walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The tiring walk of snowdon!

The tiring walk of snowdon!

Postby AbbsFooty » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:27 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Snowdon - Yr Wyddfa

Date walked: 08/04/2014

Time taken: 5.25

Distance: 14.72 km

Ascent: 1008m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The day started with a one hour drive up to the premises of snowdon. Following short behind us in that journey was my grandpa (Rodmiester) and my granny as well! We drove to the car park at 300m climb however the car park was Unfortunatly too full. This meant we had to drive an extra ten minutes down the hill (no bother really!) We parked next to the Snowdon train station, which went up the hill for those people who didnt want to walk, and began our walk up the challenging mountain from the place "Llanberis"! We chose the longer and harder route ( actually we hd no choice considering the other route was not accessabaile with the car not being able to park) so it took longer but the journey was magnificent!

As we of closer to the top, the views were spectacular! There were other hills around snowdon to look down at which made it completely admirable! On that day the walk was much more quiter and less busy due to it being the week before the Easter holidays, my school was off, this meant that we could walk it quicker!

At the top of snowdon, we could literally see absoloutly nothing! The mist (clouds) clogged up the supposedly amazing views, I was sad about that but we reached the top (which was the main thing) and we collected litter on the way!

Overall the day was absouloutly amazing but quite tricky!
This is my first report and I am sorry for no photos! Hope you like it!
Please comment; that way I can improve my work! :D
Last edited by AbbsFooty on Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
AbbsFooty
Mountaineer

Munros:3   
Fionas:1   

Re: The tiring walk of snowdon!

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:38 am

A fine first report :) , look forward to further reports with photographs, of any hills you climb in the future. Happy hill hunting :D stay safe!
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby AbbsFooty » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:56 am

Thanks Rodmiester!
AbbsFooty
Mountaineer

Postby RiverSong » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:19 pm

Enjoyed your report, well done on climbing Mount Snowdon :clap:
RiverSong
Walker

Postby AbbsFooty » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:00 pm

Thank you very much, I enjoyed it loads! Have you been up snowdon? :)
AbbsFooty
Mountaineer

Postby stevesey » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:45 pm

Sounds similar to Friday (11th) - everything else clear - cloud persistently hogging the summit (but we weren't going there - walk report to come).

Pen-y-pass car park was busy at 9am on Friday but there were a few spaces (we stopped in the first lay-by below for Dinas Mot). I have heard it said that you are more likely to get a space after 1pm when the early walkers come off the hill!
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:214   

Postby AbbsFooty » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:46 pm

Thanks stevesey! I like your reports too, I am going o o some more reports, but with photos!
AbbsFooty
Mountaineer

Postby RiverSong » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:17 pm

AbbsFooty wrote: Have you been up snowdon?

Yes, I have and to my eternal shame I went up in the train!!! However, I had a baby and a toddler with me so I hope that is a reasonable excuse. I hope to go back one day and walk all the way :D
RiverSong
Walker

Postby AbbsFooty » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:34 pm

Yes, I have and to my eternal shame I went up in the train!!! However, I had a baby and a toddler with me so I hope that is a reasonable excuse. I hope to go back one day and walk all the way :D[/quote]

Of course it's an exscuse! I was about to go down on the train ( looked really fun) but looked past it! A baby and toddler would of never made it! Yer you should go back down and do it as it is a Beaty to walk! The views are spectacular- but I guess you saw them anyway!

Did you have fun on the train, may you describe it to me because I never got the chance?! :D
AbbsFooty
Mountaineer

Postby RiverSong » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:54 pm

It was a long time ago and I don't remember much about it. it was quite exciting when the train started moving and everyone was looking out the window at the views which were stunning. We were quite glad to get back down again because the toddler was full of energy and wanted to run around, he was much safer inside the train!

A lot of people knock going up mountains in the train but if you have health problems and cant walk far, or are on holiday and just out for a bit of fun then there's nothing to beat it. The funicular at Aviemore is great fun to go up although I shouldn't really say that on this website, I will get lynched :shock:
RiverSong
Walker

Postby AbbsFooty » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:19 pm

Hahahhah, I might go back and try the train! Just don't know what my dad will say! We live in england so i have to have a bigger resion to go! Such as a week cycling ( he likes cycling)! Anyway try to go, don't no where you live but it's good!
Do you like football- wanted to add that?! Lol :)
AbbsFooty
Mountaineer

Postby RiverSong » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:46 pm

I really think you should go back and go on the train just for a bit of fun - you will have lots of opportunities for climbing mountains, no reason why you shouldn't have some fun too :D

Sorry I don't like football but I know a lot of girls are playing it these days. I prefer swimming and cycling 8)
RiverSong
Walker

Postby AbbsFooty » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:52 pm

I like all sports lol! Swimming is included! :) I will try to go up, I like climbing too! :) thank you for looking at my report!
AbbsFooty
Mountaineer

Postby AbbsFooty » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:41 am

Has anyone else been to snowdon; how was your trip? :) :D
AbbsFooty
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland