walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great Knoutberry Hill

Great Knoutberry Hill

Postby Broggy1 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:42 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Great Knoutberry Hill

Date walked: 10/04/2014

Time taken: 1.55

Distance: 10.3 km

Ascent: 461m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I got an early finish off work so decided to head into the Dales in search of a previously unclimbed Hewitt. I decided on Great Knoutberry Hill from Widdale Foot which looked pretty straightforward on the map and fairly quick - both important considering time allowances and the murky weather.

It was raining when I set off, initially along a tarred track before an uninviting sign warning of a bull in the field stopped me in my tracks! The route was a public right of way so I ignored the sign and followed what was now a muddy farm track onwards and upwards.

Widdale Bottom.jpg
The start point!

Tarmac track.jpg
Initial road out of Widdale

Not inspiring.jpg
Not an inviting sign along a right of way!

The mud was now horrendous, thigh deep in areas and I found it was far easier to stay on slightly higher ground before rejoining the path when it hit the forest and was much firmer underfoot.

In the forest.jpg
Out of the mud into the forest!

Once out of the forest the gradient got a bit steeper as I headed up into the mist along the Widdale to Dent Bridleway.

Eventually I came to a stile on my right which gave access to the open fell and from here it was an easy and not too wet underfoot pull up to the trig point which was in thick mist and was surrounded by a pool of water (touchable thanks to some nice stepping stones).

Trig.jpg
The Trig point on top

No views today and with rain threatening it was time to make a quick retreat back the way I came to the main Widdale to Dent track.

The wall I followed.jpg
The wall I followed to the summit

Stile and fence to summit.jpg
This stile on the right is where you turn off for the summit from the Widdale to Dent track

Lower down it had brightened up somewhat and I got a pleasing view of Widdale as I walked back in fairly bright conditions.

Looking back into Wenndale.jpg
Looking down Widdale

Wanting to avoid going back through the mud bath on the other side of the forest, I took a right turn onto a good track which seemed to lead back to the Main Road. There were no signs up at this side of the track but once back at the Main Road it appeared that this was actually a private road! Oh well....it allowed to me avoid the muddy farm track!!

Track back to Main Road.jpg
The private track I followed back to the road

From here it was a mile of easy road walking back to the car to complete an easy after work wander.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Re: Great Knoutberry Hill

Postby AbbsFooty » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:10 am

Sounds like a good walk! Bad because of the weather though! I guess you didn't see a bull then?! :D :clap:
AbbsFooty
Mountaineer

Munros:3   
Fionas:1   

Postby Sheepy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:38 pm

I did this on Sunday. Came up from the Dent side. Must say as far as Yorkshire Dales hills go it wasn't too bad for bogginess. It was however, very windy and quite chilly so we hid for lunch behind the little wall that has been built as some sort of windbreak. Got to give it it's due though the views from the top are pretty far reaching in every direction. It's certainly worth the fairly easy effort to get to the top.
Sheepy
Munro compleatist

Munros:2   
Hewitts:154
Wainwrights:203   Islands:3

Postby colgregg » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:45 pm

It is a good summit. I had a good day for it when I went there. It's all pretty solid setting off from the Bridleway on the road over to Garsdale and straight up the fence line to the summit. I did a there and back to the two tarns before dropping down to Arten Gill Moss and a return along the length of the track to the Coal Road.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby colgregg » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:51 pm

Sheepy wrote:I did this on Sunday. Came up from the Dent side. Must say as far as Yorkshire Dales hills go it wasn't too bad for bogginess. It was however, very windy and quite chilly so we hid for lunch behind the little wall that has been built as some sort of windbreak. Got to give it it's due though the views from the top are pretty far reaching in every direction. It's certainly worth the fairly easy effort to get to the top.

It's a great windbreak if faced by South-westerlies or blasts from the North east. Other than that it's bloody useless in the wind. Great as a dry spot to sit though.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Broggy1 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:40 am

AbbsFooty wrote:Sounds like a good walk! Bad because of the weather though! I guess you didn't see a bull then?! :D :clap:

No bull no - very strange sign though I thought!!
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Postby ChrisW » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:56 am

Dodgey weather Broggy but a lovely hike, that sign should say "entry to the field is free......the bull will charge later" :roll:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby 37201xoIM » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:01 pm

Did this walk via Broggy's route this afternoon, as I was needing something not too taxing after 2 weeks off with a chest bug...

Can report that the Arten Gill Lane track/bridleway up from Widdale Foot isn't at all muddy now (and there's been a fair bit of rain / snow lately), and that the "Bull in field" sign has now been removed from the gate at the lower end... but is still on the gate at the upper end! For what it's worth, I wasn't gored and saw nothing more threatening than sheep and some Lovely Horses...

Once you leave the bridleway at the stile (as per Broggy's report and photo), it's a little on the wet side, but pretty much average for the Dales. Somewhat annoyingly, at just about this point the fairly pleasant late afternoon closed in, so I can't comment on the views from the top... such is politics!

Took me 2 1/2 hours, but then I'm convalescent (and came down in the dark - yegods I detest GMT...!).

Thanks a lot for the useful report and GPX track!
37201xoIM

Munros:11   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:120
Wainwrights:45   Islands:19

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland