26 wrote:Usually your "guttered" at the end of the day...makes a change being at the start of it. :lol:

Will you be rebooking the accomodation next year Jim????

Hey Brian,

That's a scurrilous allegation, wasn't much drinking done at Crianlarich anyway, in bed by ten after cocoa and a rich tea biscuit :(

Any suggestions for next years weekends ? I'm thinking somewhere a bit further than Crianlarich, maybe Tyndrum ? :lol:
sair feet
Munro compleatist

Postby Play2End » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:57 pm

Jim,
"By The Way", Tyndrum
Ian
Play2End
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:92
Fionas:73   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:17   Islands:32

Postby basscadet » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:00 pm

CharlesT wrote:Seems this has been a popular hill lately. I was up there from Glen Lyon on the 27th March, following the route taken by Basscadet, to whom I owe a thankyou for what was a really good walk, though the stones at Tigh nam Bodach were still in their winter quarters unfortunately. No dodgy river crossings either. :D

Apologies - I said before that the stones were out between the equinoxes but of course its Beltane to Samhain (Mayday to Halloween) they are oot.. Glad you enjoyed te route though :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby sair feet » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:07 pm

basscadet wrote:[ Apologies - I said before that the stones were out between the equinoxes but of course its Beltane to Samhain (Mayday to Halloween) they are oot.. Glad you enjoyed te route though :)

Thanks for the info - I assumed that the stones would be uncovered at the Spring Equinox, a few days before our visit, but as it was there was too much of a white-out at the top to venture over the other side.

I forsee a wee trip from the Glenlyon side :)
sair feet
Munro compleatist

Postby CharlesT » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:59 pm

basscadet wrote:
CharlesT wrote:Seems this has been a popular hill lately. I was up there from Glen Lyon on the 27th March, following the route taken by Basscadet, to whom I owe a thankyou for what was a really good walk, though the stones at Tigh nam Bodach were still in their winter quarters unfortunately. No dodgy river crossings either. :D

Apologies - I said before that the stones were out between the equinoxes but of course its Beltane to Samhain (Mayday to Halloween) they are oot.. Glad you enjoyed te route though :)

No need to apologise, really enjoyed the walk along Glen Lyon, terrific scenery and deep tranquility and the climb was straightforward and no wet feet. What more could you want? Think I'll visit the stones when I have my bike with me though. :)
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland