walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Waymarking on rob Roy Way

Waymarking on rob Roy Way

Postby mcjump » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:35 pm

Heya

The website of the Rob Roy Way has me a bit confused. The RRW officially is one of Scotland's Great Trails - but now it looks to me as if it's not waymarked. Not what I would expect.

Can someone who has walked it shed light on this? I'm looking at doing it at some speed, so if I need to allow time for more careful navigation (other than the "holy me, shouldn't that loch be on my LEFT?!") then I'll need to revise my planning... :crazy:

thanks!
mcjump
Scrambler

Re: Waymarking on rob Roy Way

Postby kmai1961 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:01 am

Hey, mcjump --

I walked sections of the RRW ~6-7 years ago, and at that time, it definitely wasn't waymarked (I'd expected it to be, like the WHW). We went badly wrong in the forest (one of the forests?) between Drymen and Aberfoyle, and ended up walking miles further than planned. They may have added waymarks in the interim, but to be on the safe side, I recommend that you go prepared to navigate.

Hope this helps ... enjoy,
kmai
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:91   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:51   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

Postby Kevin29035 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:55 pm

Something tells me I've seen wee markers on posts in the area "RRW" or something, but I cant be sure, sorry.
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:73   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby mcjump » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:26 pm

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll cut daily distances a bit to be on the safe side.

About the John Muir trail: I looked into walking that as well, but looks a bit like after Glasgow things could get a bit iffy when it comes to wild camping (especially when doing so with a hammock). Anyone have different info on that? If so I'd love to "do" it after summer. If it IS bad for wild camping then I'll head over to Kintyre instead.
mcjump
Scrambler

Postby basscadet » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:16 pm

It doesn't take seconds to glance at a map when you come to a junction in a path or track :? About the same amount of time it takes to look at a post with an arrow.. :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby RasheR » Thu May 08, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi Walked the Rob Roy Way from Aberfoyle to Glen Ogle during April 2014 and found the waymarking first class. RasheR
RasheR
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion